Bay Bridge moonset

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited September 3, 2008 in Landscapes
363778932_m5jJX-XL.jpg

The end of summer was celebrated by a semi-premeditated, semi-impromptu drive out east. The shoreline that Maryland is famous for is not a place that I go to more than once or twice every couple of years, so it was nearly groundbreaking territory for me.

At best, I cross that path only when headed to some hot, suffering, overcrowded day in Ocean City. :lol3

I had something in mind. Something shore-like, summery, and calm. Our first two or three spots were a bust, but we have found where the filthy rich reside. That's right: on the shore. I don't envy their view but wow, I thought these houses were hotels at first...

We finally found a perfect spot. Questionably legal, but nothing we couldn't handle. The view wasn't quite what I had hoped for (I spent a lot of time thinking about the fantastic photojournalism of A. Aubrey Bodine, but I think these shots that I noodled over were probably taken from a boat) but still very good. Some of the best views are verboten!

Oh what a time to be without that 70-200 lens.

364313128_j782C-L.jpg

It was such a peaceful evening. We had scouted the location, glanced at the high sun and decided we had time to go for dinner. Coming back we missed the sun by about 5 minutes, but that was OK. (Do we have enough Muench Stars yet? :D) The sky still had so much color in it, exactly the kind of light you think about when you talk about the Chesapeake Bay.

We grabbed our gear and run out to a deserted private pier. The property was edged with boulders and the gentle lapping of the waves was the only sound in the entire universe. Clump, clump, clump went our boots on the planks. Then silence as we considered the view. All too soon the light was fading entirely and the bay was starting to snooze. Only when the last dregs of rosy sunlight braced the Bay Bridge did we see the sinking moon. And what a lovely sight it was.

Hope everyone had a great weekend, too. :thumb

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    wings.gif amazing.

schmoo, i fear i may look stupid here, but i just dont understand how to produce a moon shot like this? tips? layers?
    Aaron Nelson
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    That is a Tasty Burger.

Well done :smo
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Very nice moon shot! mwink.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • DonnaLuDonnaLu Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Nice timing!
    Lovely colors on your Schmoonset thumb.gif
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~M. Twain
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    wings.gif amazing.

schmoo, i fear i may look stupid here, but i just dont understand how to produce a moon shot like this? tips? layers?
    Hey Aaron, thanks! Don't worry I am the queen of Stupid Questions. rolleyes1.gif That one isn't even stupid!

I didn't do anything fancy, TBH. I shot as normal and made sure I had no blinkies on the LCD, then when I got home I set points on my curve for the moon (brightest part of the sky) and one of the darker parts in the haze near the horizon. Tweaked a little, masked away the foreground and that's pretty much it. Repeated a few times to taste and that is just how I got the moon to pop out a little more.

I have another adjustment layer for the water but overall I really try to K.I.S.S. :D

Thanks, guys thumb.gif
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Gorgeous!! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    ok, what telephoto were you using?

you didnt have the 70-200, so how did you get the moon so large?
    i thought this might be a composite or a super telephoto maybe??...so i guess let me ask, why is the moon so small in my landscape shots with 70-200..and you have a large beauty??

see, im a better stupid question asker than you:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Not the Bay Bridge I was expecting! :D

"Questionably legal" has always been my mantra (not exactly a ringing endorsement I guess...).

I really like both of these shots, the second is probably my favorite (big fan of long exposures flattening out the water), I just hope you avoided the birds which look like they've visited that dock a time or two.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    I love it. That sliver of Moon just tops it off. Nicely done!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    The color contrast in the first is spectacular! clap.gif I also love the second with the exception of that the movement of the other photographer is a little distracting.
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Elegant. iloveyou.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Nice to see your post clap.gif
    Thanks for posting these great shots mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Very nice. Love the first one. thumb.gif
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    What a pair of fantastic images. The colors, composition, subject matter...awesome!
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Very nice sliver crescent moon in interesting shot one.
    Shot 2 is really very nice to my eye. Well done. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    You pulled a possible lemon location into lemonaid. Thats telling
    as to your skill and sight. :D Michael
    Michael
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    ok, what telephoto were you using?

you didnt have the 70-200, so how did you get the moon so large?
    i thought this might be a composite or a super telephoto maybe??...so i guess let me ask, why is the moon so small in my landscape shots with 70-200..and you have a large beauty??

see, im a better stupid question asker than you:D
    I cheated. I cropped. I actually took a 9-shot pano of the horizon thinking that it'd be great but when I got home and merged them it was just too small. Panos are tricky things, and I ended up just using two frames out of the 9, then cropping in.

Currently the most zoom I have in my lens lineup is the 24-105. rolleyes1.gif

Ron, I think you and I would get along just fine if we were to go shooting! :D

And I have a couple of "duds" from this set. I don't go shooting enough to realize things I should have done differently, but ah live and learn!

364313249_Wx3id-L.jpg

365147790_zb6jS-L.jpg

Thanks for the support, everyone!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 3, 2008
    I like the last "dud". Almost better than the first two. Because it's different than most.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Beautiful moon shot over the bridge.

Great placement as well as blending it into the sky.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    I am soooo digging your "dud" Dudette! :D:D:D
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Extremely colorful poop in that shot!!

poop-tography..hehehehe
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    363778932_m5jJX-XL.jpg

Wonderful! clap.gif That is definately a wall hanger! Great job Schmoo. :D