I Would Appreciate Your Thoughts...

rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
edited August 30, 2008 in Landscapes
on these. Are either or neither any good? These were both shot very late in the day with an overcast sky, so the light was not great.

Thanks, Ron

359514829_7KtqD-L.jpg

359515505_R8E2p-L.jpg
"The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95

Comments

• AfterImageAfterImage Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    First I will say I do like the shots. They are framed well (especially the first) and your eye nicely follows the bank to the river to the far shore then the sky.
    However it's lacking something. It's a bit "dull" (meaning not bright or vibrant) with no real focus or drama.
    Personally I would do one of two things to make the image come to life.
    Either work up the colors a bit and relight the sky or convert the whole thing into B&W and see what that does.

There is a good photo in there, you just need to massage it out.
    I learned your love for life,
    I feel your presence...
    I remember

SLAMA Photography
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    ront wrote:
    on these. Are either or neither any good? These were both shot very late in the day with an overcast sky, so the light was not great.

I guess I feel like they are both too busy/cluttered but at the same time with nothing going on. I think there are lots of good shots in there if you start cropping. How about just rock, water and reflection?
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    There's a bit of a yellow color cast to these. Did you set your black and white points?
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Grizzle6Grizzle6 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    Ron--
    I'm going to respectfully disagree with Afterimage's statement that there is a good photo in there and that it needs to be massaged out.

Not because you're a terrible photographer, or because there isn't potential in this location, but (to support this time) as Afterimage mentioned, it lacks something. Simply put, this image lacks light. The compositions are ok with the leading lines, but I would love to see some (or one of) the rocks as a more engaging FG anchor that draws the viewer into the image.

Even still, without light, this image is quite flat. When I find myself shooting in rather lackluster conditions like these, I look down. I look at the ground for "miniscapes" that aren't so dependent upon dramatic skies and jaw-dropping light. Look for interesting shapes, textures, and contrasting colors, tones or patterns. There are good opportunities in these conditions, just not the ones you probably originally planned on.

Good luck!
    It's all ball bearings these days...

www.adambarkerphotography.com
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. I agree that the pics are some what flat and that is because the lack of light. I am just learning about all of this and I have SO MUCH to learn!! Any pointers are gladly accepted!.

jeffmeyers, you mentioned setting my black and white points. Would you please explain this. I am using CS3 and Lightroom 2.0.

Thanks, Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • SaltWaterHippoSaltWaterHippo Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2008
    Personally I think a polarizing filter might have made it more interesting to kill the reflection from the water and make the greens a tab more vibrant. Should use one if you have one or maybe look into getting one if you have the extra cash? I think its well worth it, I hate shooting without one now :)
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2008
    ront wrote:
    jeffmeyers, you mentioned setting my black and white points. Would you please explain this. I am using CS3 and Lightroom 2.0.

Thanks, Ron

Do you have any of Scott Kelby's books on PS? I'd recommend his latest Adobe PS CS3 book for Digital Photographers. He discusses this in there.

Here's a quick tutorial that will help:

http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/eyedropper/eyedropper.htm

Jeff
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers