Options

HeatherFeather a wedding you should try and get

bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
edited September 3, 2008 in Weddings
After the recent announcement of the VP candidate Sarah Palin, (the Alaska Governor, and a former mayor of Wasilla [I have about 6 family members there, visited in summer 06]) and the recent announcement of that her 17yr old daughter is pregnant, is keeping it, and plans to marry the father.

Have you have a visit from Ms Palin?
"A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me

Comments

• Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    bham wrote:
    After the recent announcement of the VP candidate Sarah Palin, (the Alaska Governor, and a former mayor of Wasilla [I have about 6 family members there, visited in summer 06]) and the recent announcement of that her 17yr old daughter is pregnant, is keeping it, and plans to marry the father.

And do you need backup cameras? :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    I wonder if Billy Idol is available?
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    bham wrote:

rolleyes1.gif
    Now wouldn't that be sweet! I bet I am way to small potatoes now.
    But if I do, of course I'd let everyone else know. Feel free to come and lend a helping hand- or CF card. Whatever the situation may call for. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    rolleyes1.gif
    Now wouldn't that be sweet! I bet I am way to small potatoes now.
    But if I do, of course I'd let everyone else know. Feel free to come and lend a helping hand- or CF card. Whatever the situation may call for. iloveyou.gif
    In a previous post you indicated you were friends with her assistant - sounds like you could use that for an "IN". In addition, you are both from Wassila - that's gotta count for something. But, the topper is your work. If you can get the interview, your work will do the selling - hands down!
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    In a previous post you indicated you were friends with her assistant - sounds like you could use that for an "IN". In addition, you are both from Wassila - that's gotta count for something. But, the topper is your work. If you can get the interview, your work will do the selling - hands down!

Geez Scott. Sounds pretty nice coming from you...
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Assistant

yeah...and I bet you could have as many 2nd shooters and assistants that you need. Who wouldn't want those images in their portfolio? (hint hint). Some of us have even been to Wasilla before.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    You give me too much credit. But....
    ChatKat wrote:
    yeah...and I bet you could have as many 2nd shooters and assistants that you need. Who wouldn't want those images in their portfolio? (hint hint). Some of us have even been to Wasilla before.
    oooh! ooooh! oooooh! (think Hawshack!) Pick ME! - I have family living in Eagle River. And, I went to high school in Anchorage. That's gotta count for something. And, I want to move back to that area!! Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't have said that last part:D
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    You give me too much credit. But....

oooh! ooooh! oooooh! (think Hawshack!) Pick ME! - I have family living in Eagle River. And, I went to high school in Anchorage. That's gotta count for something. And, I want to move back to that area!! Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't have said that last part:D

Yep. I only want to go for a visit. Loved playing with those Iditerod puppies in Wasilla. My cruiseship broke down and had to be towed by the coast guard and I missed out on the trip to Denali because of it or we would miss our non-refundable flights back home in 2006
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Maybe this is a good chance for a dgrin shootout in Alaska... rolleyes1.gif Featuring amazing landscapes, wildlife that's truly wild, and the wedding with more photographers than any other Alaskan wedding in history... :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    oooh! ooooh! oooooh! (think Hawshack!) Pick ME!
    -

Nah, I am thinking Donkey (Shrek)

And I'm thinking you all are just dying to get up here and visit. I am afraid that despite my winning personality, it might be something else drawing you. But whatever...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    And then Kathy could come and do her biz classes up here! Sounds better all the time!
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    Heather..
    And then Kathy could come and do her biz classes up here! Sounds better all the time!

Not only would I give a business class in Wasilla or maybe we can do it at the Talkeetna Inn with the view of the mountain in the background (haha) on a clear day or even at Lake Lucille. You can have a private lesson!
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    Not only would I give a business class in Wasilla or maybe we can do it at the Talkeetna Inn with the view of the mountain in the background (haha) on a clear day or even at Lake Lucille. You can have a private lesson!

or how about my basement... er... em... I mean studio!

Come on Kathy!
    296291334_YenFZ-L.jpg (for one of Nik's, I mean Steve's, assignments)
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    Just get the wedding!
    How's this? You get the wedding and I will come up for a visit to help carry your bags and teach you the business side- your basement would work just fine!
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008

-

Nah, I am thinking Donkey (Shrek)

And I'm thinking you all are just dying to get up here and visit. I am afraid that despite my winning personality, it might be something else drawing you. But whatever...ne_nau.gif
    Seriously, I would make the trip for the chance to help shoot that wedding. Granted, I would extend my visit to be with my family there, but the shoot would be major draw for that trip.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    thumb.gif stalk her!!!....get the gig!!!thumb.gif

Laughing.gif we could all come second shoot. How many photogs show up with a dozen assistants?
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    thumb.gif stalk her!!!....get the gig!!!thumb.gif

Laughing.gif we could all come second shoot. How many photogs show up with a dozen assistants?
    We could all fly into Seattle/Tacoma and hire a plane from there - might be cheaper than "normal" airline transport.

And, with all those assistants helping to capture every little thing - can you imagine the image count. To use a term I first saw on Luminous Landscapes - that would be some serious giggage!
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Well, since you most likely will have to stop in Mpls on the way, I'll hop on too....we could take the boat ride out of Seattle for landscapes on the way up.....GIGGAGE...whooooooooooohoooooooooooo! Shoot that bride all to **** and back.rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    Well, just loop around and pick ,me up in Baton Rouge. We are a third world nation right now. Food, water, fuel, and electricity are scarce. You can all help me clean up the debris from my yard and then we can go.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    You guys are cracking me up!
    Come on up! Bring your giggage!

But, seriously, I betcha I won't get it.
    If all of you are willing to lay down a chunk of change to come up here and photograph this wedding, (probono, it sounds like) just think how many other photographers would be willing? And just think, Sarah could have ANY photographer, pretty much, in the entire country. What an honor it would be to be chosen. Lets all pause and take a moment to dream it was us... OK back to reality...

Don't get me wrong, I am still trying. I have emails out there feeling things out, but I bet you it is a long shot.
    My guess is that to protect the daughter, even if I did get it, I would most likely have to have a media black-out and not even be able to share anything online with you all. (If I was Sarah, thats what I'd do.)

But it sure would be a fun thought to have all of you at my front door with gear in hand. Some of the worlds greatest photographers as my second camera!? HYEAH! That would be fun and schweeet!

Jeff, did the hurricane get you guys pretty badly?
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008

Well...if ya get it you can still pm us a password to see the proofsmwink.gif

Did we "get it bad" is realative I guess. We are, so far, not experiencing the mayhem that was Katrina. Our Bobby Jindal(Gov) seems a near carbon copy of your governor's platform. Straight forward, common sense, cut the BS type guy....and very very intellegent....he seems to be doing a better job than Blanco as far as hurricane preparedness is concerned. It is pretty bad though. I worked overtime last weekend at the chemical plant/refinery for storm prep. We worked some 24 hour shifts during the storm...so my family was without me when it hit. We had to do a complex- wide shut down during the heigth of the storm (100mph gusts....50-60mph sustained winds). That was pretty scary...out there trying to safely shut a plant down whilst crap was flying all around us, but we got it done. I was shocked to have power back in less than 12 hours. We are an island of electricity on my street! Lucky. Blessed. Most of Baton Rouge is without power. This makes it tough (no a/c) to get things like gasoline and groceries. Many run generators, but it is hard to get the gas to run them. People get anxious easily. We do not usually get hit this hard in Baton Rouge. Again, cannot compare this storm to Katrina, but it is the worst hit that Baton Rouge has taken in my lifetime. Worse even than hurricane Betsy for those that remember that storm. THe parish(county) where my oldest daughter attends college has zero power. A 100% outtage. We are not sure when they will resume school. It is near the coast, and they are saying 3 to 4 weeks before power can be restored. 2-3 weeks here in Baton Rouge for everyone else.

All that to say...YES...we got our $ss*[EMAIL="a@s"]s[/EMAIL] kicked by Gustov....but we are thankful as it could have been much much worse.

Your thoughts and prayers are appreciated.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Well, just loop around and pick ,me up in Baton Rouge. We are a third world nation right now. Food, water, fuel, and electricity are scarce. You can all help me clean up the debris from my yard and then we can go.
    I was wondering how you were getting on. Since I've seen you post a couple of times in the last day or so I wasn't too concerned though.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008

If all of you are willing to lay down a chunk of change to come up here and photograph this wedding, (probono, it sounds like) just think how many other photographers would be willing? And just think, Sarah could have ANY photographer, pretty much, in the entire country. What an honor it would be to be chosen. Lets all pause and take a moment to dream it was us... OK back to reality...

Don't get me wrong, I am still trying. I have emails out there feeling things out, but I bet you it is a long shot.
    My guess is that to protect the daughter, even if I did get it, I would most likely have to have a media black-out and not even be able to share anything online with you all. (If I was Sarah, thats what I'd do.)

But it sure would be a fun thought to have all of you at my front door with gear in hand. Some of the worlds greatest photographers as my second camera!? HYEAH! That would be fun and schweeet!

If you can get the job (I still think you have an advantage over a lot of other folks) and they are willing to let others in to "help", I would be more than happy to fly up there on my nickel, work for food, bunk down where I could, and sign an NDA (as long as there was a termination date on the NDA or some other way to include some of the photos in a portfolio). Yup, I'd be all over that like white on rice!
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    100mph gusts....50-60mph sustained winds). That was pretty scary...out there trying to safely shut a plant down whilst crap was flying all around us, but we got it done.

Oh that stinks- I have been in wind up to 60 mph, and that was a pain in the patooshki, but it was also winter and below zero so that added to the joy. You have to hang on to your kids, let me tell you. Semi-trailors get blown over, 4 x 4 posts from fences broken... And we are supposed to be prepared up here. Laughing.gif... We all consider it is God's redistribution of wealth... We once got a trampoline that way.

I am so thankful that you and your family are all safe, and yes our prayers are with you.
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited September 3, 2008
    HEATHER!!!! Why didn't you invite me in and show this off!
    Now I have just broke the 10th commandment girl!!!...lol:D

All kidding aside...if you get the palin wedding I would consider coming out of wedding photography retirement and shoot for fun with you!! I am cheap!mwink.gif and you wont have to put me up for the night.rolleyes1.gif
    or how about my basement... er... em... I mean studio!

296291334_YenFZ-L.jpg (for one of Nik's, I mean Steve's, assignments)
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    Now I have just broke the 10th commandment girl!!!...lol:D

All kidding aside...if you get the palin wedding I would consider coming out of wedding photography retirement and shoot for fun with you!! I am cheap!mwink.gif and you wont have to put me up for the night.rolleyes1.gif

Now Joyce... I have to confess... I don't really have a room full of chocolate. Just think of all that wasted jealousy.

Come on over, neighbor! (Just let me get this laundry folded and moose hunting gear out of here first, OK?)
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008

I am rooting for you and I know Sara Palin would use someone local in her town...but not sure about her daughter and Levi is willing. Maybe a few well placed emails are in order? Anyone know Levi's last name? I knew a Levi once when we first moved up here, when I was a scout leader...but I think he is closer to 20 years old now. Maybe there is another parent to hit up on this too....the name and face is familiar but you know me....I am horrible with placing names and faces. After all...you remembered me first!:D
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    Now Joyce... I have to confess... I don't really have a room full of chocolate. Just think of all that wasted jealousy.

Come on over, neighbor! (Just let me get this laundry folded and moose hunting gear out of here first, OK?)

you going hunting or just finished up??? this will be the first year hubby wont be going...he is taking me to the Caribbean instead!wings.gif
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    you going hunting or just finished up??? this will be the first year hubby wont be going...he is taking me to the Caribbean instead!wings.gif

Mason is going tomorrow. Hopefully he gets one- we are all out of salmon!

I did read Levi's last name somewhere. It is Johnston and his mom is Sheri.