Young Family at the Beach

DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
edited September 2, 2008 in People
I did a photo shoot for a young military family at the beach last weekend. I really admire them for serving our country. Your honest C&C is greatly appreciated. Are some of these too warm? Too much pp on the skin? Anything else that can be better?

360987732_wvViN-L-1.jpg

360988158_nahh8-L-1.jpg

360988696_ATm6p-L-1.jpg

360988956_LNZfc-L.jpg

360989586_8onrR-L.jpg

360989696_AtU8h-L.jpg

360989735_aEoXi-L.jpg

360989953_TBqtm-L.jpg

360990021_hECd3-L.jpg

360990067_qEggr-L.jpg

360990157_epDTd-L.jpg

360990207_LVf3H-L.jpg

360990494_BLmyb-L.jpg

360990689_ciYV9-L.jpg

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    10, 11, & 12 are my favorite. 14 would have been great....he's looking directly @ you, she's looking beyond and to your right.
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    2, 4, 8, 10 are my favs!!! Great job. A couple are a bit orange skinned for me, but I've seen it in pics.
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    Nice stuff! #8 and #11 are my favs! thumb.gif
    Too bad you only used the glimpse of the honey hour, if at all... Light just started getting good in your last frames...ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    Nice shots David! thumb.gif

Nice lighting on all of them. #4 and 8 are my favorites.
    Followed closely by 2, 3, 7 and 13.
    #1 I wonder if the son was a little higher, maybe on the ridge, if that would help the viewing.
    I would warm up #7 (the whites of his eyes look blue) a bit and I would warm up 13.
    I think the wife is too low in 14; I think her eyes should be around the height of his lips, and the skin is orangey, but I like the expressions.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    These are all very, very good. Most are wonderful. Number 1 and 6 are the only ones that don't really do anything for me.

On the other hand, number 13 absolutely took my breath away. Truly wonderful work there.
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    Idlewild wrote:
    10, 11, & 12 are my favorite. 14 would have been great....he's looking directly @ you, she's looking beyond and to your right.

Thank you. On number 14, I believe her eyes are looking into the camera, it is just her head that is turned. That being said it would have been better if her head were not turned.
    edited August 31, 2008
    Flutist wrote:
    2, 4, 8, 10 are my favs!!! Great job. A couple are a bit orange skinned for me, but I've seen it in pics.

Thanks Shannon for the nice words and for pointing out the orange as well. I was wondering about that as well, but not sure if they should look that way because of the evening light.
    edited August 31, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nice stuff! #8 and #11 are my favs! thumb.gif
    Too bad you only used the glimpse of the honey hour, if at all... Light just started getting good in your last frames...ne_nau.gif

Thank you Nikolai. I agree on the light. I wish it lasted longer. My shoot was two hours, so I only caught part of the really good light.
    edited August 31, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    Nice shots David! thumb.gif

Nice lighting on all of them. #4 and 8 are my favorites.
    Followed closely by 2, 3, 7 and 13.
    #1 I wonder if the son was a little higher, maybe on the ridge, if that would help the viewing.
    I would warm up #7 (the whites of his eyes look blue) a bit and I would warm up 13.
    I think the wife is too low in 14; I think her eyes should be around the height of his lips, and the skin is orangey, but I like the expressions.

Thank you for the nice words and especially for the advise.
    edited August 31, 2008
    These are all very, very good. Most are wonderful. Number 1 and 6 are the only ones that don't really do anything for me.

On the other hand, number 13 absolutely took my breath away. Truly wonderful work there.

Thank you Scott. I really appreciate that.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    David, I must say....you've come a long way! I really like these a great deal. Yes, there always will be shoulda, coulda's but overall, I'm liking the light, compositions, moods conveyed here. They will be very pleased....and you should be too. Nice job.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited September 1, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    David, I must say....you've come a long way! I really like these a great deal. Yes, there always will be shoulda, coulda's but overall, I'm liking the light, compositions, moods conveyed here. They will be very pleased....and you should be too. Nice job.

Thank you Swartzy. I appreciate the encouragement. They were extremely pleased, but I always want to improve so it is important for me to hear from other photographers, such as yourself, whether I am on track and what I need to do better.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    wow, you certainly have come a long way! These are all very, very nicely done.

#4 and 9 just blow me away! I can see #4 as a big canvas on their wall. I just love the colors, exposure and overall composition.

In #8, it looks as though her eye is just ever-so-slightly open. I wonder if you just cloned in some mascara over that sliver she'd look like her eyes were really shut and that wistful look complete.

I'm so jealous of your "studio" and what you're able to accomplish with it...white shirts and all! Fab-o!thumb.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited September 1, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:

#4 and 9 just blow me away! I can see #4 as a big canvas on their wall. I just love the colors, exposure and overall composition.

In #8, it looks as though her eye is just ever-so-slightly open. I wonder if you just cloned in some mascara over that sliver she'd look like her eyes were really shut and that wistful look complete.

I'm so jealous of your "studio" and what you're able to accomplish with it...white shirts and all! Fab-o!thumb.gif

Thank you Lynne for the nice words and advise. I hope I can do work that is as good as you and many of the others who have left comments some day.
    edited September 2, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:

Lynne,

I am so slow. I just got your reference to my "studio". Yes, I am very fortunate to have the beach. It is a great place to shoot.