Field Hockey First Timer.....

JohnEBongoJohnEBongo Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
edited September 1, 2008 in Sports
Shot field hockey for the first time ever. Couple quick observations...First, it is tough to get full faces in shots, they are looking down almost constantly. Next time I eill shoot from a lower position. Second, I need to learn the rules. It seemed like the refs were just blowing the whistle randomly for no apparent reason. Anyways, here are some pix. Thanks for looking, comments welcome...........John
361933504_TpqEe-M.jpg
361931066_WiJZx-M.jpg
361933586_Lwr3q-M.jpg
361936712_xi8oY-M.jpg
361952180_pNpfL-M.jpg
361955912_NJaxW-M.jpg
361959323_yUVGi-M.jpg

Comments

• shoppixshoppix Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    field hockey
    look pretty good to me. A bit overexposed perhaps, but sharp, with faces and the ball!

You need to sit down, lie down, kneel and stand(smetimes) to get a variety of shots/perspectives. I recently shot a few games at the Bay State Games(Massachusetts) which are now posted on my flickr site (shoppix.flickr). I had them on smugmug but told to remove them since I was not the hired photographer!

The whistles for fouls in field hockey drive me nuts. I'm used to non stop action of soccer! My daughter is a HS senior this year, so one more yr of shooting field hockey at this level. I'll try to get my foot in the door at the college she gets into, and shoot some of their games. I hope.

We went to a college game to watch last year (Wheaton College, Div 3) and what a difference in spped and action of the game. Worth taking your daughter to see college level play.
  • vz223vz223 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 31, 2008
    Still scrimmaging here in NJ. They look pretty sharp, just a tad over-exposed in that bright sunlight. Just picked up a circular polarizer for this up-coming season to help with that.
    John, try shooting from either the right or left of the goals. I find that the girls will have their faces looking up more at the goal before they shoot.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    +1 on getting different perspectives. Low to the ground is great and also getting higher than just standing. The field becomes the background.
    Just picked up a circular polarizer for this up-coming season to help with that.

Using a polorizer for sports can give a nice effect, but learning to control the camera settings is better for adjusting exposure. Overexposed sports shots means faster shutterspeed can be obtained and fast SS is your friend with sports. Using a polorizer will slow shutterspeed because you lose a stop or two, and you can still get overexposed shots because the camera will make adjustments accordingly. Controlling SS and aperture are better ways of controlling exposure.

The exposure on these shots look pretty good considering it looks like it as midday.