Maine Lighthouse - Thoughts on Conversion Technique?

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited August 28, 2008 in Landscapes
I shot this view of Pemaquid Point Lighthouse on my trip to Maine. (It's the most-photographed lighthouse in Maine, so I read.) For a little different look, I thought I'd try to convert it to an older-looking print, perhaps as a poster. What do ya'll think of the conversion? Does it work? Here's a smaller view of the original also. Thanks, Lauren

359912324_pW8Ha-L-3.jpg

360390913_VudyN-S.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    I really like your website... Spirit was rescued 3 years ago! I wish I could rescue more but no more room in his sidecar!
    Well, I think, in my humble opinion, the sky seems to be a bit off... maybe too grainey? the rest does look antique... even the guy sitting in the chair!!!:D
    Of course I would not know how to fix it! I do not use Photoshop or digital enhancements.
    Be well... stop by Big Bend sometime!

Ara & Spirit
    The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
    My Gallery in progress...
    On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Beemer-

Thanks for the look. Glad you noticed the guy in the chair--wasn't sure whether to try and take him out of the shot. Sky is very grainy, which is part of the conversion. (I used the demo version of Exposure2 from AlienSkin.) But, I wondered if it was too grainy also, so I'll be interested to hear more comments.

Thanks for your comment on my website. I'm trying to bring some attention to our animals, especially since SA has had so much bad publicity about its shelters.

I'd love to stop by Big Bend sometime. I've been all over Texas but never there. Really want to come do some birding there!

Cheers,
    Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • navigator72navigator72 Banned Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    I thought the Portland Headlight in Cape Elizabeth was the most photographed in Maine. No matter, i love the older look of the lighthouse.

Are you from Maine? I live in southern Maine
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    navigator-- I live in Texas but my brother lives in Richmond ME and I was just up to visit him last week. May be back up in Oct also. Where do you live? As for which light is more photographed, I don't know how anyone would ever figure it out anyway? I'm happy to see any lighthouse and take its picture!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • saltydogsaltydog Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Hi Lauren,

While I love the overall color scheme of the conversion, I do think that the grain in the sky is a little too distracting. If it's that obvious in a web shot, I can't imagine that it would print too well on a larger scale and I've made that mistake for a long time - working on pics which looked good on the PC but not in print. I'd try to mask the sky and lessen the effect or reduce the grain there.

Other than that, I think it's a very cool photograph. Oh, and I LOVE Maine, I live in NY but have taken plenty of trips to Maine, to it's most remote areas as well, like the Allagash Wilderness Waterway. My favorite place is Jackman, 30 minutes West of Moosehead Lake and 18 Miles South from the Canadian border. A town named "Jackman", it doesn't get any better than that :D.
    all that we see or seem
    is but a dream within a dream
    - Edgar Allan Poe

http://www.saltydogphotography.com
    http://saltydogphotography.blogspot.com
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    I agree on the sky grain and also trying to remove/reduce the person in the chair. I also noticed you have some keystoning because of the angle you had to shoot up. The lighthouse and lighthouse keepers house look like they are tilting back somewhat. You may want to see how it looks it you take that out.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    I like it i think high contrast BW will look good too
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery