Question about 50mm autofocus

Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited September 7, 2008 in Cameras
Houston, I think we have a problem!

I have been using my 50 f/1.4 lately and been wondering forever, why does it take so long to focus? Do I need to get my readjusted?

On Sunday night, I put on my prime and I was in a fairly lit area, but when I tried to focus and lock onto a stationary subject, or moving for that matter, it took a long while. Giving up, I went to manual focus instead.

The reviews said it is a fast tracker, but lately it has been anything but. It hasn't gotten abused or anything! :dunno
Food & Culture.
www.tednghiem.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited September 2, 2008
    Houston, I think we have a problem!

I have been using my 50 f/1.4 lately and been wondering forever, why does it take so long to focus? Do I need to get my readjusted?

On Sunday night, I put on my prime and I was in a fairly lit area, but when I tried to focus and lock onto a stationary subject, or moving for that matter, it took a long while. Giving up, I went to manual focus instead.

The reviews said it is a fast tracker, but lately it has been anything but. It hasn't gotten abused or anything! ne_nau.gif

Is it possible to see some examples with EXIF?

One thing I noticed with my copy is that if the scene has some spectral highlights in the background, the focus gets confused. Manual focus with confirmation works fine in that situation.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    I'll have to post them a little bit later, as I haven't started processing the photos from Sunday night. I had my camera set on manual, one shot mode, and ISO at 800. That is all that I remember.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Don't forget to check your auto focus mode. Sounds like it you may be on continuous.
    edited September 2, 2008
    I was on one shot single shot mode. ne_nau.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    No, I was referring to your auto focus mode. For example, my d300 can shoot in manual focus, single, or continuous (constant?) focus. When shooting in the latter (it's a switch on the front of the camera) the camera will refocus every time you move the camera.

Hope this helps.

Jake
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Assuming proper technique, I'd say the AF is off.
    Are you finding this in other settings as well or just one instance/situation?
    edited September 5, 2008
    Well here is one. I stayed steady and there was ample light, my 24-70 had no problems AF (then again that is an L.) and it took me forever to lock on.
    I think at this point I went to MF instead...
    366318916_ez8nY-L.jpg

exif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    EXIF link doesn't show any.
    If the shot was in MF this may not help.
    A shot with AF point used and the exif would help.
    The scene looks bright and contrasty enough for AF to work though IMO.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    I haven't had any trouble with my 50/1.4. It is maybe a touch slower than my newer lenses, but not so much that its a problem.

There is one problem I have with all my primes and that is at f/2 and ISO 1600 the room is dark enough that the AF system can have trouble finding something to lock on to. That is a camera problem rather than a lens problem; if I had a 1-series body it would likely not be as much of an issue.
    edited September 5, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    EXIF link doesn't show any.
    If the shot was in MF this may not help.
    A shot with AF point used and the exif would help.
    The scene looks bright and contrasty enough for AF to work though IMO.

That's what I would think too, but it really had a hard time to focus. I just probably ended up using manual, to just get the idea of the lighting.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited September 5, 2008
    Well here is one. I stayed steady and there was ample light, my 24-70 had no problems AF (then again that is an L.) and it took me forever to lock on.
    I think at this point I went to MF instead...
    366318916_ez8nY-L.jpg

exif
    The highlights in this image are in the background, so I can see why you had the focus hunting. While a great lens for color and sharpness, the 50 is not known to be a fast focusing tool. However, speed aside, if it's hunting excessively, it could have an issue, especially if your other lens is fine.
    ne_nau.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited September 6, 2008
    :cry

I don't expect it to be blazing fast like my other lenses, but for a minute or so? Come on!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited September 6, 2008
    :cry

I don't expect it to be blazing fast like my other lenses, but for a minute or so? Come on!
    Yeah, well, I hate to say it, but Canon Service might be the way to go. It's a valuable enough lens to make a service worthwhile. Do you have a reputable Canon dealer around? That would be a good first stop to make. Some shops are better than others are listening to a problem and backing up a Canon warranty.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited September 7, 2008
    I guess it's time for me to go visit a Canon repair place. I think there is one in NJ.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com