Desert HDR

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited September 3, 2008 in Landscapes
This is the road where Aaron and I came across those rattlesnakes doing the nasty we recently posted shots of in Wildlife. The area is really beautiful in a way that's hard to capture in a single frame. So I tried an HDR. Thoughts?
IMG_8711-15_hdr_900.jpg

Comments

• Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Love it! iloveyou.gif

You are right, though, a more panoramic image is necessary to capture the true awesomeness of a scene like this. It also needs a much larger size to be fully appreciated.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    You got great sky there ! loved the HDR
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Nice. thumb.gif How did you avoid the banding artifacts that I always get on my skys with Photomatix? Did you use Photomatix? How many exposures?
    Blah blah blah?
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Well, the light is crap. It's mid-day light, with tons of contrast. So an HDR image will bring it back so you can get all the colors and range in a single image, without blowing anything out... but the light is still crap mwink.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 3, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Love it! iloveyou.gif

You are right, though, a more panoramic image is necessary to capture the true awesomeness of a scene like this. It also needs a much larger size to be fully appreciated.
    Hey Ric, thanks for commenting! I was getting worried there for a while. :uhoh

I really should have said "hard to capture in a single exposure", rather than "frame". Sure, pano is always better. An HDR pano would be an interesting challenge. But baby steps first, I'm still just learning HDR. :D
    edited September 3, 2008
    You got great sky there ! loved the HDR
    Thanks, Awais. If you like it, I like it. :D
    edited September 3, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Nice. thumb.gif How did you avoid the banding artifacts that I always get on my skys with Photomatix? Did you use Photomatix? How many exposures?
    Blah blah blah?

Hey Dan,

I haven't used Photomatrix, but was seriously thinking of trying it. (See my Dynamic PhotoHDR rant in my signature). However, that's discouraging that you're having banding issues with it.

The shot has 5 exposures at one stop intervals, which was probably overkill. I used both a trial version of PhotoHDR (even though I paid for the full version which I never got), and "CS3 Merge To HDR". Both were fairly equivalent, and both needed touch up in CS3 afterwards, which makes me wonder if I did something wrong. Thanks for checking in.

-joel
    edited September 3, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    Well, the light is crap. It's mid-day light, with tons of contrast. So an HDR image will bring it back so you can get all the colors and range in a single image, without blowing anything out... but the light is still crap mwink.gif
    Thanks for the input, CatOne. I always value your input, except for this time. Just kidding. rolleyes1.gif

Yup, I knew the light was crap and that was the whole reason for doing the HDR. So if I made the shot just a little better, then it was worth it. I really need to get out into the desert in the sweet light hours, so thanks for reminding me of that. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Thanks for the input, CatOne. I always value your input, except for this time. Just kidding. rolleyes1.gif

Yup, I knew the light was crap and that was the whole reason for doing the HDR. So if I made the shot just a little better, then it was worth it. I really need to get out into the desert in the sweet light hours, so thanks for reminding me of that. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

Woo Hoo that means camping trip! :ivar

Cause I ain't getting up at 2 am to drive 2 hours to meet you and then another hour bouncing around from your off road driving just to then hope for a nice sunrise. deal.gifrolleyes1.gif

I like this a little bit because you were able to save the sky.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Certainly an interesting place.

Your HDR treatment is excellent, in that it doesn't look like an HDR, which in my mind is the goal.
    edited September 3, 2008
    Thanks, Aaron (I think headscratch.gif). rolleyes1.gif

Actually doing an HDR of that shot was your idea, so I'm glad you like it. thumb.gif

We'll be camping soon enough on the way out to the Moab shootout. Looking forward to that. :D

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited September 3, 2008
    SteveF wrote:
    Certainly an interesting place.

Your HDR treatment is excellent, in that it doesn't look like an HDR, which in my mind is the goal.

Thanks, Steve. I'm a big fan of your work.

-joel