Options

Photo Scavenger hunt ideas???

jbr13jbr13 Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited September 3, 2008 in The Big Picture
<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->A friend and I did a photo scavenger hunt back in Feb. for a local photography forum. It was to involve everyone at any level, and get people out shooting pics. We based the last one on more historical things from our county....ie...oldest church, first theater, old bowling alley, and such.

Things have been slow so I am thinking of doing another hunt. This time we would like to get people to think about using their camera a little better. In other words get it out of Auto mode. A few things we have thought of so far are shot of a church after dark, photo of a large bird, and a kids sporting event. So I thought I would post over here and try to get some more suggestions to try to get them out of auto mode.

Side note: The people that did the last one most shot with DSLR's but about 40% shot with point and shoots. Most point and shoots had manual modes.
Jason

http://jbr.smugmug.com/

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced... Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice"

Comments

• Options
    BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    That sounds like fun! Will you have directions along with the subject?
    Something like:

1) Subject in foreground with blurred background ( Aperture priority wide aperture)

2) Action photo ( Shutter priority high shutter speed)

3) Landscape with everything in focus ( Aperture priority small aperture)

etc.

This way the scavenger hunt could turn into a great learning experience for those with little photo knowledge.

Good luck and have fun!

jbr13 wrote:
    <HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->A friend and I did a photo scavenger hunt back in Feb. for a local photography forum. It was to involve everyone at any level, and get people out shooting pics. We based the last one on more historical things from our county....ie...oldest church, first theater, old bowling alley, and such.

Things have been slow so I am thinking of doing another hunt. This time we would like to get people to think about using their camera a little better. In other words get it out of Auto mode. A few things we have thought of so far are shot of a church after dark, photo of a large bird, and a kids sporting event. So I thought I would post over here and try to get some more suggestions to try to get them out of auto mode.

Side note: The people that did the last one most shot with DSLR's but about 40% shot with point and shoots. Most point and shoots had manual modes.
  • Options
    Marshmallow ManMarshmallow Man Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    ohhh heres an idea...

Photo Of Dead Body!!!!!!!!!
    ive actually done a photo-hunt with that on the list.... actually very interesting what qualifys as a "dead body" when u think about it...:D

Macro shot which includes a Reflection of the Photographer....

Photograph a Pattern..

Photograph something to make it look infinate....

Photograph a moving object, keeping subject in focus but having motion blurr...

hope that helps....thumb.gif
    - Roy

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited September 3, 2008
    Blaker's on to something. By specifying how the photo should be taken, you can easily get people thinking about ways to break out of auto.

An example; At the local airport, take a picture of an airplane in motion. The aircraft should be sharp and the backgrounds blurred.

You could add a short lesson on how to do that. Like "To show motion, a combination of panning and slower shutter speed is necessary. ...".
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?