Comparison...

SteelafanSteelafan Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
edited August 29, 2008 in Cameras
After reading the specs on the 50D, it looks like its going to be better than the 5D. Which kind of irritates me being I have the 5D, dropped a pretty big pile of cash on it, and its not even a year old. Anyone else do a comparison? :scratch
:patch Searching for that one shot that counts. The never ending quest to make people say "wow".:huh

http://asphotoworks.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited August 28, 2008
    Steelafan wrote:
    After reading the specs on the 50D, it looks like its going to be better than the 5D. Which kind of irritates me being I have the 5D, dropped a pretty big pile of cash on it, and its not even a year old. Anyone else do a comparison? headscratch.gif

One of the problems with comparisons using specifications alone is that tangible differences can be minimized and overlooked.

The 5D is still a pretty amazing camera and the 5D is (compared to a crop 1.6x camera):

* Full-frame
    * Capable of preserving the FOV that full-frame lenses were designed for.
    * Capable of better bokeh at the same large aperture.
    * Capable of smaller apertures before diffraction becomes a factor. (Although in practice this isn't usually a significant factor.)
    * Capable of more sharpness with slightly less resolution lenses. (This is really a mind-bending qualified statement that has to do more with measurement of the two entities; sharpness and resolution.)

Be thankful for what you have. The grass is not necessarily that much greener ...

... Plus you have had the use of the 5D for nearly a year. (I should be envious, I suppose. :D)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    The 50D isn't even out yet. I don't think there are any formal tests of it yet.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    * Capable of more sharpness with slightly less resolution lenses. (This is really a mind-bending qualified statement that has to do more with measurement of the two entities; sharpness and resolution.)

But after 2 years shooting with a 5D I have found it to be very real. Even with top quality lenses, the full frame sensor makes them look better at both extremes of the aperture range (wide open and stopped down) making aperture a considerably more powerful creative tool.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    That is not apple-to-apple comparison.
    I still in love with the 5D, the full frame. but may consider to have 50D by mid-next year as second body. The 2 combine together may be equally (at some level) good as having a 1DsMKIII to cover the speed, and picture quality.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    Steelafan wrote:
    After reading the specs on the 50D, it looks like its going to be better than the 5D. Which kind of irritates me being I have the 5D, dropped a pretty big pile of cash on it, and its not even a year old. Anyone else do a comparison? headscratch.gif

I agree with what has been said.
    The 5D is a really spectacular camera. Just because the 50D was announced doesn't change that. I'd be happy as a clam with a 5D.