Car Photos - HDR

ScraffScraff Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
edited September 10, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Thanks to DI-Joe for his recent post on how he shot his cars, I have been playing with a few different techinques to see how my shots would come out. I am planning on shooting my truck along with a new X5 but that means I have to actaully take the time to clean them. Please let me know what you think...I am pretty happy with how my first attempts turned out.
Thanks...Scott

Friend's Audi A5

362001931_PCFxU-L.jpg

Friend's A4

364169222_wpzP5-L.jpg

Brother-In-Law's Colorado

364169135_Qfbj8-L.jpg

364169137_FwGz5-L.jpg

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Really interesting, very cool, effect offered with the HDR technique.
    Love shot 1. :D
    Michael
  • DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    Scraff, you might want to smooth them out a little more, you have some lines that shouldn't be defined and it tends to "flatten" the image and takes the perceived-from-shading depth out of the image. So in photomatix, you'd click more to the right side in the smoothing options(I'm assuming you're using photomatix). Sorry I haven't been around, been really busy with work. :)

Keep practicing!!! HDR isn't easy to learn or really predict. You'll eventually find your style. Just be forewarned... some folks... HATE HDRI's no matter how awesome the pic may look or how awesome the subject is. Some folks hate it and that's cool. That's why when I shoot cars, I'll just take the middle exposure from the HDR triplet and process that one normally so they have a choice.

And most of all, don't take me or anyone else trying to help you so seriously. HDR is both an effective tool and an art... you do what you feel is beautiful. However, when you're using HDR as it's actually indended it shouldn't look otherworldly at all. Purists will tend to hammer you for going extreme with it. Just take your licks and move on... They're not wrong, but they're not right either.

Keep up the good work! :)
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876