Options

Best Portrature Touch-up Software

Digital IllusionsDigital Illusions Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
edited April 20, 2010 in Finishing School
Ok, so I have been looking at a couple of different portrature touch-up software programs. But I am not impressed with any of them by any means. I want something that is as close to 1 click fixes/adjustments as possible.

The only software that I have found that I somewhat like is Portrait Professional but I do not like the manipulation of the facial structure.

So therefore I ask; What are you guys using? :scratch

Thanks.
Brian C. Gailey, Owner / Operator
Digital Illusions Photography & Design
1764 Shawna Ct, Klamath Falls OR, 97603
Email | Website | Blog | Facebook | MySpace |Newsletter | Subscribe

"The Race is long but in the end it is only with yourself" ~Unknown

Comments

• Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    The only software that I have found that I somewhat like is Portrait Professional but I do not like the manipulation of the facial structure.

I've only tried PP once, but I'm pretty sure the facial structure manipulation
    was an optional step.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    pyrtek wrote:
    I've only tried PP once, but I'm pretty sure the facial structure manipulation
    was an optional step.

i just downloaded the new trial to make sure this option was or was not available and your right there is a way to turn it off. thumb.gif

there is an on/off button for Face Sculpt Controlls. if its turned off, then ther is no facial manipulation.

Thanks!! wings.gif

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 29, 2008
    Has anyone tried Portaiture by Imagenomic?

I like Imagenomic's Noiseware a great deal.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Howard BarlowHoward Barlow Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Has anyone tried Portaiture by Imagenomic?

I like Imagenomic's Noiseware a great deal.

I have the bundle. It's the best there is. Give it a shot.
    You don’t pay me by the hour. You pay for the years of hard work that made it possible for me to paint such a picture in only one hour! Pablo Picasso
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    I read this post, and downloaded a trial copy of Portrait Professional. It seemed to do a pretty good job, and I really did like the facial reconstruction. Subtle but effective.

Seemed to be good on skin smoothing.

I say seemed because with trial version all you have some deal killer (at least for me) limits.

I processed one of my recent portraits, and wanted to save it so I could open up this version along with my hand done PS version in Photoshop for comparison. The trial doesn't allow you to save anything, so I couldn't compare the two.

While the next version up does work on 16 bit files it is a stand alone application, and doesn't recognize the PS file format. I would really like a plug-in, and to work on psd files.

Oh well maybe in the future. I think they have a neat idea.

Sam
  • Options
    AardAard Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 2, 2008
    I like the 1click portrait actions http://www.1clickactions.com - they work very well for me and are decent value.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will check out these other software titles too. thus far I am becoming more impressed with portrait professional each time I use it. I still only have the trial so I too cannot save the image to compare it. nonetheless I am still trying out other products.

• Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will check out these other software titles too. thus far I am becoming more impressed with portrait professional each time I use it. I still only have the trial so I too cannot save the image to compare it. nonetheless I am still trying out other products.
    I have used Portrait Professional for sometime now. I was quite impressed with the trial version and as you have all said I was unable to save anything. However, I paid £35.95p and after I tried it out I was even more impressed once I got the hang of the sliders etc, etc. I didn't think the trial version did the software justice so I would strongly advise anyone to go for Portrait Professional. I usually do the portrait on CS3 and use Portrait Professional for the final touches.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    PP is great. Currently this is the only additional piece of s/w outside CS that I use. I only wish they had a PS plug-in, cause my workflow would require to use them mid-process...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    I was trying PP software tonight and was looking for people who actually use it. Nikolai, do you still use it? I read on their site that version 9 has a studio version that has a PS plug in.
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    I use PP for all my closeups on the skin (where I do anything to the skin).
    Works great and you can make is as strong or as weak as you want. Takes about 2 or 3 minutes per shot.
    I have been using it for years, you can see lots of examples at my site, if you look at my portrait galleries PP was used on all of the closeups, if you are intererested here is a link to a gallery I just did using it for all the closeups on the skin, the girl in the photos actually has pretty bumpy and splotchy skin:
    http://alloutdoor.smugmug.com/Portrait-galleries/Taras-portraits-/11442904_HBNSr#804576357_jumPr
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Portrait Professional
    I use PP Version 9. You can adjust to taste. You can use RAW files. I wish you could use in within Lightroom. You do have to be careful with skin and multiple faces in an image. It's easy but you have to be careful when you use the lasso and you have to check that the skin at chest or neck level was adjusted evenly too.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    kd2kd2 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    I use Kubota Image Tools (for Photoshop). He's got several packs, and there's one which contains an action called Dollface. It's quick and easy, basically you brush on how much smoothing you want to do. It's in the Artistic Pac Volume 3. Another action in that same pack is called eye and teeth enhancer which I use to brighten eyes and teeth just a bit. I've even used it to quickly fix discolored teeth.

I've used PP, but I prefer Kubota's actions. (I found PP a bit cumbersome for me.)
    ~Kathy
    Success Coach, Motivational Speaker, Professional Photographer
    "Enriching Lives through Images and Inspiration"
    www.kathleendavenport.com

• Options
    PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    zoomer wrote:
    I use PP for all my closeups on the skin (where I do anything to the skin).
    Works great and you can make is as strong or as weak as you want. Takes about 2 or 3 minutes per shot.
    I have been using it for years, you can see lots of examples at my site, if you look at my portrait galleries PP was used on all of the closeups, if you are intererested here is a link to a gallery I just did using it for all the closeups on the skin, the girl in the photos actually has pretty bumpy and splotchy skin:
    http://alloutdoor.smugmug.com/Portrait-galleries/Taras-portraits-/11442904_HBNSr#804576357_jumPr

Thanks for the preview. I appreciate it. Pretty woman in the gallery also. Very nice shoot.
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    I have the bundle. It's the best there is. Give it a shot.

I agree!thumb.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    If somebody could post links to a full resolution crop containing both detail such as eyes and or hair and skin surface area - in both the original and their favourite portrait fix-up software, that would be helpful. It is hard to compare results otherwise.

I use Photoshop, which of course can be as simple or complex as one likes to make things! Photoshop does so much, that I don't often feel the need to look at third party solutions.

Stephen Marsh

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
    http://prepression.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    kd2kd2 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    I'll share. Here's a before pic, this was as shot:

815082865_r3LwS-L.jpg

And here's an after using Kubota actions (Dollface to smooth the skin and Eye Enhancer to bring out the whites of her eyes just a bit.) I also used the patch tool to remove the bags under her eyes. This was a pretty quick fix for me, took just a few minutes.

815083266_g2LDg-L.jpg
    ~Kathy
    Success Coach, Motivational Speaker, Professional Photographer
    "Enriching Lives through Images and Inspiration"
    www.kathleendavenport.com

• Options
    photorelivephotorelive Banned Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    imagenomic portirature .. works very good