Options

Stephanie in the park

ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
edited August 31, 2008 in People
C & C welcome.

EDIT: Sorry #17 is so big. I have deleted and reloaded it twice but it doesn't change.

DSC07539copy2.jpg

DSC07556.jpg

DSC07563.jpg

DSC07565_ppcopy.jpg

DSC07574copy.jpg

DSC07581.jpg

DSC07586-6.jpg

DSC07588copy2.jpg

DSC07605_pp.jpg

DSC07607_pp2.jpg

DSC07610_pp.jpg

DSC07647_pp.jpg

DSC07652_ppcopy.jpg

DSC07653_pp.jpg

DSC07676_pp.jpg

DSC07677_ppcopy.jpg

DSC07682_ppcopy.jpg
LadyTX

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Pretty model!
    I am new to portraiture, so take this with a grain of salt!

#4, very centered. Maybe tilt her chest slightly to follow with the direction of where her head is turning?
    #6, the foliage in front of her is distracting
    #7 I like the overall look, but you cut off her left hand! (I read that is bad, and I am trying to not cut off hands and feet on my own)
    #9 very shiny eyes!! thumb.gif Were you able to get the entire umbrella in the shot as well? I think that would have been really nice!
    #16, she has a harsh shadow

But I still like the series!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Hi.

Love the model and the location, but I think you could improve by tightening up on the model and leaving out some/a lot of the background. Great colors!

Jake
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    nice captures..but I agree with the above poster..need to tighten the crop on many of the shots
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    KTBoom2006-E510KTBoom2006-E510 Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Nice job! I like to do pictures with backgrounds too. I usually leave them like what you have, and then let the client choose how close they want it cropped.
    ~Katie~
    :barb

http://www.kc1stphotography.com

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    She's such a beautiful girl, i too would love to see more of her, i'm referring to those "far away" shots. What lens are you using?
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    #'s 7,9 & 11 are my favorites, but they're all nice. Good job!
  • Options
    FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Very nice pictures. I agree with above mentions of cropping in a bit closer, she is a beautiful girl.
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Nice Photos!

I like 1, 5 & 9 the best.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    Pretty model!
    I am new to portraiture, so take this with a grain of salt!

#4, very centered. Maybe tilt her chest slightly to follow with the direction of where her head is turning?
    #6, the foliage in front of her is distracting
    #7 I like the overall look, but you cut off her left hand! (I read that is bad, and I am trying to not cut off hands and feet on my own)
    #9 very shiny eyes!! thumb.gif Were you able to get the entire umbrella in the shot as well? I think that would have been really nice!
    #16, she has a harsh shadow

But I still like the series!!

Thanks for looking and the play-by-play!

#4 - Yes it is centered as a lot of my photos are. Some of that comes from not being confident in my ability to get the subjects' eyes in focus if they are off to the right or left of the center focus on my camera. I have tried the focus and re-compose thing but it doesn't seem to work well for me. Even though I am holding the shutter release down half way it seems to change focus on me.

#6 - I see what you are saying about the foliage in this photo. What I had in mind for the photo was someone looking through the foliage and seeing her.

#7 - Yep, have to watch that.

#9 - Thanks. Yes we have several with the entire umbrella. I wanted a tighter shot of her face.

#16 - There is a harsh shadow that I'm not real happy about but I liked the shot of her so I kept it. She was in some pretty dark shadow and my daughter was holding my flash on a light stand way out on a ledge to try and get light on her. I was down below in the creek.

Thanks again for the comments.
    LadyTX
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    Ekaj wrote:
    Hi.

Love the model and the location, but I think you could improve by tightening up on the model and leaving out some/a lot of the background. Great colors!

Jake

Thank you for looking and the compliments. She is a pretty girl. We chose this park because it does have some kool spots for photos. Lot's of mosquitos too!! Need some bug spray next time ... :D We took some tight shots of her but we also wanted to incorporate the location in some shots and have some variety. I was pleased with the colors too.

Thanks again.
    LadyTX
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    Qarik wrote:
    nice captures..but I agree with the above poster..need to tighten the crop on many of the shots

Thank you for looking and commenting. I understand what you are saying. We did take some tighter shots of her but we also wanted some showing the surroundings she was in and to add variety.
    LadyTX
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    Nice job! I like to do pictures with backgrounds too. I usually leave them like what you have, and then let the client choose how close they want it cropped.

Thank you Katie for looking and commenting. Actually several of the far away shots are on her list of favorites.
    LadyTX
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    She's such a beautiful girl, i too would love to see more of her, i'm referring to those "far away" shots. What lens are you using?

Thank you ShepsMom for looking and commenting.

She is a pretty girl. We were trying to incorporate the location in some of the shots. It is almost like a jungle in the back of this park with kool opportunities for photos and we wanted to make it feel as if she was out in the forest so something. Maybe we didn't get the message across. ne_nau.gif

I was using the 18-250 lens.
    LadyTX
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    adpace wrote:
    #'s 7,9 & 11 are my favorites, but they're all nice. Good job!

Thank you for looking and commenting.

I like those too. I am fond of #10 though.
    LadyTX
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    Flutist wrote:
    Very nice pictures. I agree with above mentions of cropping in a bit closer, she is a beautiful girl.

Thank you very much.
    LadyTX
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    Nice Photos!

I like 1, 5 & 9 the best.

Take Care,
    Chuck,

Thank you very much for looking and commenting Chuck.

I see you have the D300. How do you like it? I have looked seriously at that camera. I heard it does a great job with noise in low night and high ISO.
    LadyTX
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    I'd loose the chainlink fence at the top in #2. Other than the cropping issue already mentioned, you did good job. Regarding focusing on the subject's eyes, you should choose the focus point in your camera closest to the model's eyes so you don't have to focus with the center focus point then recompose.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    Cuong wrote:
    I'd loose the chainlink fence at the top in #2. Other than the cropping issue already mentioned, you did good job. Regarding focusing on the subject's eyes, you should choose the focus point in your camera closest to the model's eyes so you don't have to focus with the center focus point then recompose.

Cuong

Thanks for stopping by and making some good suggestions Cuong. I am going to have to get more familiar with the focusing points in my camera and practice so I can get comfortable using them and faster at selecting them.

I went to your web and throughly enjoyed my tour of South Africa while I ate my lunch. Thanks for sharing those photos.
    LadyTX
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2008
    Very nice! She is a beautiful model and I like the poses. This is just me, but I would like tighter crops on some of them and prefer the flash to be more subdued. It does look like directional flash, rather than straight on, which is nice, if I am observing correctly.
  • Options
    ajroahkniajroahkni Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2008
    #5 grabs me as its such a perfect setting for this beautiful model. Perhaps:
    body posture that could blatantly emulate the natural swerve of the tree
    the shot does well in that it shows the subdued sensuality of a full bosom (:D ) without getting obvious about it
    touch of toes into the water makes me want to see more of that feature

Is it possible to revisit with a reverse angle to the shot? I envision one from a lower angle that would allow for the toes breaking the reflection of water and perhaps a posture that's more inline with the limbs (not propped up on arm).
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2008
    ajroahkni wrote:
    #5 grabs me as its such a perfect setting for this beautiful model. Perhaps:
    body posture that could blatantly emulate the natural swerve of the tree
    the shot does well in that it shows the subdued sensuality of a full bosom (:D ) without getting obvious about it
    touch of toes into the water makes me want to see more of that feature

Is it possible to revisit with a reverse angle to the shot? I envision one from a lower angle that would allow for the toes breaking the reflection of water and perhaps a posture that's more inline with the limbs (not propped up on arm).

Thanks for checking out the photos and giving feedback. Your ideas on #5 sound very interesting and intriguing. We will probably be going back to the park at some point as there are still parts unexplored there. Hadn't even noticed the "bosom" aspect of the photo ...rolleyes1.gif
    LadyTX