Help with picking new camera/lens (budget of $1600~)

t-revt-rev Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
edited August 28, 2008 in Cameras
I am looking at purchasing a new camera. I had the XT a few years back and sold it thinking I would upgrade at that time and never got around to it. I'm looking for something that will last a few years and still have good value when I decide to step up. I'm going on a trip in October for 10 days (Amsterdam, Germany, Prague). Most of my pictures will be travels, landscapes and am going to be a new dad in March so will also be taking a lot of baby pics as well. I like the Canon series and am considering the 40D. Is this a good option, is it better to buy new or look at some of the offers on here? Also what is a good lens recommendation?

Comments

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Good value for a camera in a few years is a relative term. Digital cameras depreciate big time as their product cycle is two years. If you are looking to sell it after a few years, you will be putting it on the market when others are also putting their cameras on the market so they can upgrade.

If you like Canon, get whatever you can afford. KEH.com is a good place to look at used cameras. Since I am not a canon guy, others will be able to help you out with a lens, although canon is coming out with a 18-200 lens for their low end cameras. If you want a general all purpose lens, this would be the one to get if it's anything like the 18-200 VR for nikon.
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Have you considered renting?

I'd vote for buying a new 40D body only and a used lens or 2. You will want something fast like a 50mm 1.4, but also something for walk around - maybe a 28-135mm or similar. It all depends on how much weight you want to carry around really.

40D: ~$900
    50mm: ~$100-$400 ($100 new for the 1.8)
    28-135 IS: ~$250-350 (depending on what's available at the moment you buy)
    17-40: ~$600 (mostly for landscape)
    70-200 f4: ~ $400 (if you want a telephoto with you)

Remember you need:
    Monopod @ ~$20-100 (avg)
    Camera Bag @ ~$25-100 (avg)
    Possibly an ND filter or at least CPL filter.

When i can only take one lens and not sure what i'll be shooting I usually grab the 28-135 as it is a nice range and has IS.
    ~ Lisa