Canon 40D Err 99

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited September 11, 2008 in Cameras
I was visiting friends this weekend in Kennewick, WA when my lovely camera went kaput. I was out capturing kids in the backyard when the shutter made an odd noise and the Err 99 came up. (The last shot it took before this looks kinda like the end of a film roll, with a narrow strip on the right side of the pic way overexposed in comparison to the rest.) I turned it off, took out the battery, tried again and it worked for a couple more shots then stopped again. I gave it a rest for about 1/2 an hour and picked it up and it was working again. We went out on a great hike and I was able to get about 20 more shots before it quit again. :cry I tried removing the battery, the CF card (SanDisk Extreme III 4 gb) and the lens (17-55 2.8 IS) to no avail. I missed soooo many shots on the remainder of our hike. It just made me sick to my stomach.

I got home tonight and updated the firmware from 1.0.5 to 1.0.8...still won't work. I tried a different lens (50 1.4)...the shutter sounded more normal (not as if it got stuck mid-way) but still got Err 99. I've lightly wiped off the contacts as best as I know how and nothing is working. I think it only has about 13,000 clicks, but it sure sounds like the shutter isn't firing properly. I've had it since December, so it's still under warranty. If there is anything else I can try before figuring out where to send it, I'd love to hear. I'm trying not to have a panic attack at the thought of being without it for a bit. It's interesting to realize how my camera has become such a part of my life now!

Thanks for reading of my woes.
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Sounds like the camera needs a shutter transplant, you should send it in for servicing.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Heard of similar problems from some folks down here. Pyry is right - required a new shutter assembly. Hope your cam is still under warranty :cry
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    I've only had my camera since Dec, so it's still under warranty. thumb.gif
    Elaine

• KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Sounds like the camera needs a shutter transplant, you should send it in for servicing.
    Canon's support is fantastic -- call them: 800-652-2666 (took it right off my cellphone just now). They may well end up RMA'ing you, but I think this is the way to go about it.
    edited September 2, 2008
    Update...I called Canon this morning and the rep walked me through removing both batteries and resetting it...still no workie. So, I got the address for the Irvine, CA repair center and it will get shipped off today. I hope they're quick! Soccer season is upon us and I'm supposed to be shooting my son's games!
    Elaine

edited September 3, 2008
    Does anyone have any idea how long repairs "typically" take out of Canon in Irvine, CA?
    Elaine

• CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Does anyone have any idea how long repairs "typically" take out of Canon in Irvine, CA?

Typically 1-2 days. So with shipping you may be out a week or so?
    edited September 4, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    Typically 1-2 days. So with shipping you may be out a week or so?

Oh my goodness..really? I hope it can be that fast. I was imagining weeks and weeks!
    Elaine

edited September 11, 2008
    update
    I got my camera back today! wings.gif

I sent it out on Sept 2 and got it back Sept 11. Not nearly as bad as I'd first imagined!

The Service Details report said:

We have examined the product according to your request, and it was found that the shutter unit was inoperative causing an error to be displayed. The shutter unit was replaced. Other electrical adjustments and inspection and cleaning were carried out.

I just clicked the shutter...music to my ears. thumb.gif Now I get to spend some time resetting my custom functions, etc...
    Elaine

• pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    Elaine wrote:
    I got my camera back today! wings.gif

I just clicked the shutter...music to my ears. thumb.gif Now I get to spend some time resetting my custom functions, etc...

And shooting stuff :D

Glad to hear you've got it back!
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    Congratulations Elaine. clap.gif

Enjoy.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums