The last sunset of summer

bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
edited September 4, 2008 in Landscapes
I ventured out to Jamestown, Rhode Island this past weekend to capture the last official sunset of summer. Comments and suggestions welcomed. Thanks for looking!

1. Single exposure with a .6 gnd. I did not place the feather there.
2823028281_1bd2cf1d0e_o.jpg
2. A four exposure HDR
2823028231_6b6a05b213_o.jpg

Comments

• summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Very nice, looks peaceful.:D thumb.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Amazing photography ! weldone thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Nice shots thumb.gif

Bryan, I always get banding artifacts on my clear skys when using Photomatix for HDRs. How did you avoid this? Did you use Photomatix?
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Thanks for the comments folks!

Dan, I did indeed use Photomatix for this image. I don't know specifically how to avoid banding, but I always find that if I try to be gentle with the tone mapping the end results are a lot better looking. I did make further adjustments to this image in CS3, such as an overlay mask on the sky to darken it a bit further, and selective brightening and warmth with the Viveza plugin.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    bryanj87 wrote:
    Thanks for the comments folks!

Dan, I did indeed use Photomatix for this image. I don't know specifically how to avoid banding, but I always find that if I try to be gentle with the tone mapping the end results are a lot better looking. I did make further adjustments to this image in CS3, such as an overlay mask on the sky to darken it a bit further, and selective brightening and warmth with the Viveza plugin.

Thanks Bryan. I have been using Viveza as well. I use it in Aperture. Do you like it?
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Great tonal range! I think you had the right touch with the HDR because I wouldn't have guessed this was worked like that. However knowing how difficult it is to expose a scene with a full sunstar like that...

I love the placement of the feather. I would like to have seen some silky water since beaches like this lend themselves for smoothness between the rocks, but I still love these two. Thanks for sharing!
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Dan-Yes, I love Viveza. What a handy plugin that has been proving to be.

Thanks, Schmoo. I had wanted to get silky water too, but I need some more ND filters to make it easier, or that "silky water" plugin! rolleyes1.gif
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Gorgeous photos and great HDR work. thumb.gif
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    These are truly what we should strive for in HDR. Beautiful full tonal range but still realistic. Love the first one.
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Great photos. I like the second one better.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers