My new bag!

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited April 29, 2005 in Accessories

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    I finally found a bag I like to replace my little Tamrac.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Shoulder_Bags/allWeather/Stealth_Reporter_200_AW.aspx
    Cool!

As I've said elsewhere---I love things in which you put other things. They're so cool.

Anyway, congrats.

Hey, ian408, when you read this---how about a sticky, open thread "Check out my new gear!" We all like to show off, and there's a lot to be learned by seeing what other people actually buy.

I, myself, just took Andy's advice and got this Manfrotto tripod. I've had it a couple of days, set it up at work in one of those "in-between" moments, but haven't been able to use it in the field yet. Yosemite, here I come!

Anyway, I am really pleased with it so far. The design is excellent as is the build. I only had cheap tripods before, and I really like stepping up into the big leagues with this one.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Congrats.

I have a LowePro also. Very sturdy. Excellent craftsmanship.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Good going Angelo thumb.gif
    Yeah I like the idea of sticky new gear thread thumb.gif
    I'll start OK well Angelo 1st but I'll add:

A few weeks ago I bought (thanks Andy) Manfrotto Monopod #449. You all already know how well Andy treats gear, so of course arrived in Pristine shape. I have been using it every chance I get (no matter SSpeed) It has proven to be valuable aid to sharpness, comp., tracking etc. I use it like a rifle stock (small ball head installed) when not using it the normal way!! It's easy to take with everywhere camera goes. So I recommend this item to anyone who wants additional support in almost any situtation (sp) I give this item
    2 thumb.gifs with a snap lol3.gif (remember that show :D)
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Good bag. That top zip, being able to reach in without opening the flap, is a great help.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Agelo
    Great bag congrats

I also like the fact that you can remove the padded insert from this bag
    Makes it less rigid and lighter too:lift(I not the man I used to be):cry
    Or is it the older I get the better I was?ne_nau.gif

Have fun
    Fred
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 27, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

Hey, ian408, when you read this---how about a sticky, open thread "Check out my new gear!" We all like to show off, and there's a lot to be learned by seeing what other people actually buy.
    How's about sticking your new purchases in the discussion thread? Does that
    work?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    wow, I never expected such a response. DavidTO, great idea for the new sticky!

so I'm confused about these monopods... how does using one ensure stability taking a shot? if you still have to hold it and the camera....???
  • Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    Good going Angelo thumb.gif
    Yeah I like the idea of sticky new gear thread thumb.gif
    I'll start OK well Angelo 1st but I'll add:

A few weeks ago I bought (thanks Andy) Manfrotto Monopod #449. You all already know how well Andy treats gear, so of course arrived in Pristine shape. I have been using it every chance I get (no matter SSpeed) It has proven to be valuable aid to sharpness, comp., tracking etc. I use it like a rifle stock (small ball head installed) when not using it the normal way!! It's easy to take with everywhere camera goes. So I recommend this item to anyone who wants additional support in almost any situtation (sp) I give this item
    2 thumb.gifs with a snap lol3.gif (remember that show :D)
    Around the world... and back snap! clap.gif

Hurray for In Living Color... "You can do what you want to do.... In Living Color"
  • Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Great bag! I have the Reporter 300 and it's enough room for a pro body, three lens, flash and my compact digital camera. The zip access on top is really great for fast access and you can open the top while resting the camera on the bag. I don't recommend this but I've done it a few times.

My only slight complaint is the shoulder strap. Once the bag is fully loaded it's heavy and the strap is thin to my standards, I'm used to 2" messenger bag straps. I'm looking around as to where I can upgrade my strap to a nicer version.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    Great bag! I have the Reporter 300 and it's enough room for a pro body, three lens, flash and my compact digital camera. The zip access on top is really great for fast access and you can open the top while resting the camera on the bag. I don't recommend this but I've done it a few times.

My only slight complaint is the shoulder strap. Once the bag is fully loaded it's heavy and the strap is thin to my standards, I'm used to 2" messenger bag straps. I'm looking around as to where I can upgrade my strap to a nicer version.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Domke makes a wider strap that B&H sells. I think they call it a Postal strap, or something like that.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Domke makes a wider strap that B&H sells. I think they call it a Postal strap, or something like that.
    Thanks,

I'll look into that.

Rob
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    Thanks,

I'll look into that.

Rob
    Update,

I found a good replacement for the strap on the Reporter 300, it's made by Timbuk2 and very cheap. I currently use a Timbuk2 product and their quality is very nice.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/catalog/categories.t2?categoryId=-4

2" shoulder strap with quick release $5

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/catalog/categories.t2?categoryId=15

Also here's the strap pad, $15 in a choice of colors and materials.

Not too bad for $15 plus shipping. Gives new life to the bag.

Rob
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    I finally found a bag I like to replace my little Tamrac.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Shoulder_Bags/allWeather/Stealth_Reporter_200_AW.aspx
    That's a great bag. I have the exact one and it's so comfortable. Big enough to hold my stuff but still small enough to not get in the way.thumb.gif

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    I just got a new case myself. I desperately wanted something that would let me carry my camera attached to a relatively long lens, room for a couple of other lenses, misc camera crap, and most importantly a laptop. I found this at Adorama:

GBCGY.JPG

The downside is that it is a smidgen too small for one of my laptops so I can't zip it in. The other one is fine though. I'll be taking it to Thailand so I'll have to let you guys know how it holds up.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    update
    Great bag! I have the Reporter 300...
    well after 2 days with the "200" I decided it was a tad too small so I returned to Samy's Camera and swapped up to the 300 model. All the room I need + a bit more growth room for that next piece of glass I'll eventually buy. Better to spend an extra $20 bucks now than $100 later, I always say! :D

So far no problems with the strap... but thanks for the heads up.

I was at Disneyland last night for a sneak peek at the new 50th Anniversary parade and fireworks show... I loved being able to access gear through the zip top panel.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    I loved being able to access gear through the zip top panel.
    nod.gif That's the ticket, alright.
    Sid.