Family Beach Portraits

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited September 2, 2008 in People
Hi All,

I did a dual family beach portrait session on Cape Cod today. This is one of the shots and I'm frustrated with the varied focusing in manual mode. Is there a recommended way to control depth of field while in manual mode or do I have to switch to apeture priority mode? I've stayed away from this mode most times because it seems (it could just be me) that it has a huge impact on shutter speed especially at higher F/Stops. I'm sorta familiar with the mechanics and why the shutter speed would be changed depending on F/Stop to mitigate the loss of light at higher F/Stops but sheesh I can't seem to get the magic working on this.

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated. Anyway, c&c still welcome on the shot even though the young boy is out of focus.

362192727_boX8G-L.jpg
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2008
    It's not 100%, but the kids are cute, the wind is in their hair. I think the parents will love it
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    Flutist wrote:
    It's not 100%, but the kids are cute, the wind is in their hair. I think the parents will love it

Thanks Flutist and yes the kids were cute and very personable. This picture is to show the example of the DOF issue I'm having shooting in manual mode to manage shutter speed to see if someone had anyrecommendation. It's an ok shot but definitely not a wow'er. Thanks for the feedback.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    Hi All,

I did a dual family beach portrait session on Cape Cod today. This is one of the shots and I'm frustrated with the varied focusing in manual mode. Is there a recommended way to control depth of field while in manual mode or do I have to switch to apeture priority mode? I've stayed away from this mode most times because it seems (it could just be me) that it has a huge impact on shutter speed especially at higher F/Stops. I'm sorta familiar with the mechanics and why the shutter speed would be changed depending on F/Stop to mitigate the loss of light at higher F/Stops but sheesh I can't seem to get the magic working on this.
    OK, this is not exactly rocket science. Determine what you need for DOF. Get a copy of DOFMaster and use that to compute the aperture you need for the focal length you are using and the distance you are from the subject. Easy stuff. I have a copy of the application for my Palm T|X - works a real treat.

So, once you have the aperture figured out, the rest falls into line. Whether you use aperture priority or manual mode really doesn't matter. In Av, you just need to keep you eye on the shutter speed as it will change with changes in the light. On the other hand, in manual mode, you will need to pay attention to your histogram as it will change with the changing light and you will need to compensate.
  • DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    make sure you're flipping your switch all the way up past "on" on the 5D, then the big wheel will control aperture when in full manual. Use a calculator or some experimentation to decide on the right settings. Usually, if everyone's on or near the same plane you can start at f/8 and go from there depending on your need for Bokeh.
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
    edited September 1, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    make sure you're flipping your switch all the way up past "on" on the 5D, then the big wheel will control aperture when in full manual. Use a calculator or some experimentation to decide on the right settings. Usually, if everyone's on or near the same plane you can start at f/8 and go from there depending on your need for Bokeh.

Joe: I had forgotten all about that 2nd level on switch. Damn!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Thank you for a spot on reply!
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    Joe: I had forgotten all about that 2nd level on switch. Damn!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Thank you for a spot on reply!

No prob, d00d!
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
    edited September 1, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    No prob, d00d!

:D Just made my night bud...I've been wrestling with this issue and never connected the frick'n dots. Now I can't tell you how stoked I am to do another shoot!! Thanks again for thoughtful post!! thumb.gifclap.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• JimFuglestadJimFuglestad Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Hi,

I think the shot is what it is, and the parents will be happy with it. Honestly, I didn't notice the boy being out of focus.

Can you share the exif info from the shot, specifically the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO? THat would help considerably.

The relationship between aperture, shutter speed, and ISO is THE "AHA Moment" of photography. Great photography really can only start when what you've learned becomes so instinctual you don't even feel like it was something you ever had to learn.

Jim
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
    Live as if this is all there is.