Options

Just one gripe...

scathewscathew Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited September 2, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I'm a new SmugMug Power user and I have just one gripe (sorry to start it off that way, but it's kind of important to me):

I really don't like the way "Largest size" for downloads are set up.

Now I may well be missing something (please correct me), but if you want to make your images "Public" (per "Privacy") and yet limit the download size to a size that truly is difficult to re-use, you pretty much have to get a "Pro" account from what can I see (and even "Medium" isn't all that small).

First, "Protected" is just a hack that any competent thief can get around, so I'm not going to count that. Second "XLarge" is pretty dang large. Sure, not so large it can necessarily be used for great prints or fronts of magazines, but plenty large for probably the biggest set of theives on the web - people looking for images/backgrounds to use on their web sites.

Frankly in the galleries I want to use for "public" display (ie: to show off my "portfolio" as it were), the "SmugMug" setting for "Gallery style"'s picture to the right of the thumbs is just about as large as I want to give most public people access to (friends/family is another thing, but that's not my "portfolio" as it were). So in that case I'd be happy to have the option to shut off downloading any additionally sized image (ie: just don't give the "Photo sizes" popup to download period). Alternatively I'd like to limit it to 640x400 or something.

I totally understand the other "Pro" differences, but I think every Joe or Jane regardless of how advanced or amateur they are ought to have the right to make their image "public" and at the same time protect the maximum download size to something pretty small. Everyone deserves to have their rights protected.

As it is I'm unfortunately back to where I was with other services - I have to make sure I upload small images so that they can't be stolen. Just seems like a waste to me.

That aside it looks like a nice service and I'm glad I signed up. It just makes my life harder than I think it really needs to be.

Thanks.

Comments