Options

Art for arts sake

Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
edited April 29, 2005 in Landscapes
Hello all,

I was looking at Dee's post from yesterday http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=10392 and it got me to thinking of a few similar shots I had taken. Every week painters come to the Baylands trying to capture it using a different medium than film or digital.

I am not a people/candid shooter (I usually leave that to Andy :lol3 ), but I kind of liked this one. If it doesn't do anything for you, at least you'll understand the reason why I don't do this type of shooting......lol

I "amped" this one up a bit with a touch of velvia (20%)

20640384-L.jpg

This kind of reminds me of what I'd get from my Sony 707 :D It was taken a few weeks back and I was looking to show not only the artists, but those bright yellow, sure sign of Spring, daisys that Dee also captured close up.

Thanks for looking and please let me know if you think I should stick to sports and birds.....lol

Steve
SmugMug Support Hero

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    3 countem 3 painter Butts :lol lol3.gif :lol4
    What could be wrong, nothing :D
    I'm sure it's a 1st here at least thumb.gif

excellent color, comp., exp.
    Yo, Steve shoot whatever you want I'll look and like thumb.gif

By the By what does this mean ? ne_nau.gif

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Bfr, I like your challenge entry.

Steve. I love that photo. I swear, I would steal the idea, I wonder where I could find me some painters.

You and Dee done good, and not a face in them, lol.

I think I will call the art place here that gives classes and find out where. Except I took one of those classes once, they stayed downtown, and that can be busy.

either that, or that type of shot is more difficult to take than it looks. Did you bring their hats with you? Love them. And the wildflowers, don't find them on city streets, not even in Charleston. Charleston puts them in backyard pots. That guy's long hair, great!

I love yours, Steve, and I love Dee's.

ginger (Yes, what is velvia, a plug in? what does it do? Did it bring the hats?rolleyes1.gif )
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Painter's license
    Hello all,

I was looking at Dee's post from yesterday http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=10392 and it got me to thinking of a few similar shots I had taken. Every week painters come to the Baylands trying to capture it using a different medium than film or digital.

I am not a people/candid shooter (I usually leave that to Andy lol3.gif ), but I kind of liked this one. If it doesn't do anything for you, at least you'll understand the reason why I don't do this type of shooting......lol

20640384-S.jpg

This kind of reminds me of what I'd get from my Sony 707 :D It was taken a few weeks back and I was looking to show not only the artists, but those bright yellow, sure sign of Spring, daisys that Dee also captured close up.

Thanks for looking and please let me know if you think I should stick to sports and birds.....lol

Steve

Ah shucks, dude... you did good, it's a great photo, I'm envious now!

I just want to know where that woman sees those tall mountains?
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Dee wrote:

rolleyes1.gif
    I was thinking the same thing, Dee....both about the painters artistic licence and about this being a good shot. One thought though, Steve, is what about removing a bit of sky from this? Just a thought.

ann
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Steve it is a nice image I would love to see in front of the painters so I can see why they are standing next to each other and have painted two totally different scenes that makes it seem like they aren't in the same place. Everyday I have my camera out in the city I am determined to get good people pics but I always end up with landscapes because shooting people on the street is so damn hard.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    3 countem 3 painter Butts :lol lol3.gif :lol4
    What could be wrong, nothing :D
    I'm sure it's a 1st here at least thumb.gif

excellent color, comp., exp.
    Yo, Steve shoot whatever you want I'll look and like thumb.gif

By the By what does this mean ? ne_nau.gif

Thanks Ben :D

Amped up = I applied a PS Action called Digital Velvia at a 20% opacity. It enhances the colors and makes the image look like it was taken using Velvia film. You can find this action, which includes a Provia Action at:

http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm

Thanks for looking,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Steve
    Really nice
    I love these kind shots I have done a couple also
    I am not much on doing people too
    But I am trying to get going on this

16532564-M.jpg

20689477-M.jpg

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2005
    Thanks Ginger,

I wanted to get some faces, but I didn't know how I could get the painting and the painter's faces in the same frame ne_nau.gif I'll just add these to the numerous bird butt shots I have in my portfolio lol3.gif

I'll tell you where I got the idea of shooting painters. Last year, about this time, I shot a historical hilltop landmark, in NY State, with my friend Harry. Walking around the structure (which was under repair BTW), we saw a painter capturing the view of the valley. We tried to get some shots of her painting this beautiful scene. You know, from the back so we could capture the painting and the scene she was trying to capture in oils. But by the time I got my act together, she was packing up rolleyes1.gif I think Harry got one or two shots of her. Ever since, I've been on the lookout for this opportunity to present itself again.

As far as the Velvia amp, check my response to Ben, above :D

Thanks for taking the time to respond,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2005
    Dee wrote:

rolleyes1.gif
    Thanks Dee :D

Awww, you know there are mountains there. You live on the other side of them.....lol I know, this was a good shot, but I missed the scene they were trying to capture ne_nau.gif Here's a better view of that scene.

20686249-L.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look and thanks for posting your shots which jogged my memory thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I was thinking the same thing, Dee....both about the painters artistic licence and about this being a good shot. One thought though, Steve, is what about removing a bit of sky from this? Just a thought.

ann
    Thanks Ann :D

Yep, I thought about that too. I am pretty bad at composition and cropping. I was thinking I left too much sky in that version rolleyes1.gif I went back and re-cropped.

Is this version better?

20686246-L.jpg

Thanks again for the comments,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Thanks Dee :D

Awww, you know there are mountains there. You live on the other side of them.....lol I know, this was a good shot, but I missed the scene they were trying to capture ne_nau.gif Here's a better view of that scene.

20686249-L.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look and thanks for posting your shots which jogged my memory thumb.gif

Steve
    That one is cool to me, because it looks, to me, like she is somehow reaching thru the frame with her brush ............... in other words, it looks to me like the mtns she is painting are more real than the ones she is painting. (I finally got to take my drugs.rolleyes1.gif ) But maybe it is the velvia that makes her painting look so vivid.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Hey Steve,

Really nice pic. It reminds me a little of that shot I got when we shot together

28938203.jpg
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Steve it is a nice image I would love to see in front of the painters so I can see why they are standing next to each other and have painted two totally different scenes that makes it seem like they aren't in the same place. Everyday I have my camera out in the city I am determined to get good people pics but I always end up with landscapes because shooting people on the street is so damn hard.
    Thanks 4labs :D

I agree that being able to see what they were painting would have made the shot more interesting. I also told you I'm not very good at this type of shooting.....lol I posted another "view", that shows some of what they are painting.

I'm with you as far as shooting people on the street thumb.gif It's wayyyyyyyy tougher than shooting birds or sports :lol I have the highest admiration for those candid "City Shooters" clap.gif I think we just need to do more of this kind of shooting. While practce doesn't always make perfect, it does usually result in improvement :D

Thanks for taking the time to comment,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    USAIR wrote:
    Really nice
    I love these kind shots I have done a couple also
    I am not much on doing people too
    But I am trying to get going on this

16532564-M.jpg

20689477-M.jpg

Thanks
    Fred
    Thanks Fred :D

You've got some nice ones here too. I really like the "over the shoulder" perspective on the first one. Clone out the flagpole and the second one is mint, IMO thumb.gifthumb.gif

Yep, as I mentioned to 4labs, we're just going to have to go out and do more of this kind of shooting if we want to improve our results. I need to make some time to do this, even though it will come at the expense of my bird shooting :-( Oh well, I guess Dgrin will survive with a few less egret shots lol3.gif

Thanks for commenting and for posting your "artist" shots,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    That one is cool to me, because it looks, to me, like she is somehow reaching thru the frame with her brush ............... in other words, it looks to me like the mtns she is painting are more real than the ones she is painting. (I finally got to take my drugs.rolleyes1.gif ) But maybe it is the velvia that makes her painting look so vivid.

g
    Thanks Ginger :D

Hey, you know what the teacher says? No drugs unless you brought enough for everyone :lol4

I think the Velvia Action helped some, but it was a hazy day. So you couldn't really see those mountains clearly. But, they sure showed up nicely on the canvas.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Steve,

Really nice pic. It reminds me a little of that shot I got when we shot together

28938203.jpg
    Thanks Harry :D

Yep, this is the one I mentioned in my response to Ginger (on page 1 of this thread). I sure wish she would have stayed longer so we could have gotten some shots of the canvas and the scene she was capturing rolleyes1.gif I still remember missing out on a unique photo op that day and I've been looking for easels ever since.......lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 29, 2005
    The painters are a great subject. Nice capture of the trio.

Here's a couple for you...

13975492-M.jpg

14624391-M-2.jpg

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    Ah, this is the one for me, Steve. Very nice. nod.gif

20686249-S.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    wxwax wrote:

20686249-S.jpg

I have to completely agree. The painting looks more like a window. The colors are great. I like being able to see what they are painting in the same frame as the painter. I also like the observer in the picture. of course knowing me and my fun with photoshop the water bottle would have been edited out Laughing.gif:):
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!
    edited April 29, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    The painters are a great subject. Nice capture of the trio.

Here's a couple for you...

13975492-M.jpg

14624391-M-2.jpg

ian
    Thanks Ian :D

I like your shots too. Especially, the lady with 2 paintings going on at once....lol Now that's talent mwink.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks Sid :D

A little out of my element, but I need the practice I can get, so I'll be prepared to shoot all those Dgrinners up at Yosemite clap.gif

Thanks for looking,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    T4Tots wrote:
    I have to completely agree. The painting looks more like a window. The colors are great. I like being able to see what they are painting in the same frame as the painter. I also like the observer in the picture. of course knowing me and my fun with photoshop the water bottle would have been edited out Laughing.gif:):
    Thanks T4T :D

Yeah, I thought about cloning the water bottle, but I am not very good at precise editing. I usually make pics look worse than when I started....lol So, most of my pics are pretty much as they were shot ne_nau.gif Out of my last 25,000 shots, I think I've cloned something out like maybe 10 times and I replaced an ugly gray sky with a blue one once. That's it eek7.gif I need to retire, like Harry, so I'll have the time to work on my digital darkroom skills lol3.gif

I agree about the painting looking like a window. I wish I would have noticed that when I was shooting. I could have lined up the canvas and background a little better headscratch.gif Maybe nexttime :D

Thanks for commenting,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero