How shape light with reflectors on person?

jinspinjinspin Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
edited September 4, 2008 in People
<!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> I want to be able to shape the light on the face and body like in a magazine.
I want to be able to focus the light on pieces of the face or body for artistic look with shadows and light.

I tried a 7inch reflector bowl and 30degree grid that came with my lighting kit and I shot it directly straight at the model's face/body.
The light seemed harsh and I saw these (very bright) hot spots on the face and body which I do not want.

How am I suppose to use the reflectors to shape light onto the body?
Any recommendation on which are best reflector sizes and grids to invest in? benefit of 7inch vs 9 vs 12 inch reflectors for use on person?
Anything to soften the hotspots?
Should I invest in barndoors to shape light?

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    7" reflector and 30 degree grid is a recipe for a rather harsh light with a medium fallout pattern.
    While it can be used for certain effects (I use similar combo for "thigh rims":-) I wouldn't recommend using it for a face lighting, unless you're looking for some particular - and I must add, rarely seen - effect.

It's next to impossible to tell what you need to use without knowing what exactly you're trying to achieve. However, I don't think barn doors would help you in this particular case.

If you can provide a link to an image you are trying to reproduce I will probably be able to tell you what lighting setup you may need.

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • jinspinjinspin Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    7" reflector and 30 degree grid is a recipe for a rather harsh light with a medium fallout pattern.
    While it can be used for certain effects (I use similar combo for "thigh rims":-) I wouldn't recommend using it for a face lighting, unless you're looking for some particular - and I must add, rarely seen - effect.

It's next to impossible to tell what you need to use without knowing what exactly you're trying to achieve. However, I don't think barn doors would help you in this particular case.

If you can provide a link to an image you are trying to reproduce I will probably be able to tell you what lighting setup you may need.

HTH

Thanks for reply and telling me the reflector and grid is harsh - that is exactly what i thought I saw.

Here is link to photos that I tried using that setup.
    http://photos.sweetdreamsstudio.com/gallery/5487852_tAasJ

I want light to be softer and sharp like in fashion/artsy. What do pros use? Should I get bigger reflector like 9 or 12 inch but then I would lose control of focus? what degree grid?
    I want to be able to focus light on parts of face and body without being harsh lighting.
    edited September 3, 2008
    jinspin wrote:
    Thanks for reply and telling me the reflector and grid is harsh - that is exactly what i thought I saw.

Here is link to photos that I tried using that setup.
    http://photos.sweetdreamsstudio.com/gallery/5487852_tAasJ

I want light to be softer and sharp like in fashion/artsy. What do pros use? Should I get bigger reflector like 9 or 12 inch but then I would lose control of focus? what degree grid?
    I want to be able to focus light on parts of face and body without being harsh lighting.

Yeah, with one light and no modifiers I wouldn't expect much different...:-(

Again, please provide the link to the image you WOULD LIKE to mimic, not to one we know didn't work out.
    edited September 3, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yeah, with one light and no modifiers I wouldn't expect much different...:-(

Again, please provide the link to the image you WOULD LIKE to mimic, not to one we know didn't work out.

Here is one example that i admire - he uses hard light.
    http://www.vizualsynergi.com

I will try to dig up some other artistic/fashion pics.

I don't need anything fancy- just a good start. I don't want to buy reflectors or grids that I don't need or is harsh.

These are choices that I am looking to buy.
    http://www.henselusa.com/reflectors.html
    edited September 3, 2008
    jinspin wrote:
    Here is one example that i admire - he uses hard light.
    http://www.vizualsynergi.com

I will try to dig up some other artistic/fashion pics.

I don't need anything fancy- just a good start. I don't want to buy reflectors or grids that I don't need or is harsh.

These are choices that I am looking to buy.
    http://www.henselusa.com/reflectors.html

How many lights do you own, and what are they?
    Most of those pics at vizual synergy require at least 3 if not 5, with stripboxes and large softboxes. Reflectors are *not* what's used there.. deal.gif
    edited September 3, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    How many lights do you own, and what are they?
    Most of those pics at vizual synergy require at least 3 if not 5, with stripboxes and large softboxes. Reflectors are *not* what's used there.. deal.gif

How do you know reflectors were not used?
    I own hensel lights - 4 lights. I normally use large softboxes but I want to be more focused and control light.

Here is another website I just found that I admire and which I want to do. These have good examples of light and shadow on body.
    Notice the first picture how light and shadow is on different parts face and body. I would like to do that too.

http://www.swiftimages.net/portraits/index.html
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    The far left images on the Swift site look like they were shot with a diffuse light source from a fairly long distance. Why do I think so? Because the general effect of the shadows is soft, but the light fall-off is fairly rapid.

I would suggest before you buy anything more you play around taking shots of a simple object (like, say, a piece of fruit) with and without something in front of your lights to provide diffusion. This doesn't need to be fancy: a white bedsheet or a thin piece of paper could work. Then experiment with shots where this light source moves from really close to really far away from your subject. Somewhere in those combinations you're going to find what you like. Note that and work with it as you approach lighting your model. If you want to further restrict where your light goes, you can use something to limit its direction. Again, this doesn't need to be fancy: commercial barn doors are great, but black construction paper and tape could work in a bind.
    edited September 3, 2008
    jinspin wrote:
    How do you know reflectors were not used?
    Because they have very soft fill?ne_nau.gif
    I own hensel lights - 4 lights. I normally use large softboxes but I want to be more focused and control light.
    Use you large softbox to create an ambient light (main), and then use your reflector/grid at relatively low power from a close distance to highlight the face (key). Use the other two lights with stripboxes (or umbrellas) to create side highlights (rims)
    Here is another website I just found that I admire and which I want to do. These have good examples of light and shadow on body.
    Notice the first picture how light and shadow is on different parts face and body. I would like to do that too.
    http://www.swiftimages.net/portraits/index.html

3d image from the left shows very clearly the guys is using two HUGE octaboxes. I can't spot any image in this gallery that would specifically call for reflector usage. They *may* be used there, but sparily...
    edited September 3, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Because they have very soft fill?ne_nau.gif

Use you large softbox to create an ambient light (main), and then use your reflector/grid at relatively low power from a close distance to highlight the face (key). Use the other two lights with stripboxes (or umbrellas) to create side highlights (rims)

3d image from the left shows very clearly the guys is using two HUGE octaboxes. I can't spot any image in this gallery that would specifically call for reflector usage. They *may* be used there, but sparily...

If I use large softbox to create ambient light- won't I lose the shadows?
    I have an octagon myself but i tire of just lighting up everything and want to be more creative with focused light and shadow. I want to be able to create the first image in swift website.

I've been reading up on grids and tighter the grid the more focused it is like 10degree. The longer the reflector the more focused beam it will be. So I am thinking 20degree medium length long and throw a diffuser over the front would suffice. I read there is rosco tough spun diffuser which suppose to make it less harsh.
    Since I don't own the different grids I don't know which one is better. But if you say 7inch and 30 degree is harsh then what would you say is better combination for lighting face and body? 9 inch?

I found this article where it says because of harshness of hard light to throw the hot center farther away so lighting exposure is evened out.
    http://www.pdngearguide.com/gearguide/content_display/features/e3ic5a9e83af74a3d0c1280ae91c5fba223

"This happens because that side of the face is both closer to the light, and is also in the center of the hot spot created by the grid. I use the differences in the exposure of the grid spot to throw the light to the far side of the face, thus making the far side slightly brighter and the close side slightly less so. "
    edited September 4, 2008
    jinspin wrote:
    If I use large softbox to create ambient light- won't I lose the shadows?
    I have an octagon myself but i tire of just lighting up everything and want to be more creative with focused light and shadow. I want to be able to create the first image in swift website.

I've been reading up on grids and tighter the grid the more focused it is like 10degree. The longer the reflector the more focused beam it will be. So I am thinking 20degree medium length long and throw a diffuser over the front would suffice. I read there is rosco tough spun diffuser which suppose to make it less harsh.
    Since I don't own the different grids I don't know which one is better. But if you say 7inch and 30 degree is harsh then what would you say is better combination for lighting face and body?

I found this article where it says because of harshness of hard light to throw the hot center farther away so lighting exposure is evened out.
    http://www.pdngearguide.com/gearguide/content_display/features/e3ic5a9e83af74a3d0c1280ae91c5fba223

"This happens because that side of the face is both closer to the light, and is also in the center of the hot spot created by the grid. I use the differences in the exposure of the grid spot to throw the light to the far side of the face, thus making the far side slightly brighter and the close side slightly less so. "
    You know what.. I actually think you're reaching too far. Too many toys and not enough basic knowledge. You're mixing things that cannot possibly be mixed, like grids angles and diffusers sizes. Forget about swift, etc. Get - and read - some books on lighting. Scout for tutorials and such. Start with one light. Even with one light there are tons of variables - distance, power, size and shape of the diffuser, angle, fallout pattern, balance of ambient... Be meticulous and see what each change does. Once you get comfortable with one light - add a reflector. Then a second light. This will bring a whole new world. Once you truly understand what you can and cannot do with two lights (and a reflector) - start adding more...
    I apologize if I sound harsh, but if you want to get good with lighting you need to learn it. You can't just buy a 4-light kit and expect starting lighting centerfolds.ne_nau.gif
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:

Grids are commonly used for rims because they cut down flare on lights pointed back toward the camera. A 7" reflector with 30 degree grid makes a resonable hair light (which is a kind of rim). I usually prefer something a bit larger than 7", but for some kinds of portriats a small hair light works.

As for what kind of modifer to get, my suggestion is build yourself a couple of V-flats. Go to your local framing store and order 2 sheets of 4'x8' foam core, white on one side and black on the other. Slice them up the middle into two 2 foot wide strips and then use tape to make a hinge so they can fold closed. You can then stand the V-flats up folded with the white side inward and bounce your lights off the inside. They make remarkably versatile modifiers as you can move your lights and change the V angle to control the light. And, as an added bouns, they can also serve as gobos to protect your lens from your rim lights.

2 V-flats, a gridded dish and a medium softbox will get you long way in lighting.
    edited September 4, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    A 7" reflector with 30 degree grid makes a resonable hair light (which is a kind of rim). I usually prefer something a bit larger than 7", but for some kinds of portriats a small hair light works.
    rim/hair - agree, I'm using something like that (and I would also like something bigger)
    edited September 4, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Grids are commonly used for rims because they cut down flare on lights pointed back toward the camera. A 7" reflector with 30 degree grid makes a resonable hair light (which is a kind of rim). I usually prefer something a bit larger than 7", but for some kinds of portriats a small hair light works.

As for what kind of modifer to get, my suggestion is build yourself a couple of V-flats. Go to your local framing store and order 2 sheets of 4'x8' foam core, white on one side and black on the other. Slice them up the middle into two 2 foot wide strips and then use tape to make a hinge so they can fold closed. You can then stand the V-flats up folded with the white side inward and bounce your lights off the inside. They make remarkably versatile modifiers as you can move your lights and change the V angle to control the light. And, as an added bouns, they can also serve as gobos to protect your lens from your rim lights.

2 V-flats, a gridded dish and a medium softbox will get you long way in lighting.

Too late I just bought a medium strip bank with a grid as another toy :) I am reading about using reflectors to focus light but it it is difficult when you don't have the different size equipments to test things out and I would like to know people's real world experiences. 7inch reflector really for just hair light? No book mentions this. So you recommend bigger reflector than 7 inches for portraits? I just read gomez's glamour book and most reflectors used were 7inches with 10 and 20 degrees and a strip bank with 40 degree grid was used a lot. This is the kind of info I would like to know about focusing light as a starting point so that I know what to get so I can start playing and experimenting with that. All your inputs and experiences are great. And trust me - I will be practicing with all this stuff a lot. I will have to make this bookend too. Thanks.

ps- I really don't see what I am mixing up that is wrong? I mentioned 10 and 20 degree grids for tighter beam and use diffuser to soften the hot spot. What am I saying wrong?
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    For most of my portraits I use a 30" silver umbrella as a hair light and a 30x40 softbox as a main light. Both are big enough to be moderately forgiving as my subject moves around so I can run a pretty relaxed session with minmial fiddling. The light is from these not particularly dramatic, but I am not going for glamor.

For my work I almost always want some softness to the light so if I am using something as small as 7", usually I am placing it in close for a dramatic falloff effect while keeping the effective size large enough for some softness to the shadows.