Renewal Question

dejacodejaco Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited February 13, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi My account is just about up for renewal and to be honest I am wavering as to whether I will renew. I have been patiently waiting for multi currency support but there is still no mention of it. Is there a definitive plan for multi currency support (I am after Australian dollars) in say the next 6 - 12 months or am i just wasting my time hanging around for it?

Many Thanks

Dennis

Comments

• dejacodejaco Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 8, 2008
    Currency Support
    Hi My account is just about up for renewal and to be honest I am wavering as to whether I will renew. I have been patiently waiting for multi currency support but there is still no mention of it. Is there a definitive plan for multi currency support (I am after Australian dollars) in say the next 6 - 12 months or am i just wasting my time hanging around for it?

Many Thanks

Dennis
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    they won't say for certain (policy not to give too much away about future developments) but don't hold your breath - I can't see Smugmug becoming non-US friendly any time soon....
    edited September 9, 2008
    its crazy , how hard would it be to add that functionality ... or at least integrate paypal or something so we could accept the payments ourself...
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    paulbrock wrote:
    I can't see Smugmug becoming non-US friendly any time soon....
    We're very friendly :) But you mean having a non-US print lab and non US prices in our cart and allowing payment in non US currency, and paying our nonUS pros in local currency.

Would love to do 'em all! We still have a bunch of other things to get to, guys, before we can go there.

I'm sorry about that.
    edited September 9, 2008
    OK in fairness I mean you're not 'non-US currency friendly'! The smugmug lot are always extremely helpful, and the 'currency' thing is the only thing I don't like about SM! :D
    edited September 9, 2008
    My only concern is the currency in the cart ... i dont mind missing out on lab fulfillment , and i dont care how i am paid, i would just like to show australian dollars , and have customers billed in australian dollars.

In lieu of this are you able to point me to an easy to follow tutorial on how to bill with paypal?
    edited September 10, 2008
    dejaco wrote:
    In lieu of this are you able to point me to an easy to follow tutorial on how to bill with paypal?

Try this thread for starters...
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=19079
    edited September 11, 2008
    Cheers Paul

I'll give it a try
  • DigitalTasmaniaDigitalTasmania Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    The outback currency horse won't die
    Andy wrote:
    We're very friendly :) But you mean having a non-US print lab and non US prices in our cart and allowing payment in non US currency, and paying our nonUS pros in local currency.

Would love to do 'em all! We still have a bunch of other things to get to, guys, before we can go there.

I'm sorry about that.
    Andy,

We all know you are friendly . . . we are too.

At the risk of:

:deadhorse

I think your statement makes the core problem into more that it is.

The issue is that we all are putting 110% into what we do - we care about our work - we (most of us) struggle to make it work out financially, so we can do what we love and still pay the bills. And this is why we choose SM . . . your dedication to the best experience - for us, for you, most importantly for our customers.

The real frustration is that after all this work on all our parts - yours and ours - it is undone by a simple number that isn't converted into the units our customers expect.

I mean no disrespect, and I'm ignorant of the backgrounds of SM staff, but I'm not sure SM understands the cultural issues involved? Australians, for example, don't want to deal in US dollars. Right now the AUD is getting hammered , today it's like 1.53 to 1 . . by showing USD it's like "Oh, I'm on a local website but I'm paying more cause this is from America" or "is this more expensive than it should be?" - even if you do adjust the prices with that in mind (which is a pain to keep up with!) - and then "now I have to click on this little link and convert the numbers myself" and then "my card got charged 2 dollars more than I thought it would". It's a real barrier to sales and, after all SM and we both do for customers, that is frustrating . . . especially after the years that have transpired on this thread.

We all know you guys bust yer butt and the service is ACE . . . but this is close to a deal breaker for many outside the US . . . it makes us feel - well me anyway - like the service to our customers is 2nd-rate.

My experience, and I assume the experience of most of my customers, is that more and more online carts have "multi-currency" functionality. That is, IMHAPIO (In my humble and possibly ignorant opinion), the expectation that needs to be met.

[Honest question - not sarcasm or being critical] Is it really that hard to be able to charge customers in their own currency so it's not a roadblock to sales? That, is the key currency issue - not the shipment overseas or paying me in AUD.

Peace and thanks from Tasmania
  • MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Well putthumb.gif
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    +1.

I don't mind about the shipping from the US or getting paid in US$, but the customers seeing US$ ?!?
    It scares them away.

Andrew
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    [Honest question - not sarcasm or being critical] Is it really that hard

Guys, we know you want this. Is it hard? I don't know, I'm not an engineer. Yeah, we know how important it is, how much of a monetary, and cultural issue it is. But there are things that are on our road map before this. I'm really, really sorry guys, I wish I had a better answer, I really, really do.
  • DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Just a thought--why not just grab a conversion rate from somewhere like XE.COM and post it next to the USD price? Just *show* the local dollar equivalent.. But, still charge in USD, etc.. At least people who use CAD/AUD, etc.. can SEE the approx. charge.

Shouldn't be that hard, right?
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    DrDavid wrote:
    Just a thought--why not just grab a conversion rate from somewhere like XE.COM and post it next to the USD price? Just *show* the local dollar equivalent.. But, still charge in USD, etc.. At least people who use CAD/AUD, etc.. can SEE the approx. charge.

Shouldn't be that hard, right?
    Where would you put this? You can't customize the cart where the prices are shown.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Where would you put this? You can't customize the cart where the prices are shown.
    Sorry.. It was more for andy to see.. But.. you could do this:

http://coinmill.com/price_currency_converter.html

Customize as needed. Then, paste it somewhere appropriate (footer?). It will at least HELP :) Oh, and the currency will be updated live.

David