Options

I want "Get A Link" Enabled, but I want "Send an Email" Disabled - How do I set this?

BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
edited August 30, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Friends who are trying to link to my images using the Share feature are telling me they only see the Email option under Share. Obviously, they only need to click the 'Get a Link' option, but they're getting confused. Since I don't really want the Email feature in the first place, how do I turn the Email off so only the Links show up when they hit the Share button? That would end any chance of confusion.

One other detail... My personal email is showing up when I click Share and the Email option comes up. I assume that this is only because I'm logged in, and that at no time in any feature in smugmuh does my email address show up - Is my assumtion correct?

Thanks in advance, John
Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2008
    Brody wrote:
    Friends who are trying to link to my images using the Share feature are telling me they only see the Email option under Share. Obviously, they only need to click the 'Get a Link' option, but they're getting confused. Since I don't really want the Email feature in the first place, how do I turn the Email off so only the Links show up when they hit the Share button? That would end any chance of confusion.

One other detail... My personal email is showing up when I click Share and the Email option comes up. I assume that this is only because I'm logged in, and that at no time in any feature in smugmuh does my email address show up - Is my assumtion correct?

Thanks in advance, John

Do you have a power or pro account?

I'm hoping someone else will chime in with an easier way, but the only way I know of to do this involves a little Javascript customization to change the Share link to always start out with the links. I agree it's easy to miss the one you're not on. I think this is partly because the two pages don't look like tabs so people have to actually read and understand rather than visually recognize tabs to understand that there are more options there.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Do you have a power or pro account?

I'm hoping someone else will chime in with an easier way, but the only way I know of to do this involves a little Javascript customization to change the Share link to always start out with the links. I agree it's easy to miss the one you're not on. I think this is partly because the two pages don't look like tabs so people have to actually read and understand rather than visually recognize tabs to understand that there are more options there.

I actually had to look to answer you ne_nau.gif In control panel settings, it says Account Type: Pro, so I guess that's it.

By the way, your explanation above of the design and cause of the confusion is quite clear. To be perfectly honest, until my friends started writing about the problem, I didn't know the issue existed. Every time I'd ever clicked "Share", it had always shown the links, and I'd copy the code and be gone... I didn't dwell in that area.

Does my Pro status make a difference? With most of my issues, after a bunch of digging, someone tells me of a little button to click, and like magic, it's cured. I hope that's the case here.

Thanks for the feedback. Now I hope someone has that magic answer. John
    Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2008
    Brody wrote:
    I actually had to look to answer you ne_nau.gif In control panel settings, it says Account Type: Pro, so I guess that's it.

By the way, your explanation above of the design and cause of the confusion is quite clear. To be perfectly honest, until my friends started writing about the problem, I didn't know the issue existed. Every time I'd ever clicked "Share", it had always shown the links, and I'd copy the code and be gone... I didn't dwell in that area.

Does my Pro status make a difference? With most of my issues, after a bunch of digging, someone tells me of a little button to click, and like magic, it's cured. I hope that's the case here.

Thanks for the feedback. Now I hope someone has that magic answer. John
    You can put this code into the "Footer Javascript" section of your customizations and the link page will always come up on Links, not Email. I don't know how to make the email page go away, but this will always start it out on Links everytime.
    function ForceShareLink()
    {
        var item = document.getElementById("shareLink");
        if (item)
        {
            item.href += "&how=forum";
        }
    }

onPhotoShow.subscribe(ForceShareLink);

--John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    You can put this code into the "Footer Javascript" section of your customizations and the link page will always come up on Links, not Email. I don't know how to make the email page go away, but this will always start it out on Links everytime.
    function ForceShareLink()
    {
        var item = document.getElementById("shareLink");
        if (item)
        {
            item.href += "&how=forum";
        }
    }

onPhotoShow.subscribe(ForceShareLink);

I did as you ordered and it worked exactly as you said :))

I tested it about ten times so far without any issues. Thanks much for your feedback - my friends were having fits.

Much appreciated!

Take care, John
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2008
    Brody wrote:
    I did as you ordered and it worked exactly as you said :))

I tested it about ten times so far without any issues. Thanks much for your feedback - my friends were having fits.

Much appreciated!

Take care, John

Cool, glad it worked for you. I put it on my site too.
    --John
    HomepagePopular