Nikon is gettin me mad

AugieAugie Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited September 2, 2008 in Cameras
How come whenever I call any of the big NYC shops or even the good local ones, not a one can tell me when fast glass telephotos will be available.

Can anyone here provide insight?

If this keeps I just may float test my D300 in the middle of Boston Harbor and by Canon. :dunno:deal

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    Are you wishing they would make new lenses or is you problem with what is in stock? What exactly are you wishing they would make?
  • BrascoleBrascole Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    Augie wrote:
    How come whenever I call any of the big NYC shops or even the good local ones, not a one can tell me when fast glass telephotos will be available.

If this keeps I just may float test my D300 in the middle of Boston Harbor and by Canon. ne_nau.gifdeal

My guess is two fold. With the intro of the new line up of camera's starting with D300, D3 and D700. there are that many more people purchasing the quality lenses. So you add Nikon shooters and those from other camera manufactures who switched to Nikon and that's one reason. Second, if your talking about the 70-200VR, 80-400VR and the 300F4 it might be that Nikon has slowed their manufacture in anticipation of the new versions that may be released in a few months.

I understand what you feel. I am still waiting for a 300F4 on order for two months. Be patient and check out nikonrumors dot com.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    It's not just a Nikon problem. Some of the better Sigma glass for Nikon mount is having back order problems.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    It's not just a Nikon problem. Some of the better Sigma glass for Nikon mount is having back order problems.

Of course.....if it is not available from Nikon......then we consumers turn to the next best source....Sigma and all of a sudden these lenses become hard to get....................you just may have to settle for bumping the iso and running a noise reducing software................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Could always convert to the grand land of Oly!mwink.gif
  • jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Augie wrote:

If this keeps I just may float test my D300 in the middle of Boston Harbor and by Canon. ne_nau.gifdeal

Float away if you want, but B&H has the Nikkor 400mm f2.8G VR in stock. mwink.gif

Not quite as fast, but quickly has become one of my favorites is the Nikkor 200-400 f4 VR and is also in stock. thumb.gif
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Float it my way instead. Boston Harbor gets enough stuff dumped in it, I'll save you the littering fine :D
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    unfortunately, Nikon has the tendency of keeping those wanting pro glass waiting... if there's any positive flip side to it; the stuff tends to retains its value pretty darn well. thumb.gif i waited about a month for my Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8.

there's been a lot of speculation of 3-4 new/updated pro lenses of longer focal lengths to be announced sometime in between now and photokina. while i'm personally crossing my fingers for a D3x; i think the current 70-200mm f/2.8 is pretty darned good as is.

as far as purchases go, i suggest adding yourself to the in-stock email notification list at B&H and putting yourself on the backorder list on one at Calumet.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Retained value...Laughing.gif. I look at depreciation and replacement value. Go get some good glass from someone else or as someone else suggested move to Oly. They make some great stuff.

Cheers,
    David

dangin wrote:
    unfortunately, Nikon has the tendency of keeping those wanting pro glass waiting... if there's any positive flip side to it; the stuff tends to retains its value pretty darn well. thumb.gif i waited about a month for my Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8.

there's been a lot of speculation of 3-4 new/updated pro lenses of longer focal lengths to be announced sometime in between now and photokina. while i'm personally crossing my fingers for a D3x; i think the current 70-200mm f/2.8 is pretty darned good as is.

as far as purchases go, i suggest adding yourself to the in-stock email notification list at B&H and putting yourself on the backorder list on one at Calumet.
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Retained value...Laughing.gif. I look at depreciation and replacement value. Go get some good glass from someone else or as someone else suggested move to Oly. They make some great stuff.

Cheers,
    David

well i suppose that depends on what your definition of retained value is. i bought my nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 for right around $1600. used copies of this lens in vg/ex shape regularly go for around $1500-1600 on ebay. seems like this model lens has held its value fairly well over the years. is this true of all lenses? of course not; however it's typical of many "pro" lenses (nikon or canon).

if oly floats your boat, good for you. no need to be dogging the nikons. i happen to like my nikon (and canon) equipment. my d3 will probably catch shots at 6400 iso that no oly can capture at the same exposure. :D
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto