Yosemite

dreamlessdreamless Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited October 22, 2008 in Landscapes
Hello, I was at Yosemite a few weeks ago and decided to do some post-processing on one of the pictures and was hoping you all could help me out on the initial results. I am including the before (unedited, right from the camera) pic and the after (edited but not finalized with Photoshop).

Before:
362131789_RtXuj-L.jpg

After:
362131819_cMq8X-L.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments

• jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2008
    Not sure I can see all that much difference. What corrections did you make?
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • dreamlessdreamless Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    Sorry, I should have added what was actually done.

I did only some color correction to the pic and was hoping to get some recommendations on what should be next and if the color corrections were enough or if more is needed. I agree by looking at it in the post it is hard to tell. It was easier when I was looking at it side by side.

Basically I'm using the tutorials I found here on dgrin. My experience with Photoshop does not include this type of manipulatoin so I have a fairly large learning curve in that respect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Nice i can see difference in sky i like both versions
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • HarrymacHarrymac Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    a vert nice fresh scene well caught, the sky tones on the second shot are nice and richthumb.gif
  • BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    The second shot definitely seems to pop more.

Nice shot. Love the angle.

The branch at top center is a shame. May suggest a removal attempt so long as you can do it cleanly.
    edited September 5, 2008
    Thank you all.

The branch in the middle along with the side was done intentionally. I wanted a little foreground along with the wider background. I thought it would add a little more to the picture. I do however have several pictures of just the background along with other variations to this shot if anyone is interested. I need to do some post processing on some of these other pictures then I can post. I hope to have some time this weekend to work on some pictures before I go out-of-town again next week.
    edited September 19, 2008
    Thought I would add a few more pics.
    375711982_E4Wuf-L.jpg

I'm not sure if this next has any real luster to it but thought I'd post it to see what others thought.
    375712034_QRw7k-L.jpg

375712074_JZaYn-L.jpg

375712053_whaXg-L.jpg

375712108_EXuuB-L.jpg

375712126_uNPT8-L.jpg

375712127_zeVhW-L.jpg

C&C's always welcome, thanks.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    dreamless wrote:

375712053_whaXg-S.jpg

This one is fantastic!!!! thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    schmoo wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif

I was just at Yosemite about 2 weeks ago and you've got some awesome shots!! I'm especially jealous that you had some clouds. There wasn't a single cloud in the sky for my entire stay... made for a great vacation, but not such great photos.

Nice work on all of them!! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    dreamless wrote:
    Thought I would add a few more pics.

I'm not sure if this next has any real luster to it but thought I'd post it to see what others thought.

C&C's always welcome, thanks.

Was this taken on the way to Sentinel Dome by chance (#2)? Either way, I personally don't care for it as the trees are in the way.

I like the El Capitan shot myself! Hoping to get back up there in the next few weeks.... wings.gif
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    Nice shots. I love Yosemite.

I particularly liked this one:

375712074_JZaYn-L.jpg
    edited September 20, 2008
    schmoo wrote:

Thank you schmoo, I appreciate it.
    CWSkopec wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

I was just at Yosemite about 2 weeks ago and you've got some awesome shots!! I'm especially jealous that you had some clouds. There wasn't a single cloud in the sky for my entire stay... made for a great vacation, but not such great photos.

Nice work on all of them!! thumb.gif

Thank you cwskopec, I have been to Yosemite 5 times now...all one day trips (arrive and leave same day) while in Merced for business. My second trip there (September of last year) the weather was rainy and later in the day turned snowy so I ended up with a lot of pictures with some nice clouds. The weather made for some fantastic scenery and I'm hoping I can get some really nice shots.
    Was this taken on the way to Sentinel Dome by chance (#2)? Either way, I personally don't care for it as the trees are in the way.

I like the El Capitan shot myself! Hoping to get back up there in the next few weeks.... wings.gif

I took this picture at Glacier Point. I agree, I'm not that thrilled with the picture myself but thought I'd get other opinions on it just to see.
    erich6 wrote:
    Nice shots. I love Yosemite.

I particularly liked this one:

375712074_JZaYn-L.jpg

Thank you erich6, I really like that picture as well...I have it as my background on my PC.
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    dreamless wrote:
    I took this picture at Glacier Point. I agree, I'm not that thrilled with the picture myself but thought I'd get other opinions on it just to see.

Did you get a chance to drive up to the high country (Tioga Road)? IMO, THAT is Yosemite to me! I can't believe I haven't been to Yosemite since July. I need to go...iloveyou.gif
    Did you get a chance to drive up to the high country (Tioga Road)? IMO, THAT is Yosemite to me! I can't believe I haven't been to Yosemite since July. I need to go...iloveyou.gif

Yes, I took a drive across Tioga and it was beautiful. I have a bunch of pics of that as well. I need to start going through all my Yosemite pics and start processing/posting them.
    edited October 4, 2008
    Here are a few more for your viewing pleasure...

386262852_DRejF-L.jpg

386263504_2BqjM-L.jpg

386264720_D6Yyp-L.jpg

386265058_JbafZ-L.jpg

386265461_KdNyT-L.jpg

386265903_ue2zN-L.jpg

386264080_QhqH9-L.jpg
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    Thwack wrote:
    I just got back from spending three days at Yosemite hiking around with a buddy that knows 1,000 times more about photography than I ever will. Learned a ton and saw parts of Yosemite I'd never seen before. We hit Tioga Road, Tuolumne Meadows, Olmsted Point, Washburn, Glacier Point, Taft Point, three different bridges on the valley floor, Bridal Veil Falls, and several pullouts.

It'll take me forever to get through half the pics but a few are share-able without tons of post...and I'm tossing in some pics from past trips as long as we're talking about Yosemite...

First one I think was looking upstream from Sentinel Bridge in early March '08.

Also from that trip...Half Dome with clouds (your cloud-covered El Cap reminded me of this pic...but yours is much cooler):

From this past weekend...Bridal Veil Falls is almost dry:

The relative lack of water means the Merced River is almost glassy smooth so reflection shots are easy:

Looking east-ish (I think) from Olmstead Point:

Another shot from Olmstead Point area, that's Tenaya Lake faded in the background:

A weird peak that caught my eye as we were hiking in the meadow (compliments of Nikon's 70-300 VR lens):

shallow pool along the side of the Tuolumne River near Pothole Dome...taken without a polarizer (trees on the far side of the pool cast enough shadow on the shallow water to make this possible):

Hi Thwack,

We don't have any hard and fast rules about posting photos in other peoples threads, but you might get a wider response on your set if you started a new thread with your Yosemite shots. Just a suggestion!
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    Beautiful work! clap.gif I still have yet to visit Yosemite, but I hope to get there within the next few year. :D

James
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Hi Thwack,

We don't have any hard and fast rules about posting photos in other peoples threads, but you might get a wider response on your set if you started a new thread with your Yosemite shots. Just a suggestion!

My apologies. I was speed-reading due to having way too much catching up to do and didn't notice only Dreamless was posting pics.

I'll go clean my post up (and was intending to start a new thread if I ever get through post on enough pics to make a new thread worthwhile).