Cutie at the Park

DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
edited August 30, 2008 in People
Here are a few photos from a session a few weeks ago with a two your old. I love working with kids this age and this one was a lot of fun. Please give me your honest C&C. I really need input to improve. Thanks for looking. (By the way, I miss all of you. I need to get back on here again. I am doing a little professional work now, and the business side takes a lot of my time.) Oops. I need to learn how to count.

360713336_MTAET-L.jpg

360667360_ziQ7Q-L-1.jpg

360713604_PMgWG-L.jpg

360714172_3R4U9-L.jpg

360714316_mmcBd-L.jpg

360668493_UwqSM-L.jpg

360713546_fAJeB-L.jpg

360717960_EZX9s-L.jpg

360716229_9PicQ-L.jpg

Comments

• FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Very nice, what an adorable girl. Hard to not get a good shot of her I think
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    #1 is absolutely a wall-hanger. Stunningly gorgeous shot!!! Love the colors, composition, her ADORABLE expression, nice DOF. Maybe some cloning work to clean up her nose and the stray hairs over her eyes would knock this outta the park.

I also love 4 and 10. The others are really nice (although not wild about the composition in 3) but they pale in comparison to 1, 4 and 10 (IMHO).

Nice to see you back, David!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • idiomidiom Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    They are all nice, but I really like 9. :)
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Love everything from the comp to the post on these clap.gif . Only one minor nit on 5 is that I wish there was more of her body in the right side of the frame. But as I said minor....
  • RaceTroutRaceTrout Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 28, 2008
    Very nice
    I am curious: What was the set-up for #6?headscratch.gif
  • ScraffScraff Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Beautiful shots! Her eyes are awesome in the first shot....great work!
    Scott
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    the 1st shot is .. I can't quite put my finger on it..stunning? but not extremely flattering for child if that make sense? is it PPed much? Skin looks a bit plasticy and the eyes look so vivid that it is almost creepy!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Flutist wrote:
    Very nice, what an adorable girl. Hard to not get a good shot of her I think

Thank you Shannon. A cute subject does make it easier.
    edited August 28, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    #1 is absolutely a wall-hanger. Stunningly gorgeous shot!!! Love the colors, composition, her ADORABLE expression, nice DOF. Maybe some cloning work to clean up her nose and the stray hairs over her eyes would knock this outta the park.

I also love 4 and 10. The others are really nice (although not wild about the composition in 3) but they pale in comparison to 1, 4 and 10 (IMHO).

Nice to see you back, David!

Thank you Lynne. I appreciate your nice comments and detailed feedback. I hope I can spend some more time here again.
    edited August 28, 2008
    idiom wrote:
    They are all nice, but I really like 9. :)

Thanks #9 was the customers favorite as well.
    edited August 28, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Love everything from the comp to the post on these clap.gif . Only one minor nit on 5 is that I wish there was more of her body in the right side of the frame. But as I said minor....

Thank you Travis for both the compliment and advise.
    edited August 28, 2008
    RaceTrout wrote:
    I am curious: What was the set-up for #6?headscratch.gif

It is a Lightroom preset called 300 v1.
    edited August 28, 2008
    Scraff wrote:
    Beautiful shots! Her eyes are awesome in the first shot....great work!
    Scott

Thank you Scott. She does have beautiful eyes.
    edited August 28, 2008
    Qarik wrote:
    the 1st shot is .. I can't quite put my finger on it..stunning? but not extremely flattering for child if that make sense? is it PPed much? Skin looks a bit plasticy and the eyes look so vivid that it is almost creepy!

Thanks. I appreciate your pointing that out. I am not very good at skin smoothing and sharpening yet, so I need feedback like yours to improve.
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Did you PP the skin? If so, I think it may be a bit too much (baby skin is smooth by nature anyways)... but other than that great shots! thumb.gif
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
    edited August 28, 2008
    Did you PP the skin? If so, I think it may be a bit too much (baby skin is smooth by nature anyways)... but other than that great shots! thumb.gif

Thanks. I need to work on my skin smoothing and sharpening, so your feedback is very helpful. The skin was a bit blotchy, so some smoothing was required. I need to learn what is enough and what is too much.
  • adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Wonderful shots!! clap.gif
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    What great shots, cute child, #9 to die for! clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
    edited August 28, 2008
    adpace wrote:
    Wonderful shots!! clap.gif

Thank you Angela.
    edited August 28, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    What great shots, cute child, #9 to die for! clap.gifclapclap.gif

Thank you Marina. She is an adorable child. The parents loved the photos and #9 was their favorite.
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    DavidS wrote:
    Thanks. I need to work on my skin smoothing and sharpening, so your feedback is very helpful. The skin was a bit blotchy, so some smoothing was required. I need to learn what is enough and what is too much.

Check out:

Skin Retouching, Pt. 1

Skin Retouching, Pt. 2

Skin Retouching, Pt. 3

In the Tutorials Section.
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Hey Dave...right nice...equal to or better than most that I have seen in our area. You have the eye.

I read that some think number 1 is a little over processed...but, what I'm interested in is, what did the client think of number 1.

I happen to like number one...a lot. I like the effects. But, that's just me.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited August 28, 2008
    Check out:

Skin Retouching, Pt. 1

Skin Retouching, Pt. 2

Skin Retouching, Pt. 3

In the Tutorials Section.

Thanks for the reference to the tutorials.
    edited August 28, 2008
    Ed911 wrote:
    Hey Dave...right nice...equal to or better than most that I have seen in our area. You have the eye.

I read that some think number 1 is a little over processed...but, what I'm interested in is, what did the client think of number 1.

I happen to like number one...a lot. I like the effects. But, that's just me.

The customer liked #1, but their version was not run through an action as these were. I'm glad you liked it Ed. Thanks for your comments.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2008
    Very nice David. These may represent your best work that I have seen. I agree that the skin treatment may be a bit strong....but they are still excellent photographs. A little usually goes a long way in the smoothing dept.

Where have you been hiding?
    edited August 30, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Very nice David. These may represent your best work that I have seen. I agree that the skin treatment may be a bit strong....but they are still excellent photographs. A little usually goes a long way in the smoothing dept.

Where have you been hiding?

Thanks for the comments. I have been very busy getting my business going. It is a lot of work, even though it is pretty small scale.

Was the skin treatment on any of the ones besides #1 too strong?
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2008
    DavidS wrote:
    Thanks for the comments. I have been very busy getting my business going. It is a lot of work, even though it is pretty small scale.

Was the skin treatment on any of the ones besides #1 too strong?

I think so. It is a matter of taste though. I bet your client loves them. It just isn't for me. I noticed it in all of the closer range shots.