Options

Canon A95 lens

Crabby LadyCrabby Lady Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited April 27, 2005 in Accessories
Does anyone know of a lens that would fit the A95 that would allow me to take photos of birds from a distance. I have a 3x telephoto add on lens, but it just isn't powerful enough.
Also, are there any digital cameras that accept the lenses from a 35mm Minolta 7000 camera. I would consider switching cameras if it would allow me to use my old lenses.

+6
+6
Crabby Lady.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 26, 2005
    Most of these smaller cameras have a small selection of available add
    on lenses. In your case, the camera has an adapter the lens fits onto.

A quick look shows some 2.4x's but not much else.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2005
    Crabby you would have to switch cameras. You would have to switch to a Digital SLR camera. There may be some minolta dSLR cameras that would accept those lense's. I am a canon man myself so I don't know what mount those lenses have. You might want to list the lenses you have here so we could help you some more. But the simple answer is you need a different camera for the type of capabilities you are looking for. The simple point and shoot cameras although excellent cameras (the a95 is a great little camera) just don't have all of the available lenses andd stuff like an SLR. They are designed for more general use and birding is slightly more specialized than that.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    A DSLR alternative
    While a DSLR would offer the most flexibility and choice of lenses, there are alternatives if "big zoom" is the goal. One such alternative would be the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20, which by itself zooms to 432mm (in 35mm equivalent). What's more, this is an f/2.8 lens with image stabilization--no slouch for a $550 camera. For another $420, a 1.5x teleconverter can be added, bringing the 35mm-equivalent focal length to 648mm and the price to nearly $1000. By way of comparison, the Canon 400mm f/5.6L (which would provide a similar focal length on a 1.6x crop camera such as the Rebel XT or 20D) alone costs more than that, and is two stops slower.

For that $1000, I'd get into a Digital Rebel and a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, but that wouldn't achieve the goal of big zoom. If you really want a long focal length and are on a budget, a DSLR unfortunately won't deliver, although for many other types of photography, a DSLR can't be beat.

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Hmmm I wasn't aware of the Pan model. I guess I should pay attention to more than canons, but there so addictive.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com