Options

Communication? #7

GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
edited August 30, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I would appreciate any feedback about the following four possible entries for challenge #7, theme communication. Please let me know which 2 you think are strongest. Or alternative titles. Thanks.

#1 Battle Cry
360706874_ftRaQ-XL.jpg

#2 Warning!
360707168_thKaD-XL.jpg

#3 Chatter
360707464_oosQx-XL.jpg

#4 Silent Instruction
360707713_97SWC-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    I really like #1 and #3. thumb.gif . You captured some really good detail on the bird's feathers on #1. On #3, I'd crop a bit from the bottom to get rid of the blades of grass that you weren't able to get in focus. The light on the chick with the open mouth (lawdy, that sounds weird eek7.gif) looks very pretty.

#2 cracks me up. I know it's a warning stance, but the way you caught her, it looks like she's flirting with you. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    I like 1 and 4 Mike, but I think 1 is the most theme worthy. I'm no B&W expert, but I think the conversion needs work. :D

I working on an entry myself, but have not yet shot anything headscratch.gif
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    #1 most strongly says "communication", but has some problems with the b&w conversion--i.e., the grassy areas are messy and the light shining through the tangle of trees in the background is distracting from your main subject. I'd also crop the left side to leave the same amount of space as on the right. All that empty space does nothing to strengthen the message of the image.

#3 is very nice as well--good light and detail. If the other chicks' mouths were open or visible, the connection to the theme would be stronger.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    I really like #1 and #3. thumb.gif . You captured some really good detail on the bird's feathers on #1. On #3, I'd crop a bit from the bottom to get rid of the blades of grass that you weren't able to get in focus. The light on the chick with the open mouth (lawdy, that sounds weird eek7.gif) looks very pretty.

#2 cracks me up. I know it's a warning stance, but the way you caught her, it looks like she's flirting with you. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the feedback Linda. I'll try cropping the grass on #3 and see how it comes up. Maybe I should change the title of #2 to Flirty Warning?? :D I hadn't noticed that, but it does kinda look that way!
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    I like 1 and 4 Mike, but I think 1 is the most theme worthy. I'm no B&W expert, but I think the conversion needs work. :D

I working on an entry myself, but have not yet shot anything headscratch.gif

Thanks Dan. 2 votes for #1 then, so far. The B&W may need work but then that would be my camera's fault! I set it to B&W and took it! lol3.gif Good luck with your entry!
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2008
    Halite wrote:
    #1 most strongly says "communication", but has some problems with the b&w conversion--i.e., the grassy areas are messy and the light shining through the tangle of trees in the background is distracting from your main subject. I'd also crop the left side to leave the same amount of space as on the right. All that empty space does nothing to strengthen the message of the image.

#3 is very nice as well--good light and detail. If the other chicks' mouths were open or visible, the connection to the theme would be stronger.

OK, so #1 is emerging as the favourite! Cheers for commenting Halite. I'll have to look into how to improve the B&W, although as I said I haven't done anything, just taken from the camera. As for the crop, I 'll try it and see. Usually for wildlife shot we try to avoid centering the subject, but in this case you may be right for the theme. Cheers. Thanks again.
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    I definitely like #3 the best, but would agree that cropping the unfocused blades of grass in the front would make it even better! Good luck!
    Karin
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    OK, here is a reworked #1 Better? Not much change?

Original
    360706874_ftRaQ-XL.jpg

New version
    361088678_WVpKN-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    ic4u wrote:
    I definitely like #3 the best, but would agree that cropping the unfocused blades of grass in the front would make it even better! Good luck!
    Karin

Thanks Karin. I'll give that a go too thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    Giphsub wrote:
    OK, what about this one?

361093407_pe3uH-XL.jpg

Nce!thumb.gif...best of luck with whichever one you decide on!
    Karin
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    Both of the new #1 and #3 versions are better. Nice job. I like how the tree on the left hand side of #1 provides a natural frame for the bird, while the wider crop allows the eye to slide out of the left hand side of the image. Thus, one key reason why the standard rule about avoiding centering the image deserves to be broken in this case.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    ic4u wrote:
    Nce!thumb.gif...best of luck with whichever one you decide on!
    Karin

Thanks Karin. Appreciated.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    Halite wrote:
    Both of the new #1 and #3 versions are better. Nice job. I like how the tree on the left hand side of #1 provides a natural frame for the bird, while the wider crop allows the eye to slide out of the left hand side of the image. Thus, one key reason why the standard rule about avoiding centering the image deserves to be broken in this case.

Cheers for the input Halite. Much appreciated!
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    I like #3 the best, but the b&w conversion seems unnecessary.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    Halite wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    I like #3 the best, but the b&w conversion seems unnecessary.

ne_nau.gif The B&W conversion is a requirement for the latest Challenge.
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    ne_nau.gif The B&W conversion is a requirement for the latest Challenge.
    11doh.gif My bad.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

Thanks again for the input Linda thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2008
    Thanks for the input everyone. I went with #1 in the end.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2008
    Giphsub wrote:
    Thanks for the input everyone. I went with #1 in the end.
    Excellent! Good luck to you!! thumb.gif