"Red Rock" - Infrared - for submission into a Photrade.com contest!

mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
edited August 31, 2008 in Landscapes
JoelCada-RedRock-oppositelock@gmaildotcom-copyright2006_resized.jpg

"Red Rock" .. Taken in Infrared w/ a Sony DSC-F828 at Red Rock Canyon, Nevada.

What do you guys think?

I dont know, I love this photo, I've made several prints for friends and family members, they love it too, its one of the first Infrared photos I taken when I was still learning how to do it (I'm still learning now!).

Anyways, I'd love to hear from you guys and gals on what you think and if at all possible, vote for my photo! They have this prize to go with a professional to shoot alongside at different national parks, would be a really sweet experience. Also, go submit you fotos as well! Its free. The link to the contest is here.

Vote for my photo though and give me your thoughts, thanks!

Click on the link below.

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://photrade.com/css/fl/widgets.css">Vote for my photo!personal_100155_80x80_1.jpgvote

(you have to join and log on, i know its a little cumbersome, but any support would be appreciated, thanks!)

Comments

• wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    Nice shot. Amazing what a difference hiking just a bit from the road can make.
    Anybody can do it.
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    wfeller wrote:
    Nice shot. Amazing what a difference hiking just a bit from the road can make.

Thanks Walter, its really not even a hike, have you been to Red Rock Canyon in Las Vegas? They have this 14 mile scenic drive. You can find this area by driving a good 10 miles to the top of the peak, where there is a small parking lot. You'll see some amazing views there without even hiking. You can get there by going west on Charleston, it will be on your right hand side, look and follow the signs for the park entrance (Tip: its free to enter the park after 6pm!).

Please vote for my photo if you can find the time to do so!
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    Pretty nice. Have you tried switching the red and blue channels on this image?
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
    edited August 29, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Pretty nice. Have you tried switching the red and blue channels on this image?

I honestly totally forgot how I did the post-processing, but it did include channel mixers and hue/saturation sliders. I mixed the channels until I found a nice red look to the photo and then removed certain colors and changed them with the hue/saturation sliders. That's pretty much it.

Please vote via the link above, it would be cool to shoot with a real landscape pro!
    edited August 29, 2008
    There's not enough contrast and/or dynamic range. If this is an IR shot, then the green needles need to be white and the sky dark, or blue, depending on how you process the colors.
    Jeff Meyers
    edited August 30, 2008
    I've done shots like that blowing out the greens, I did that on purpose. Most IR shots look the same with the blue and white colors. The theme was Red Rock, so I made it look red, of course you can still see the glow on the greens, but they're subtle, can't make a picture look gloomy with greens popping out. I also wanted to make it look like a storm was brewing in the back, because it was.

It just has a different look, you know? Something regular color would be hard to mimic and something different from the normal IR shots you would see.

I put some more up here:

http://thirdeyephotography.smugmug.com/gallery/5832705_LqXhQ/1/361760708_ZJXHB

Thanks for your input though, it's much appreciated.
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2008
    mr peas wrote:
    Thanks Walter, its really not even a hike, have you been to Red Rock Canyon in Las Vegas? They have this 14 mile scenic drive. You can find this area by driving a good 10 miles to the top of the peak, where there is a small parking lot. You'll see some amazing views there without even hiking. You can get there by going west on Charleston, it will be on your right hand side, look and follow the signs for the park entrance (Tip: its free to enter the park after 6pm!).

I've been up there a few times- beautiful place. I was just thinking you had a little bit of a hike because of the juniper, I remember them only being back away from the road on the right.

Sad thing about Mojave Max the tortoise passing away this summer. I think he was about 80. I spent the day shooting him and his girlfriends (a couple were clawing at the wall to get to him) several years ago.

I need to get back out there and do some hiking and expand my page on the location.

http://digital-desert.com/red-rock-canyon-nca/

I've photos from a few subsequent trips but have never got around to updating the site. Your shot encourages me to get to it.

http://aeve.com/1tpf/redrock-nca/800-em767778.jpg
    http://aeve.com/1tpf/redrock-nca/760-7531.jpg

I've found that I prefer the highway south of the canyon to get in. Getting to be too many traffic lights on Charleston. Except last time I stopped for coffee and missed the turn off at Blue Diamond(?) and ended up going about 4 miles on my way to Pahrump. I did get a few pre-sunrise shots with a different viewpoint than I usually see though. Sometimes the wrong turn is the right one, IMO.

Best of luck to you- I keep my signups to a minimum, but wholly recommend continuing to shoot for your own satisfaction. Thanks for sharing a local's look at a beautiful resource.

-Walter

[edit]

I believe a few of the shots of the older tortoise on this page are of Max- R.I.P.
    http://digital-desert.com/wildlife/tortoise/
    Anybody can do it.
    edited August 30, 2008
    mr peas wrote:
    It just has a different look, you know? Something regular color would be hard to mimic and something different from the normal IR shots you would see.

I put some more up here:

http://thirdeyephotography.smugmug.com/gallery/5832705_LqXhQ/1/361760708_ZJXHB

Thanks for your input though, it's much appreciated.

I'm not trying to be difficult. Sorry. Your gallery images are good. But this particular IR image still needs a bit more contrast or something. The blacks aren't black enough. Maybe that's it. I'm pressing this because you said you were entering it in a contest. I've judged a number of contests (including the Nikonian quarterly contests) and I'd look at this image and say something like, "It could have been a great image if. . . "

Jeff Meyers
    My IR Gallery
    Jeff Meyers
    edited August 31, 2008
    I like hearing what you think, thanks for the input. Cool gallery, yeah I see how you like your contrast. I don't want to make mine to dark in the blacks, it makes the rest of the photo look too dark.

My fav shot in your gallery are the eyeball ones, thanks for sharing!