Options

firefox issues

SnapdragonphotoSnapdragonphoto Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited September 2, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I recently updated firefox to the newest version 3.1, Before I updated my page's looked great in Firefox, IE7 & Safari. Now firefox seems to be ignoring most of what I did in customization. I can't find anything in firefox help to fix the problem. I was wondering if anyone else was havign this problem and how to fix it.

Thanks
Lana
http://snapdragonphotography.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    Hi Lana,
    Sorry I can't help other than to confirm that your site doesn't look good in FF 3.01 on a Mac :-( In Safari it looks OK except there is no banner ?
    I'm not seeing any problems with my site in FF.
    Caroline
    I recently updated firefox to the newest version 3.1, Before I updated my page's looked great in Firefox, IE7 & Safari. Now firefox seems to be ignoring most of what I did in customization. I can't find anything in firefox help to fix the problem. I was wondering if anyone else was havign this problem and how to fix it.

Thanks
    Lana
    http://snapdragonphotography.smugmug.com/
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited August 31, 2008
    Your site doesn't look right in Firefox 2 either, so it isn't related to your upgrade to Firefox 3.

You need to clean up your CSS - I believe that an error there is causing the problem in Firefox.

You have 2 sets of smuglogo entries. If you're going to use smuglogo, there should only be one set of entries. I'm a little baffled why you are using that instead of creating your own banner entry in your CSS as noted in the tutorial at http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1932865. When I removed both of the sets of smuglogo stuff in your CSS, your navbar displayed correctly.

You have an error in your #navcontainer ul entry. This doesn't seem to be causing a problem, but I'd recommend correcting it. If you are specifying a value other than 0, you need to specify the units too. px for pixels, % for percentage, etc. I suspect that instead of
    padding: 20;

you want
    padding: 20px;

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2008
    Your site doesn't look right in Firefox 2 either, so it isn't related to your upgrade to Firefox 3.

You need to clean up your CSS - I believe that an error there is causing the problem in Firefox.

You have 2 sets of smuglogo entries. If you're going to use smuglogo, there should only be one set of entries. I'm a little baffled why you are using that instead of creating your own banner entry in your CSS as noted in the tutorial at http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1932865. When I removed both of the sets of smuglogo stuff in your CSS, your navbar displayed correctly.

You have an error in your #navcontainer ul entry. This doesn't seem to be causing a problem, but I'd recommend correcting it. If you are specifying a value other than 0, you need to specify the units too. px for pixels, % for percentage, etc. I suspect that instead of
    padding: 20;

you want
    padding: 20px;

--- Denise

hmm . . . well that is so strange it was working fine right before the up grade . . . but then I will openly admit I'm totally confused when it comes to this CSS stuff. I followed the tutorial on Andy's demo site http://andydemo.smugmug.com/gallery/5568786_7mHz6 as I really liked the concept Vs. the Banner with the nav bar underneath (I'm sure it could be adapted more to what I want but I'm really new to this) but wanted to make it more mine. I changed this padding issue . . . not sure what you are talking about with the 2 sets of smug mug logo entries. Maybe I just need to start from scratch, ugg! Thanks for looking and telling me about the padding, and letting me know its not fire fox but my page, gives me a place to start.

~Lana
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2008
    . . . not sure what you are talking about with the 2 sets of smug mug logo entries.
    Your CSS has the smuglogo entries two times. Copy the entire CSS section into a text editior and scroll through it - you should see the (not quite) duplicate entries.

Don't start from scratch, but do clean up your CSS. Organize it so that you can find things when you're looking to change them. Add comments to remind yourself why you did something (comments start with /* and end with */.

Don't blindly copy items from the forums without checking to see if you already have those entries - in which case the entries can be changed or replaced.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2008
    Your CSS has the smuglogo entries two times. Copy the entire CSS section into a text editior and scroll through it - you should see the (not quite) duplicate entries.

Don't start from scratch, but do clean up your CSS. Organize it so that you can find things when you're looking to change them. Add comments to remind yourself why you did something (comments start with /* and end with */.

Don't blindly copy items from the forums without checking to see if you already have those entries - in which case the entries can be changed or replaced.

--- Denise

OKAY! lol I think its all better . . . thank your for your help. If it wouldn't be to much trouble could you go back and look at it and see if it looks right when someone else views it? Logo to the left, nav bar to the right, just the slide show in the middle, everything else hiddin. I now seems okay in IE 7, FF 3.0.1 and Safari 3.1.2 on my end.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2008
    OKAY! lol I think its all better . . . thank your for your help. If it wouldn't be to much trouble could you go back and look at it and see if it looks right when someone else views it?
    Looks good here now in IE7 and FF 2.0.0.16.

--- Denise
  • Options
    JoeGJoeG Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Looks good here now in IE7 and FF 2.0.0.16.

--- Denise

And in Firefox 3.0.1
    Joe Gearhart
    Photos | Blogs | Twitter | MySpace | Facebook
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    Fantastic! Thank you guys! This CSS stuff really has been a learning experience and I'm still not sure what I've learned lol.
    wings.gifLana