Options

More from mark and michelle's wedding

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited September 4, 2008 in Weddings
I got a call and an e-mail from the Bride last night. She is totally in love with what she's seen so far...which I'm glad. He lives in Texas and of course, she and her daughter will be moving there. She wants to fly me down there next year to take their anniversary and family pics. I told her that I was completely game! LOL

Here is the link to the gallery. http://julielawsonphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/5825257_nWzgy/1/361583323_wP5tc
361797360_PWgka-L.jpg
This is of the kids and they were really far away. The color version isn't that great so I converted it to black and white and added noise and crisscross brush strokes to make it more artistic. What do you think?
362197553_6YZTW-L.jpg
361601630_gLxo8-L.jpg
361601863_Rwwbf-L.jpg
361583323_wP5tc-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Hi Julie,

You've done a pretty good job with these in difficult conditions. It's great that your client loves them - that's why we do this eh?

One thought though - I looked at your gallery and it looks as though you still have the original file names. I believe it is really important that you rename the files before you post them anywhere or give them to the client.

Trust me, if there are numbers missing in the sequence, you'll get clients wanting to see those missing images. If you are anything like me, you'll have images that will never see the light of day and we need to keep it that way.

What I do is "edit in". I go through my RAW images in Lightroom and tag the ones I want to show to the clients. These are the only ones that get my attention and are exported to JPG. Next thing I do is use Bridge to sort by capture time and then rename. I give them the clients initials plus 4 digit sequential number. No gaps and nothing else exists - nice and clean.

I don't know about you, but only about 60% of the shots I take make it to the proof gallery. I'm certainly capable of getting poor focus, terrible exposure, crappy composition etc, but I also tend to take small bursts of some of the formals and portaits. This way I can choose the one with nice expressions and dump the rest.

Actually, I lied; I have a second thought. I don't think I like the idea of having more than one version of the same image in the gallery. It either works in colour or b&w - hard to be good in both.
  • Options
    JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    david_h wrote:
    Hi Julie,

You've done a pretty good job with these in difficult conditions. It's great that your client loves them - that's why we do this eh?

One thought though - I looked at your gallery and it looks as though you still have the original file names. I believe it is really important that you rename the files before you post them anywhere or give them to the client.

Trust me, if there are numbers missing in the sequence, you'll get clients wanting to see those missing images. If you are anything like me, you'll have images that will never see the light of day and we need to keep it that way.

What I do is "edit in". I go through my RAW images in Lightroom and tag the ones I want to show to the clients. These are the only ones that get my attention and are exported to JPG. Next thing I do is use Bridge to sort by capture time and then rename. I give them the clients initials plus 4 digit sequential number. No gaps and nothing else exists - nice and clean.

I don't know about you, but only about 60% of the shots I take make it to the proof gallery. I'm certainly capable of getting poor focus, terrible exposure, crappy composition etc, but I also tend to take small bursts of some of the formals and portaits. This way I can choose the one with nice expressions and dump the rest.

Actually, I lied; I have a second thought. I don't think I like the idea of having more than one version of the same image in the gallery. It either works in colour or b&w - hard to be good in both.

I intend to fix the names of the files. I intended to do that beforehand and then forgot. (I need to think ahead more) I added several versions of the same image for the bride to choose from. I honestly don't have a lot of photo jobs lined up, yet (i will once fall is in full swing) and so I enjoy playing with different effects. I just want her to pick which one she likes. I think most of them will be in black and white only because she does prefer that and these images will look better in B&W. :D

I appreciate your comment David.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    I use another naming convention/workflow. Using Bridge, I get ALL the raws together and use the time of capture (HHMMSS) and, usually, the last name of the new couple. I also apply all the metadata (copyright, etc) to the entire batch.

Now, I can go through and seperate between the keepers and the culls. Because I use the time of capture in the filename, I don't have to worry about changing my mind about tossing an image during PP that I thought was a keeper - there's gaps all through the series and the clients think nothing of it.

If I'm asked about the names and/or the appearant gaps, I just explain about the naming convention and that satisfies them as they already know that I'm not going to deliver some of the shots (I call the missing shots duplicates - don't need to confuse the issue with mentioning the OOF, under/over exposures, etc).

As for photo #2 above, I think that is a marvelous save - looks very interesting.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    All I see is red X's.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    bham wrote:
    All I see is red X's.
    I just forced a manual re-fresh and all the photos are still there.
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    I think the gallery looks great. The primary thing is that if the client loves the results, then that is what primarily matters. mwink.gif The family group shots on the last page are thumb.gif.