need help purchasing a Nikon

Mike LeBlancMike LeBlanc Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited September 10, 2008 in Cameras
I have liked Nikons for awhile now and I have been wanting to buy one. Currently I have a Canon S3 IS which has limited me allot! I usually shoot flowers, birds & hopefully more DGrin challenges. I have no idea what to expect from either camera and at this point I have no plans to purchase any other lenses. A few minutes ago I was convinced the D60 was for me "over" the D40. But I might have read too many reviews because I came upon this review and now I am having second thoughts. I was hoping to get some input on this review I just read. Thanx!!!

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The Nikon D60 is a "sucker" camera sold mostly to people who are not professional photographers, but who are impressed by meaningless megapixels. Megapixels have nothing to do with picture quality. The less expensive D40 is the same thing as the D60, but better. The D40 is the professional's vacation camera. It's what I take when I'm on vacation or with family, too. [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The D60 exists to allow Nikon to sell a camera in the $750 price range to less experienced people who feel better spending $750 on a camera than spending $470 on the superior D40. If you're smart enough to be researching cameras from people like me who are here to help you instead of trying to sell you an expensive camera, just get the D40. [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]If you want to spend $750, get a D40 and more lenses or flash. For instance, for sports, get a D40 and the excellent 70-300mm VR, or get the less expensive, and also excellent, 55-200mm VR for general telephoto use. [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I wouldn't buy a D60 or a D40x. I would buy, and actually did buy, the superior and least expensive D40, which today sells for only about $470 complete with an absolutely excellent non-VR lens. The least expensive D40 has twice the sensitivity to light (ISO 200 base vs. ISO 100 base) and over twice the flash sync speed (1/500 vs. 1/200). The other features, like pixels and dust reduction, are just fluff. I've never had a dirt problem with my D40, and I change lenses a lot and have made 25,000 shots on my D40. [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Pixels are a pain. Do you know that I own a $5,000 D3, and usually shoot it set down to 6 MP, not its native 12 MP? [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]If you have $1,000 you may want to look at the D80 if it's going to be your only camera, but honestly, I use cameras all day, every day, and when I go on vacation, I prefer my D40, not the D80.[/FONT]
Camera : Nikon D40

Comments

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    That review came from Ken Rockwell and people hate or like his opinions. I agree with him on this one. Get the D40 or D80-D90. You will get better pictures by spending the money on a D40 and then the Sb-400 speedlight.
  • jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    I'm a Canon man myself but I've always liked the D40 a lot and I agree with Rockwell on this one as well, there aren't many things that you will need more than 6mp for and the D40 is a very nice, easy to use camera that will let you grow into the SLR format. The D80/D90 would also be a nice choice if they are in your price range because they offer a few more features but overall the D40 is a pretty good bang for your buck!
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge
  • BrascoleBrascole Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Get the D40x. It is that much more camera. They are hard to find new but I have seen some at reliable online stores. Nikon comes out with all these great cameras, D3, 300, and 700, then puts out a model with few functions. Now if you can swing the D90 that would be a good choice. Body only $999. The kit lens looks to be a good walk around, $1299. Check out widows live search they have a cash back offer with many companies, JR, Ritz, Adorama with JR giving a 15% rebate.

Some will say Video is not necessary but I have read some articles by Nikon reviewers and all have agreed that it adds another demension to a photographer. That's just my opinion.

Good Luck
  • click3click3 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 1, 2008
    D40 is a nice camera! Really!
    I read his review and agree with him now that I own a D40. I use a D300 and a D200 backup for a lot of my photography but I get tired of the weight to lug around at times. So I thought I would try the D40. I really enjoy using the camera. It is very light weight for everday use and the kit lens is not bad. I purchased the 55-200 VR to go along with it and now I have a system that is easy on the muscles. Depending on how large you plan to print you should be happy with the camera. clap.gif I will still use my D300 and D200 but I would not hesitate to purchase the D40 again.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited September 1, 2008
    click3 wrote:
    I read his review and agree with him now that I own a D40. I use a D300 and a D200 backup for a lot of my photography but I get tired of the weight to lug around at times. So I thought I would try the D40. I really enjoy using the camera. It is very light weight for everday use and the kit lens is not bad. I purchased the 55-200 VR to go along with it and now I have a system that is easy on the muscles. Depending on how large you plan to print you should be happy with the camera. clap.gif I will still use my D300 and D200 but I would not hesitate to purchase the D40 again.

Click3, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for your thoughts.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    What to you want to accomplish with your photography? Do you aspire to shoot professionally? What is your budget??

A really good camera is the D70....many a person used them before going to the D200.....and there are still people looking for used ones to have them turned into IR cams......

I would suggest a D70 or D70X because it uses CF cards (I hate the size of SD cards for m MP3 player and I will be in a world of hurt of they stop making dslr's to accept them as I have 6 - 8gb and 2 -2gb cards now) ..... and then a move up to a D300 when the time is right.....or if you can afford the D300 / kit lens....go for it and grow with it.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Mike LeBlancMike LeBlanc Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    What to you want to accomplish with your photography? Do you aspire to shoot professionally? What is your budget??

A really good camera is the D70.............

Well I woud like to just have fun right now & see where it takes me. I would like to be able to enter the DGrin challenges and have some control over my shots, which I don't have allot of with my S3 IS. I think right now I would prefer to just go with the D40 because allot of people say its a fun camera, until I figure out where I am going with my photography. I'm still unclear though as to whether I should go with the D40x or just stick to what the majority has suggested in the D40. headscratch.gif
    edited September 1, 2008
    If you like to spend money, get the D40x. If you want better pictures, get the D40 and better glass.
  • RockHead-MARockHead-MA Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Rockwell sold me on the D40 too. I've been shooting with it since late June, following his setup & use advice. I have been more than happy with the results. I have the kit lens and 70-300 VR. Ordered it through his link to Amazon, the cheapest deal I could find at the time.

See for yourself, particularly this gallery shot the first few days with the gear. All straight from the camera, no post-processing whatsoever. I'm rusty on composition and lighting, but having a blast... Note, others shot all the sailing photos (and they're not edited), I just handed the camera over, set up (I'm in them).

I've been ordering prints from AdoramaPix.com (also based on his recommendation), on the metallic paper, up to 11 x 17, and have been impressed with what I get back. A bit less so with prints from SmugMug, to be honest.

The thing he said that really struck me was something about it being the eye and mind of the photographer, not the hardware... Sounded like something the art teachers used to say!

I was impressed enough with the results I got right out of the box based on Rockwell's advice, that I sent him a few bucks. I hardly touched an SLR of any sort in probably 10+ years. Played with a D70 a bit last summer and thought about buying a used one, but the D40 is SO much lighter and easier to carry. Plus it's cheaper & has a warranty!
    My SmugMug
    Nikon D40, 18-55, 70-300
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited September 1, 2008
    Rockwell sold me on the D40 too. I've been shooting with it since late June, following his setup & use advice. I have been more than happy with the results. I have the kit lens and 70-300 VR. Ordered it through his link to Amazon, the cheapest deal I could find at the time.

See for yourself, particularly this gallery shot the first few days with the gear. All straight from the camera, no post-processing whatsoever. I'm rusty on composition and lighting, but having a blast... Note, others shot all the sailing photos (and they're not edited), I just handed the camera over, set up (I'm in them).

I've been ordering prints from AdoramaPix.com (also based on his recommendation), on the metallic paper, up to 11 x 17, and have been impressed with what I get back. A bit less so with prints from SmugMug, to be honest.

The thing he said that really struck me was something about it being the eye and mind of the photographer, not the hardware... Sounded like something the art teachers used to say!

I was impressed enough with the results I got right out of the box based on Rockwell's advice, that I sent him a few bucks. I hardly touched an SLR of any sort in probably 10+ years. Played with a D70 a bit last summer and thought about buying a used one, but the D40 is SO much lighter and easier to carry. Plus it's cheaper & has a warranty!

RockHead-MA, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for the comments.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    I shoot Canon myself; but there is a couple in my local camera club that shoot Nikon. She wanted something lighter in weight than he had as she moved to DSLR. I thought it was the D40 that she got and then they discovered that some of the lenses that they wanted to share wouldn't focus on it and even MORE important WOULD NOT METER on hers.

Using Canon I did not expect this as I can even use an adaptor for old screw mount (M42) lenses that I already had for an earlier film camera and still meter by using aperature priority. I DO have to focus manually.

Jane B.
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Well, the N50 (film) and D50 I have, I bought new. The two N90s's (film) I have, and the D1h, I bought used this year. Used cameras can be a good deal as well, so don't rule them out. I took this tonight with the D1h and the used 85mm f1.8, no flash :D Manual lenses do meter with a D1h.

left.jpg
  • Mike LeBlancMike LeBlanc Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    well thank you "ALL" for the help. I just walked in the door with my "NEW" Nikon D40. clap.gif
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    cheech4487 wrote:
    well thank you "ALL" for the help. I just walked in the door with my "NEW" Nikon D40. clap.gif
    :ivar:ivar:ivar:ivar:ivar:ivar

Woo hoo.. nothing in the house is safe tonight! :D

Have fun with the camera!
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    Okay, I call :bigbs on the 1/500 sync speed Rockwell mentions in his quote. I don't think any consumer camera is above 1/250th.
    edited September 9, 2008
    bobcool wrote:
    Okay, I call :bigbs on the 1/500 sync speed Rockwell mentions in his quote. I don't think any consumer camera is above 1/250th.

A simple search reveals the sync speed to be correct. My D50 also has sync speed of 1/500.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Nikon-D40-Digital-SLR
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    A simple search reveals the sync speed to be correct. My D50 also has sync speed of 1/500.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Nikon-D40-Digital-SLR

Wow, I stand corrected - I didn't know of any consumer/prosumer dSLR that had a native 1/500 sync speed. Wait a minute - now I know why the D40/D50 have a 1/500 sync speed - they have an electronic shutter vs. the mechanical shutter of the D60/D80 and above. Wow, you learn something new every day in this forum...