Possible P&S problem

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited September 2, 2008 in Cameras
Since I posted vehemently against my Canon Elph SD750 in the recent P&S thread, I feel I ought to at least to give it the benefit of the doubt and ask: is it possible I have a bad copy, and how would I tell?

The only truly sharp pictures it has ever given me were with flash (and even those weren't as pin sharp as any of my previous P&S cameras); they have all been less than crisp. They don't look like camera shake (although it's possible, I suppose), but just like it's been taken through something. Almost sharp, but not quite. In addition to the continuing problems with that, it now is regularly suffering significant shutter delay when I go to shoot -even with a full battery in good light.

Suggestions on how I can try and diagnose it to see whether it's worth taking it in for repair and/or replacement? I love the size of it, but it's just not reliable and, in comparison to my previous P&S, a Powershot A75, it's been a huge disapointment. When I use the little camera - which lives in my purse for those "omg I wish I had a camera!!" moments, I don't really want to have to think about whether it's going to *work* or not, I just want to ... er... point and shoot :)

Tx in advance for any pointers!

Here's one that's typical of what I'm talking about. Bright (if ugly and contrasty) light, but... really soft at full size.

(Exif info: Canon SD750 1/250s, 12.1mm f4.0 ISO 80)

IMG_0665.JPG?imgmax=640

Comments

• Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Bad camera
    divamum wrote:
    Here's one that's typical of what I'm talking about. Bright (if ugly and contrasty) light, but... really soft at full size.
    J: If this is typical, then it looks defective to me.

H: Exchange it or send it in for repair.

Good luck,
    J&H
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    J: If this is typical, then it looks defective to me.

H: Exchange it or send it in for repair.

Good luck,
    J&H

Thanks. Glad to have a second opinion and that it is NOT only to my eyes that it lookks like poor image quality. This is one of the average-to-better shots with it; some are softer than this...

Thanks for the response (and anybody else who cares to wade in, please feel free!)
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Since I shoot raw in both dslr and p/s.....I am not sure that they are to be pin point sharp right out of camera....what happens if you run thru Photoshop unsharp mask.....the normal p/s'er this might be very acceptable......we at dgrin seem to demand more of our equiptment than most.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    I took it in for repair/service/whatever today (the only advantage to having bought from BB) - we'll see whether it makes any difference!

Btw, re unsharp mask, yes I can sharpen them up a bit, but really - still not thata great.

Thanks for the responses!