Great minds think alike.

cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
edited September 5, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Anyone else see a new contest open up and get fifty ideas and start setting up. Then you go and check the contest thread and at least ten of your ideas are already made?
I can't help but appreciate my competition for that. More times than not, the entry by someone else of a shared idea is ten times better. I don't think I could have pulled off my muddy pictures unless I had loaded up the thread and seen children in squalor and sunsets and thought "Thwarted again!!!!!" After much fist shaking I got some nice pictures that I and Kari are happy with so, it all worked out in the end.

Good Luck everybody! *shakes fist at little girls whispering secrets and love letter and braille!!!!* :rofl

Comments

• LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    lol3.gif You'll notice I tend to enter early... mwink.gif

I always appreciate seeing the 30+ ideas that didn't occur to me!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    That's why thinking out of the box is important... mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    Anyone else see a new contest open up and get fifty ideas and start setting up. Then you go and check the contest thread and at least ten of your ideas are already made?
    I can't help but appreciate my competition for that. More times than not, the entry by someone else of a shared idea is ten times better. I don't think I could have pulled off my muddy pictures unless I had loaded up the thread and seen children in squalor and sunsets and thought "Thwarted again!!!!!" After much fist shaking I got some nice pictures that I and Kari are happy with so, it all worked out in the end.

Good Luck everybody! *shakes fist at little girls whispering secrets and love letter and braille!!!!* rolleyes1.gif

lol3.gif

That's where I am.... and I'm glad I still have a few ideas left!! lol3.gif
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    It was weird not having you regulars in the running this last time. I, too, look at some of them and say "Holy crap! I never would have thought of that! Good going, dude/dudette!"

Good luck you guys, I'm sure you'll make something spectacular and Llewellyn, I'm sure you'll change yours five times and continue giving me heart attacks!! It's always better than the last and makes me think, oh hey, I might have had fifth place or so, but now I'm screwed.rolleyes1.gif
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    I Hear You!

I had considered exploring braille for this theme. But I took it as a sign that PaulThomasMcKee posted such a solid take on the idea right after I submitted my entry.

Agree with Nik: gotta think outside the box.
    edited August 31, 2008
    Sometimes outside the box can bite you on the butt. If it fits the theme, but not in an obvious way, or a linear way, people might not see it and knock you for it. It's a gamble you take. I don't know who has this as their signature but it's "creativity is hard" and that's so very true.
    edited August 31, 2008
    Damn you Jeffreaux2!!!!!!!
    umph.gif :smack :hurt

Dear John Letter, that's brilliant!! *shakes fist!*

Question to the people, does anyone else have an emotional attachment to their entries?
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    How do you mean? To the photo itself? or some element in the shot? I'm emotionally attached because it is my Daughter and her horse... I only get emotionally attached to images if there is some element in the shot that means something to me... other than that I'm pretty objective and critical of my work...

Winston
    edited September 1, 2008
    How do you mean? ... something to me... other than that I'm pretty objective and critical of my work...

Winston
    I would say you're emotionally attached to your daughter, who happens to be in the picture, but maybe not to the horse whisperer vocation at large. I'm emotionally attached to my concept as it draws on personal experience.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Apparently a number of great minds have posted their photos... :uhoh

There are some really fine shots in the entry thread. clap.gif Emily and Joyce have their work cut out for them. :heh
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    I'm with you, so far there have been five entries I was working on. I'm trying to think outside the box but first I have to find one that's different.ne_nau.gif

Good luck to all of you...

Peace, gail
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    :cry Yeah. I'm having the same issue. I had *only* 4 ideas as soon as the theme was announced. 3 of those have already been done, even the one I thought "nobody would think of this" but then somebody did - multiple people did! The last idea I have might work but it is not feesable unless I take the rest of the week off work to track down the props/model/etc that i would need to pull it off.

Time to put the thinking cap on. headscratch.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    :cry Yeah. I'm having the same issue. I had *only* 4 ideas as soon as the theme was announced. 3 of those have already been done, even the one I thought "nobody would think of this" but then somebody did - multiple people did! The last idea I have might work but it is not feesable unless I take the rest of the week off work to track down the props/model/etc that i would need to pull it off.

Time to put the thinking cap on. headscratch.gif

im not getting this?. why cant you use the same idea just with your spin on things?

where is it written "first use and only"?

jack used a cellphone in his shot, now jill cant?
    Aaron Nelson
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    im not getting this?. why cant you use the same idea just with your spin on things?

where is it written "first use and only"?

jack used a cellphone in his shot, now jill cant?

Well, there is no rule about it, but who's to say I can make a better shot with the same subject? I just like to have something different and it would get boring if everyone has the same exact subject, don't you think?

ne_nau.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Well, there is no rule about it, but who's to say I can make a better shot with the same subject? I just like to have something different and it would get boring if everyone has the same exact subject, don't you think?

ne_nau.gif
    It's all fair game - as long as yours better mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited September 3, 2008
    for me DD, not really....for me everyones to different in their style to make it boring....
    if we all had to shoot a potato im sure everyone would do it very different.

my point is only in that im not sure why every seems to say "oops there goes another idea for me..."

jeez, go for it...do it better...(not that i could do it better) im just saying try atleast...
    Aaron Nelson
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    for me DD, not really....for me everyones to different in their style to make it boring....
    if we all had to shoot a potato im sure everyone would do it very different.

my point is only in that im not sure why every seems to say "oops there goes another idea for me..."

jeez, go for it...do it better...(not that i could do it better) im just saying try atleast...

I agree with your thinking on this Aaron. I think it's cool that people don't want to outright copy another person's image but I do think there is nearly unlimited room for interpretation within a given concept. In fact, it might be fun to have a challenge (or a mini-challenge) in which everyone had to photograph the same generic subject (like a potato) just to see all the variations on the theme.
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    I agree with your thinking on this Aaron. I think it's cool that people don't want to outright copy another person's image but I do think there is nearly unlimited room for interpretation within a given concept. In fact, it might be fun to have a challenge (or a mini-challenge) in which everyone had to photograph the same generic subject (like a potato) just to see all the variations on the theme.

I'm holding both you and Aaron accountable if we end up shooting potatoes in a future challengerolleyes1.gif

But seriously, I agree with you that these challenges are about stretching creatively to interpret the themes. Look at the frustratration over someone having the same idea for the contest as:
    a. a sign that you had a really good ideaclap.gif and
    b. a prod to keep exploring
    edited September 4, 2008
    thumb.gif haha, im glad to help Halite...haha

and Paul, i will keep that in mind about the mini-challenge....if i could ever win that thing i now have a theme ready....haha
    Aaron Nelson
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Ideas? What ideas?

Mostly lately I'm just trying to look at what's before my nose when I have my camera in my hand. It's just that simple.. or difficult.. I can't decide...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008

Question to the people, does anyone else have an emotional attachment to their entries?

Not a huge attachment, but it is special. My shot is the letters from my Father to my Mother while he was in Vietnam. He was 19 and she was 18.

When she pulled them out for me to use them I was in awe. Before internet, text messages, etc. People sat down and wrote... on paper. I cannot help wondering how long before this means of communication is gone forever? :cry
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**
    ~Working with my Nikon D80~
    <My dream is to be the kind of mother, my kids already think I am>
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    thumb.gif haha, im glad to help Halite...haha

and Paul, i will keep that in mind about the mini-challenge....if i could ever win that thing i now have a theme ready....haha

Laughing.gif...I was thinking the same thingrolleyes1.gif!

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker