Options

Unlisted, Password Protected Gallery and Google Search

Steve Knight PhotoSteve Knight Photo Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited August 31, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hi SMugMug,

I had thought that unlisted, password protected galleries weren't listed in a Google search but I saw that this happened today when I checked my StatCounter account. Someone searched Google for "SmugMug boys basketball" and one of these galleries appears on page 3 of the results. The password prompt page pops up if the link is clicked just like it should, so no worries there. I double checked the privacy and security settings in the gallery and Hello World and Hello smuggers are both checked "No". The gallery was originally public and was just changed to unlisted and password protected on August 24th. Is there a lag time for Google to remove it from the search results?

Thanks.

www.steveknightphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    Hi SMugMug,

I had thought that unlisted, password protected galleries weren't listed in a Google search but I saw that this happened today when I checked my StatCounter account. Someone searched Google for "SmugMug boys basketball" and one of these galleries appears on page 3 of the results. The password prompt page pops up if the link is clicked just like it should, so no worries there. I double checked the privacy and security settings in the gallery and Hello World and Hello smuggers are both checked "No". The gallery was originally public and was just changed to unlisted and password protected on August 24th. Is there a lag time for Google to remove it from the search results?

Thanks.

www.steveknightphoto.com

There is a lag time for Google to remove something from the index.

Unlisted galleries can also get indexed by Google if they are linked to from anywhere else on the web (blogs, forum postings, etc...).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Steve Knight PhotoSteve Knight Photo Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    Thanks, jfriend.

I have external links turned off, so it must be the lag time. Any idea how long it takes to drop off the results?

I really appreciate the quick response. It was a little disconcerting at first to see the Google page!

Steve
    www.steveknightphoto.com
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    Thanks, jfriend.

I have external links turned off, so it must be the lag time. Any idea how long it takes to drop off the results?

I really appreciate the quick response. It was a little disconcerting at first to see the Google page!

Steve
    www.steveknightphoto.com

I have no idea how long.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I have no idea how long.
    Nor do we... Google is pretty good at keeping secrets :D