Canon 50D ISO6400 (and below) HiRes Samples

Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
edited September 10, 2008 in Cameras
“To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
― Edward Weston

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Thanks! Very interesting. I'm not sure that I am overwhelmed with the liveliness of these images but noise appears under control. One worry that I had about the 50D was that high ISO noise would be camouflaged by software to the detriment of other image qualities. Hard to know what effect the new sensor architecture is having since that cannot be isolated from such in-camera software processing.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Looks pretty good so far. I'm eagerly awaiting how the various tests will come up.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Would definitely like to see some more, but it looks promising.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Truth be told, I dunno HOW they're going to manage ISO 12800 if 6400 looks like that. The shadows are a joke.

Having said that, it's not like we can expect the shadows of an ISO 6400 image from an APS-C sensor to be like a D3 / 5D mk2... I know where my D300's limits are, and I don't shoot anything I can't deliver!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Truth be told, I dunno HOW they're going to manage ISO 12800 if 6400 looks like that. The shadows are a joke.

I don't know what you expected but it looks pretty darn good for a 15MP
    file. The hot pixels hint that no NR was applied. Something that cannot be
    said about some other cameras you mentioned.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • SteelafanSteelafan Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    I just want to se the test results and detailed camera specs. Want to know if its more powerful than the 5D.ne_nau.gif
    :patch Searching for that one shot that counts. The never ending quest to make people say "wow".:huh

http://asphotoworks.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited September 2, 2008
    Steelafan wrote:
    ... Want to know if its more powerful than the 5D.ne_nau.gif

What criteria would you use to define "powerful"?

The Canon 50D, as compared to the Canon 5D, has:

More pixels.
    Faster image processor.
    More recent image processor (capable of 14 bit image processing, etc.).
    Faster and deeper image buffer.
    Higher data rate.
    Faster flushing to storage card.
    More modes of operation.

It will also cost less than the 5D.

Then again, the 50D is not, and never will be, a full-frame digital camera with the benefits of a full-frame camera.

Comparing between the 2 formats is difficult but then factor in the (probably) better shutter of the 5D and the results just aren't directly comparable.

These are 2 different classes of cameras.

Just wait 'till you see the 5D replacement! thumb.gifclap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • mountainhousemountainhouse Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    BTW, this mentions all the shots on dpreview are from a pre-production camera. So I guess things may still change.

"We've just been informed by Canon that, contrary to our previous understanding, the camera we used for the initial samples gallery is still pre-production, not final. We've updated the news story for the samples gallery to reflect this."
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    Some ISO12800 samples (resized and 100% crops) can be seen on this site:
    http://www.pikoblog.com/photoinfo

ISO12800 looks very noisy, but with some NR and resizeing should be quite
    usable for news, web and smaller prints - imho of course :)
    ― Edward Weston
  • photonphoton Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    More samples
    Here are some more samples from the Canon site... 3200 looks really good, to my unlearned eyes, and 1600 looks distinctly creamy! wings.gif

ISO 12800 shows a lot of banding and noise, but as people say if you get the shot that others don't get...

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=564297
    photon
  • nobodynobody Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    I looked at those samples also. My feeling is that noise only becomes a significant issue above ISO 3200. At 3200, and below there is little difference between the samples. My only real point of reference is the XTi. With it, my feeling is that noise is significant, but not an image-killer, above ISO 400. At any rate, I am looking forward to picking up one of those new 50D's sometime next spring or summer. When those hit the market, we will start to see a lot more great shots of nightime football games and such.