Options

Too much Red Hue with a 5D Canon...

BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
edited September 2, 2008 in Technique
Hello... suddenly I don't know what is happening! I am getting too much red hue (Utah...) and also too much blue hue on for example gray cement or roads...
I use the "K" setting, generally at 5200, more if shady. I do have a 18% gray cardboard to set "WB". I did. Actually wondering if I did it right as the cardboard was in plain sunlight... figuring that is I did it in shadow it would be more than 18%... Or maybe that is the solution?
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you...
Be well. Ara
The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
My Gallery in progress...
On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited September 1, 2008
    If you are going to set a custom white balance, put the card so it is lit by the light that is lighting the subject. Sounds like you may have set a custom white balance incorrectly for some reason.

Or just set your camera to sun, cloudy, shade or whatever seems correct given the available lighting.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    OK. That makes sense and setting custome WB will not be the good way for me to go as being on the road my light changes by the hour...
    The 5D does not have those cloudy, etc... settings as I also shoot totally on manual. So I am down to using AWB which i don't care for or "K" setting which also gives me the "too much" blue or red hue...
    I'll keep searching... Thanks.
    Be well. Ara
    The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
    My Gallery in progress...
    On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    BeemerChef wrote:
    OK. That makes sense and setting custome WB will not be the good way for me to go as being on the road my light changes by the hour...
    The 5D does not have those cloudy, etc... settings as I also shoot totally on manual. So I am down to using AWB which i don't care for or "K" setting which also gives me the "too much" blue or red hue...
    I'll keep searching... Thanks.
    Be well. Ara

I'm pretty sure all of the WB settings are available in manual mode. They should be there even if you shoot raw.

The K setting is a completely manual WB, you set that to whatever you need through the menus, if you use an image of a grey card, that works with the custom setting.

I find that the automatic WB works well except for incandescent or fluorescent light, for which custom or K work better.

If you can shoot raw, that will let you reset the WB in post freely.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited September 2, 2008
    My Canon 5D certainly has the various white balance choices - right there on the upper LCD window on the left side, accessed via the AF_WB left most button on the top of the camera and chosen by the large wheel.

Set it to AFB if you are shooting RAW will work fine most of the time. If you include a white balance tool, gray card, WhiBal, etc in the image you can use these later in RAW for your final color balancing.

Custom white balance works very well, but must be renewed, re-done each time the light changes.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin