girls soccer

shphotosshphotos Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
edited September 2, 2008 in Sports
I have taken thousands of pictures of my daughters' soccer teams and this is my favorite shot so far--unfortunately, the player in blue is from the other team.

362153434_jW3NL-M.jpg

Comments

• shoppixshoppix Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    girls soccer
    Hi sh

What are you shooting with (camera/lens)? Let's see some others. See if we do not like what you do not like!

In this one you have the ball and faces, but kind of too far off to left. Might have more interesting shot a few split seconds before this???

How many pictures are you taking of each game? Should be 200-300! Of course that wouold be shooting all action during the game, not just when your daughter is on the field. The more you shoot the better your timing and concentration gets.

Steve
  • shphotosshphotos Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    Steve,

Thanks for looking. I have a Canon EOS D40 and a 70-200 lens. I typically take 200-300 pictures a game, but I rarely keep any where "my" team doesn't have the ball. This one was an exception. I liked the player's expression and the rooster tail. I couldn't get a crop that was outstanding, but I thought this worked okay. Here are a couple others that I liked.

Susan

334876379_C7UJm-L.jpg
    334892636_Xkva6-M.jpg
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    Getting lower and shooting up will help out with making the pictures look different from everybody else and will also make the athletes look taller. It will negate some of the background as well.
  • shoppixshoppix Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    girls soccer
    Hi Susan

The other goalie capture is very good - peak action and sharp.
    John's suggestions are good. You might get wet, dirty knees and 'bottom', but it all comes out in the wash!! Got to get that shot!!

You might try a wider aperture to blur more of the background. It helps the subject stand out even more than just being sharply focused.What is your typical aperture setting? Is your 70-200 the f4 or f2.8 lens?

Steve
  • shphotosshphotos Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    shoppix wrote:
    Hi Susan

The other goalie capture is very good - peak action and sharp.
    John's suggestions are good. You might get wet, dirty knees and 'bottom', but it all comes out in the wash!! Got to get that shot!!

You might try a wider aperture to blur more of the background. It helps the subject stand out even more than just being sharply focused.What is your typical aperture setting? Is your 70-200 the f4 or f2.8 lens?

Steve

Thanks Steve,
    I believe the lens is an f4. I would like to blur more of the background. I've had several nice shots with porta-potties in the background. I typically have the aperture at 5-6. What do you recommend? Thanks for your input.

Susan
    http://shphotos.smugmug.com/
  • Racerx7734Racerx7734 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    shphotos wrote:
    Thanks Steve,
    I believe the lens is an f4. I would like to blur more of the background. I've had several nice shots with porta-potties in the background. I typically have the aperture at 5-6. What do you recommend? Thanks for your input.

Susan

Get Low.......as mentioned before, it's the only way to make your shots different then everyone else's. I were knee pads, dirty pants and a dirty longth sleeve shirt.

There are some images here that show some soccer shots that I have taken:
    http://wmsmith.smugmug.com/gallery/5737674_irdYE/1/363585135_chnWU
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    shphotos wrote:
    Thanks Steve,

Susan

I recommend getting a 2.8rolleyes1.gif

Other than that, shoot wide open, it's the only thing you can do.

Gene