RIP 1DMKII Shutter

crmitchecrmitche Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited September 15, 2008 in Cameras
My shutter, rest it's soul, gave up the ghost at a shoot Sunday evening. It had a little over 191K actuations. It led a very full life.

But hey! That was yesterday. This is today. Anyone have any idea what my cash outlay may be to get the shutter replaced? Is it best to go with Canon or a third party, like Precision Camera?

Cheers
Craig
http://craigm.smugmug.com/

"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do." Walt Disney

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited September 2, 2008
    Recent reports of shutter replacement costs on the 1D Canon cameras range from around $450USD to $650, depending on who does the repair and what else might need replacement.

For a 1D body I recommend genuine Canon service.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    a tidbit of info.
    Spoke to a CPS rep the other day. Even if you are not a CPS members, most 1D series are being treated as a CPS repair unless the canon hospital is super busy and the turn around time is about 24 hours once they receive it.
  • jjvfxjjvfx Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Let me know what you end up doing. I have a 1d Mark II nearing 200k land.
    Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Canon EOS 40D, 70-200mm 2.8L IS
  • crmitchecrmitche Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    It's going to Canon in Irvine this afternoon. I'll let ya'll know how it goes when it comes back home.

Cheers
    Craig

edited September 5, 2008
    crmitche wrote:
    It's going to Canon in Irvine this afternoon. I'll let ya'll know how it goes when it comes back home.

Cheers
    Craig

Great, I would like to know how it went. Whats the cost going to be on that bad boy?
  • crmitchecrmitche Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    Just got it back today. It actually arrived two days ago. I didn't have a chance to pick it up from my friend's place. Here is the final verdict,
    "We have examined the product according to your request, and, the shutter did not operate properly. The shutter unit, mirror stopper was replaced. Other electrical adjustments, inspection and cleaning and parts replacement were carried out."
    The total bill was $267.38. Don't know if I got a break because he is CPS or not. But it sure made me happy. I'll post some pre/post repair images soon.

Cheers
    Craig

• aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    crmitche wrote:
    The total bill was $267.38. Don't know if I got a break because he is CPS or not.
    clap.gifCongrats on getting your camera back!

I was told by the CPS rep (Jim Rose) that CPS membership does not provide any discount. CPS is only for loaner gear and faster repairs since there are dedicated CPS techs and workflow.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    Seems like an incredible price for a shutter replacement! Good news for you.

I hope you get 200K out of this one.mwink.gif
    edited September 15, 2008
    Glad everything went well!!
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    I had always heard it was about $300 to get one replaced, while I'm not a CPS member when I registered my 1D I received a packet from Canon. In the packet was a $100 voucher and other paperwork stating I would receive a 20% discount on service and parts and a 3 day turnaround.

Not to shabby considering it's approaching it's seventh birthday and I picked it up with just over 17000 shots for just shy of $600. Lol, it was the first time a camera ever made me money.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.