Options

Increased dynamic range from one RAW image

jsmasonjsmason Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited April 27, 2005 in Landscapes
I have seen techniques for improving dynamic range by combining two shots with different exposures, but I have a slight variation of that technique that uses one RAW file. People may know of this, but I have not seen it discussed anywhere. I took a photo of a church in Jim Thorpe, PA using RAW format. It had a good histogram but the neither the sky nor the building had enough detail for me. I ended up creating two PSD files from the one raw file, one for the sky and one for the building. Once I had the two PSD files I stacked them and used the traditional method to create the finished shot. Here is the finished version.

19259585-L.jpg

You can see the two versions of the single RAW file at the following smugmug gallery.

http://jsmason.smugmug.com/gallery/474246/1/19259585

Stan

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2005
    Nice work, it looks totally natural!
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    That is a very effective technique. Nice work here. I've seen Andy discuss this before and am surprised by the results. I haven't yet upgraded to a camera that supports RAW so I have to do the same thing with taking multiple exposures in camera. Would be nice to be able to just do it in post - especially since you can use the stacking without having to use a tripod.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005

15524779-Ti.gifnod.gifnod.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Nice result, Stan. nod.gif I use this technique all the time, I'm forever making multiple exposures of a single RAW, then layering and masking in PS. Thanks for posting this, hopefully other folks who shoot in RAW can take advantage of it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Nice result, Stan. nod.gif I use this technique all the time, I'm forever making multiple exposures of a single RAW, then layering and masking in PS. Thanks for posting this, hopefully other folks who shoot in RAW can take advantage of it.
    You know what I would LOVE?

A RAW processor that would create one file with the two exposures on two layers. Wow, that would be heaven. I hate chasing those files around and keeping track of them.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 27, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

A RAW processor that would create one file with the two exposures on two layers. Wow, that would be heaven. I hate chasing those files around and keeping track of them.
    that would be cool, instead of OK, if the RAW converter had a "ADD LAYER" button, you could work quickly.
    nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 27, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

Dave - that's a great idea - why hasn't Adobe already done this - it can't be that hard to do in software - You can record actions to work in Photoshop, but I have not seen any suggestion of recordable actions for ARC - What a cool idea!! Anybody know Thomas Knoll at Adobe??
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

nod.gif I hate those meeses to pieces! I agree, and a great suggestion.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    Daniel ChuiDaniel Chui Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Hey there!

Good job on the blending! Unfortunately, there were some blown highlights that couldn't be recovered... in the future my suggestion is this, if you are going to expose from one RAW.

A) Expose for the sky
    B) If you do have blown highlights, one thing you can do is add a very slight "Diffuse Glow". You'll notice that in digital, blown out highlights often show clipping, as in very sharp edges around the blown out info. A glow makes it appear more film-like, less clipped; but just make sure you use layer masks and only use it a little bit.

- Chui

www.chewyphoto.com
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    This technique...
    wxwax wrote:
    ...works with JPEG's too.
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    I have yet to have decent results with these methods:cry
    To the point where I dont even bother anymore.
    Wonderful work you have donethumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2005
    B) If you do have blown highlights, one thing you can do is add a very slight "Diffuse Glow". You'll notice that in digital, blown out highlights often show clipping, as in very sharp edges around the blown out info. A glow makes it appear more film-like, less clipped; but just make sure you use layer masks and only use it a little bit.

Hey, I'll have to try that, thanks.

Not that I ever have blown highlights, of course. Ahem.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2005
    Phil...
    Phil U. wrote:
    That is a very effective technique. Nice work here. I've seen Andy discuss this before and am surprised by the results. I haven't yet upgraded to a camera that supports RAW so I have to do the same thing with taking multiple exposures in camera. Would be nice to be able to just do it in post - especially since you can use the stacking without having to use a tripod.
    I agree that one of the nicest aspects is not necessarily needing to carry a tripod. - Stan
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    that would be cool, instead of OK, if the RAW converter had a "ADD LAYER" button, you could work quickly.
    nod.gif
    What a great idea!
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2005
    Chui...
    Hey there!

Good job on the blending! Unfortunately, there were some blown highlights that couldn't be recovered... in the future my suggestion is this, if you are going to expose from one RAW.

A) Expose for the sky

- Chui

www.chewyphoto.com
    Your absolutely right, there are some blown highlights. That's a nice tip for making them less obvious and a new one for me. Thanks for the suggestions.

Stan
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2005
    Thanks to all for the nice comments! - Stan