Options

40D vs. 50D debate...bad timing, what do I do?

gfxartistgfxartist Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
edited November 10, 2008 in The Big Picture
Okay, I was all set to buy the 40D as a replacement/supplement to my 20D for my trip to Europe. I'm leaving Sept. 17 and will be gone for 2 weeks. THEN, I find out the 50D is due out in October. Obviously I will be back from my trip and then it comes out in the stores. I would rather purchase the 50D, but then I'm stuck w/ the 20D for vaca. Reason for wanting to step up to the 40D (and now 50D) is partly due to less noise at higher ISO (plan on taking pics indoors where I might need to crank it up and at night and don't plan on hauling around a tripod), and various other upgrades the 40D and 50D have compared to the 20D. (Would rather purchase 50D due to its recent upgrades - higher megapixel count, digic 4 processor, upgraded LCD monitor, expanded live view functionality, AF microadjustment, etc., etc., etc.)

Question: Do I rent the 40D for my trip and buy the 50D when I get back? I hate the thought of "throwing away" money just to rent a body when I plan on buying another body afterwards. Just comes down to bad timing I guess. Or should I buy the 40D now and forget the extras on the 50D?

I don't get to go on many trips like this (and after this it will be a long time before I go again) and want to maximize the quality of shots I can take (at a reasonable price of course). I'll be taking a Canon 10-22, probably renting a Canon 17-55, and taking my Canon 70-200 f4. Cost of renting the 40D body alone might not be so bad if I wasn't already planning on renting the 17-55 (and wanting to buy the 50D when I return). What would you guys do?

17-55 rental for 2 weeks ~$100
40D body rental for 2 weeks ~$190
40D purchase price now ~$920
50D purchase price after vaca ~$1400
~Laurie~

Canon: 5d Mk III, 5d Mk II, 50d, 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 35/1.4, 70-200/2.8 II, 17-40/4, 24-70/2.8, 100 2.8 macro
Laurie Bracewell Photography

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Just buy the 40d. It's a great camera, and no one has seen a review of the 50d yet. If you wait for the 50d, why not wait for the 60d? or the 70d? There will always be a newer one around the corner.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Having owned the 20d and the 40d, I would guess there is more difference btw the 20d and 40D than the 40D and 50D.

Oh, and you can find a 40D for cheaper than $920! :D
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2008
    i almost hate to say this, but i'm lured in by the 15 MP vs 10! umph.gif
    ~Laurie~

Canon: 5d Mk III, 5d Mk II, 50d, 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 35/1.4, 70-200/2.8 II, 17-40/4, 24-70/2.8, 100 2.8 macro
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Laurie,

Why not take a hike down to your local camera store, and explain your delima. See if they would be willing to apply the rental fee toward a new 50D from them rather than you purchasing the 50D from an on-line store.

Sam
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 28, 2008
    its hard to say how well the 50D will perform in those super high ISO situations...I have yet to see a sample anywhere yet. It could be up to par with the new Nikons, or it could be not even close.

Megapixels are all fine and well, but its the quality of the pixels you're really after. Not the quantity. How many times have you wanted to make a 40"x60" print only to find out your 20D just didnt cut it? Me either :D

You can borrow my 40D if you want.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited August 29, 2008
    gfxartist wrote:
    ... Reason for wanting to step up to the 40D (and now 50D) is partly due to less noise at higher ISO (plan on taking pics indoors where I might need to crank it up and at night and don't plan on hauling around a tripod), and various other upgrades the 40D and 50D have compared to the 20D. ...

Question: Do I rent the 40D for my trip and buy the 50D when I get back? I hate the thought of "throwing away" money just to rent a body when I plan on buying another body afterwards. Just comes down to bad timing I guess. Or should I buy the 40D now and forget the extras on the 50D?

The high-ISO noise on the 20D is really not so much different from the 40D. In fact, there are some tests that show the high-ISO noise is "less" on the 20D versus the 40D with the high-ISO noise reduction turned off. Turning the high-ISO noise reduction "on" in the 40D does reduce visible noise but at the expense of the shot buffer.

Using a software based noise reduction with the 20D files would probably even out the results.

You could also purchase a 40D and then sell it after your trip for about the same cost as rental (maybe less), with the advantage that if you decide not to upgrade you don't need to do anything.

I would not think of rental as "throwing away" money if it gets you to your desired results. It is then an "investment" in success.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    Sam - That would be something to consider...thanks for the idea.

Lee - That was why the face in my last post...I'm not sure the extra 5MP will necessarily be "quality" pixels, so I hate to say I want a 50D partly for that reason. I'd like to wait until the 50 comes out and see reviews before purchasing. Also, you don't make 40x60" posters all the time? :D And...if you're serious about borrowing the 40D that would be fantastic. I'll leave you w/ my 20D and my 17-40 lens while I'm away. Are you back in town?

Ziggy - Purchasing the 40D now and playing the wait-and-see game for the 50 is definitely an option I have been throwing around! If Lee lets me borrow his 40 this may be a moot subject...
    ~Laurie~

• Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    I've never regretted not having the newest camera, but I have regretted not getting the shot, so I would say buy a 40D- preferably used (I would say a lot of folks are getting ready to dump their 40Ds on the market.) 15MP is great in theory, but I shoot a 20D and a 30D, and I have 16x20 prints that look great. Who's going to print bigger than that?
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    I'm waiting for the 50D. If you can afford it, wait.wings.gif
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I've never regretted not having the newest camera, but I have regretted not getting the shot, so I would say buy a 40D- preferably used (I would say a lot of folks are getting ready to dump their 40Ds on the market.) 15MP is great in theory, but I shoot a 20D and a 30D, and I have 16x20 prints that look great. Who's going to print bigger than that?

I just printed a 20x30 of a shot taken in 2006 with my 20D and it looks great deal.gif

It's about image quality not amount of pixels. I do get sharper photos and more accurate color with the 40D, but part of me thinks it's because my 20D is on its last leg.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    Anything new with more bells and whistles is exciting, but we all have to be realistic. You have about 3 weeks till your departure. My suggestion is to borrow or rent the 40D now so you have time to get acquainted with all the features and settings that you'll need. I don't know about you, but I prefer not to miss a shot opportunity due to equipment unfamiliarity. You mentioned this will be rare trip, so consider the rental cost as part of the trip cost. The 50D has a few newer features than the 40D, but honestly are you going to use all of them? Get the currently available equipment for your immediate needs. Enjoy the trip. Take lots of pictures and forget about the 50D for the next few months.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    Okay...it's settled. My bro-in-law is letting me borrow his 40D. clap.gif I'll check out the new features beforehand to be sure, but I also have a LONG flight for more familiarization if needed.

Thank you all for your input! I always know where I can go for good advice and lots of different perspectives. iloveyou.gif
    ~Laurie~

• Options
    bjoneill74bjoneill74 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 7, 2008
    gfxartist wrote:
    Okay...it's settled. My bro-in-law is letting me borrow his 40D. clap.gif I'll check out the new features beforehand to be sure, but I also have a LONG flight for more familiarization if needed.

Thank you all for your input! I always know where I can go for good advice and lots of different perspectives. iloveyou.gif

I just got a 40D to upgrade over my XTi/400D (which I plan on keeping).
    The 40D is a much nicer camera. It is bigger and seemingly better built than the Digital Rebels (XT, XTi, XSi). The viewfinder is better, the auto focus system is MUCH better.

The 50D has some features which seem nice at face value.
    The 15Megapixels seems great, but the file sizes are going to be huge (especially if shooting in RAW mode).
    Personally speaking.. if you are willing to spend $1400 on the 50D..
    I'd just get a 40D at under $1000 and a good (non-kit) lens.
    The EF 50mm f/1.4 is great on that camera.

The glass has as much (if not more) to do with image quality.

Brian
  • Options
    KeeferKeefer Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 10, 2008
    There's a great article about the 50D v 40D debate here:

http://tech.spotcoolstuff.com/photography/digital-camera/slr-showdown-40d-50d-canon-eos/

They basically come down on the side of the 40D

In your case, you also have the question of whether or not to rent. Unless you don't really plan on doing much photography, renting seems a bit of a waste. You could always sell the camera after a few trips if you don't find yourself using it much.