Options

Popular Photos URL Domain Name is broken

pancamopancamo Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited September 10, 2008 in SmugMug Support
The URL for the popular photos (when you click a popular photo) is reverting back to http://pancamo.smugmug.com instead http://photos.pancamo.com/

This was working... Someone change something?

Dan

Comments

• Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    well it's working now... thanks!

pancamo wrote:
    The URL for the popular photos (when you click a popular photo) is reverting back to http://pancamo.smugmug.com instead http://photos.pancamo.com/

Dan
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2008
    The problem is occurring again...

attached is a screen copy...

pancamo wrote:

Dan
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2008
    Is there a way to move this thread to the support forum instead of the customization thread?
    pancamo wrote:

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited September 9, 2008
    pancamo wrote:
    Is there a way to move this thread to the support forum instead of the customization thread?
    Thread moved to support forum at Dan's request.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2008
    the problem still exists...

I've narrorwed it down... Only guest users (when I'm logged out) see the problem and only when popular photos are on the default homepage. going directly to the /popular url is ok...

This looks like a smugmug bug... Since pancamo.smugmug.com is blocked to all my company (websense) and photos.pancamo.com is not blocked this is a large issue for me...

I'm looking for another smugmug user example...

Is there a known issues thread?

pancamo wrote:

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    thanks, Dustin will check it and then bug as needed.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    pancamo wrote:
    the problem still exists...

I've narrorwed it down... Only guest users (when I'm logged out) see the problem and only when popular photos are on the default homepage. going directly to the /popular url is ok...

This looks like a smugmug bug... Since pancamo.smugmug.com is blocked to all my company (websense) and photos.pancamo.com is not blocked this is a large issue for me...

I'm looking for another smugmug user example...

Is there a known issues thread?

I see the issue on your site. The generated HTML is not using your custom domain.

The only thing I can think of is when you go to Control Panel, Settings, Domain, what have you entered in that box for your domain?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2008
    When I look at my html (view source) it looks like the absolute URL is being injected into the html See below:

This only occurs when I'm not logged in...

However when Im logged in, Keywords on my homepage is using non-domain URL...

So looks like multiple issues with domains....

to recreate the issue, goto http://photos.pancamo.com and view the html (view/source) and search for pancamo.smugmug.com pancamo.smugmug.com should not be anywhere in the html...

script type="text/javascript">
    var webServer = 'http://photos.pancamo.com';
    var NickName = 'pancamo';
    </********
    <div id="homepage" class="homepage tempClass bodyColor_Black">
    <div id="breadcrumb" class="nav">
    <div id="altViews"></div>
    <span id="userName" class="title">Pancamo<span class="title possess">'s</span></span> <span id="userHome" class="title">Home</span>
    <div class="spacer"></div>
    </div>
    <div id="popularPhotos" class="box">
    <div class="boxTop">
    <div class="boxNote note nav"></div>
    <h3 id="popularTitle" class="title notopmargin">
    <a href="http://pancamo.smugmug.com/popular/" class="title nolink">Most Popular Photos</a></h3>
    <div class="spacer"></div>

Andy wrote:
    thanks, Dustin will check it and then bug as needed.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2008
    I've entered photos.pancamo.com

1/2 of my site is correct... looks like Most Popular Photos is using the absolute URL, so the rest of the page get messed up...

jfriend wrote:
    I see the issue on your site. The generated HTML is not using your custom domain.

The only thing I can think of is when you go to Control Panel, Settings, Domain, what have you entered in that box for your domain?
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2008
    getting closer....

when I 1st open IE7 and load my page: http://photos.pancamo.com the following is part of my HTML, but if click the IE7 refresh button, the following is NOT part of my HTML

******** type="text/javascript">
    var smugmugUserHomepage = "
    http://photos.pancamo.com";
    </********

the same problem occurs with Google Chrome also...

Are you guys using some type of web load balancer maybe? I'm not sure why the refresh button pulls down a different version of the HTML...

pancamo wrote:
    I've entered photos.pancamo.com

1/2 of my site is correct... looks like Most Popular Photos is using the absolute URL, so the rest of the page get messed up...
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2008
    Curiously enough, I saw the error 20 mins ago and now it seems to be working for me. The popular photos are based on your custom domain.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2008
    close your browser(s), then goto my page (works) 1st time and then click on refresh (broken)....

looks like a smugmug coding issue...

jfriend wrote:
    Curiously enough, I saw the error 20 mins ago and now it seems to be working for me. The popular photos are based on your custom domain.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2008
    pancamo wrote:
    close your browser(s), then goto my page (works) 1st time and then click on refresh (broken)....

looks like a smugmug coding issue...

Works everytime for me now. I open IE. Go to your site. It shows the right domain. I hit refresh, still shows the right domain. Ten more times and it still shows the right domain. Have you tried clearing your browser cache and/or Smugmug cookies. I know it's a long shot, but when different people get different behavior it's often worth a try.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2008
    Well I remove popular photos from my homepage and then added it back...

the problem is gone now for popular photos, not the "Organize" at the bottom still has the wrong URL...

hmmm..

jfriend wrote:
    Works everytime for me now. I open IE. Go to your site. It shows the right domain. I hit refresh, still shows the right domain. Ten more times and it still shows the right domain. Have you tried clearing your browser cache and/or Smugmug cookies. I know it's a long shot, but when different people get different behavior it's often worth a try.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2008
    pancamo wrote:
    Well I remove popular photos from my homepage and then added it back...

the problem is gone now for popular photos, not the "Organize" at the bottom still has the wrong URL...

hmmm..

This sure smells like a caching problem to me where sometimes you get a stale cached page and sometimes not. I wonder if it will clear up as some cache expires or perhaps modifying the page caused the caches to get refreshed.

At least the organize link is only for you - your viewers don't see it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2008
    I removed all the items(popular photos, keywords, etc) on my homepage and readded them... That appears to have cleared it up for now...

I think it must be a cache issue, but im not sure if it local or somewhere between me and smugmug... Since you saw the problem, i suspect smugmug... Hitting refresh should clear cache... so im thinking that smugmug may be using some type of cache engine like cisco WCCP?

anyway, im good for now...

jfriend wrote:
    This sure smells like a caching problem to me where sometimes you get a stale cached page and sometimes not. I wonder if it will clear up as some cache expires or perhaps modifying the page caused the caches to get refreshed.

At least the organize link is only for you - your viewers don't see it.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2008
    pancamo wrote:
    I removed all the items(popular photos, keywords, etc) on my homepage and readded them... That appears to have cleared it up for now...

I think it must be a cache issue, but im not sure if it local or somewhere between me and smugmug... Since you saw the problem, i suspect smugmug... Hitting refresh should clear cache... so im thinking that smugmug may be using some type of cache engine like cisco WCCP?

anyway, im good for now...

Cool. Glad it's working now.

FYI, they are starting to use Akamai too (lots more caches near the edge), but I don't think they've yet enabled Akamai for custom domains.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2008
    FYI, I don't think this has anything to do with the problem you're having, but I ran your page through the W3C HTML validator and there are a bunch of minor HTML errors that you might want to clean up.

Many issues that it reports you can ignore, but some look like they should probably be fixed (missing close tags, non-symmetric open/close tags, close tag with no open tag, etc...). At it's worst, these kinds of errors cause funky behavior variations between browsers or cause things to break down the road when Smugmug changes it's HTML in a legal and normally harmless way.

Probably worth looking at the error listing.
    --John
    HomepagePopular