Rave - Canon Service Center

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited September 11, 2008 in Cameras
I've had my 17-55 f/2.8IS for some time - almost 2 years now I think - anyway the zoom assembly started to feel like it was binding at times. I didn't know if it was real or if I had been sniffing something.

Anyway, I arranged for service through the on-line system. I wrote that the zoom was stiffer than I remembered, it had collected a little dust behind the objective element, and that the focus might be a little out. Shipped it off last Tuesday (today is Wednesday, 8 days later).

I got a phone call from the service center to inform me that (1) they had received the lens, (2) they had inspected it, (3) determined that the zoom assembly had a busted part, (4) ordered and received the part, (5) that they had installed the part, tested the install, cleaned the lens inside and out, (6) tested the focus, and (7) were shipping it back to me tonight. I should get my baby back either Saturday or Monday. I can't wait - I love that lens.

Anyway, this post is about the service. That phone call was very timely, it was complete, and answered all my questions. On top of that, they fixed the problem (I'm assuming at this point that the problem is, indeed, fixed) and sending it back - all without bothering me with the details.

Too bad they didn't do it all for free :D

Comments

• VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Scott, do u mind sharing, how much they charge you for the service ?

I have 17-55 myself, but no problem so far (Knock on wood), just want to have some pictures how much I have to spend if I have the same problem in future.

Hope your lens will be perfect once you receive it back.

Thanks
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Vanquiz wrote:
    Scott, do u mind sharing, how much they charge you for the service ?

I have 17-55 myself, but no problem so far (Knock on wood), just want to have some pictures how much I have to spend if I have the same problem in future.

Hope your lens will be perfect once you receive it back.

Thanks
    The charge $93.40USD for all that - not too bad a deal actually, especially as there really was something wrong with the lens.

I also hope the lens comes back in "perfect" condition as it's my bread-and-butter lens. I go to that lens first for just about every job (hmmmm maybe I'm in something of a rut?).
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    I've had my 17-55 f/2.8IS for some time - almost 2 years now I think - anyway the zoom assembly started to feel like it was binding at times. I didn't know if it was real or if I had been sniffing something.

Anyway, I arranged for service through the on-line system. I wrote that the zoom was stiffer than I remembered, it had collected a little dust behind the objective element, and that the focus might be a little out. Shipped it off last Tuesday (today is Wednesday, 8 days later).

I got a phone call from the service center to inform me that (1) they had received the lens, (2) they had inspected it, (3) determined that the zoom assembly had a busted part, (4) ordered and received the part, (5) that they had installed the part, tested the install, cleaned the lens inside and out, (6) tested the focus, and (7) were shipping it back to me tonight. I should get my baby back either Saturday or Monday. I can't wait - I love that lens.

Anyway, this post is about the service. That phone call was very timely, it was complete, and answered all my questions. On top of that, they fixed the problem (I'm assuming at this point that the problem is, indeed, fixed) and sending it back - all without bothering me with the details.

Too bad they didn't do it all for free :D
    I've had many opportunities to deal with Canon service in relation to my Mk III, including a return for the AI Servo "fix". Their service personnel are fantastic; on the phone, I frequently end up shooting the breeze with the tech about shooting long after my question has been answered. I love that their techs are right here in the US, in Virginia specifically, and while they sometimes have to consult technical documentation to answer a specific question, it appears that they are real photographers who know their stuff.
    edited September 8, 2008
    It's back - after 13 days
    FWIW - The FedEX man just left me a little present (actually, I had to sign for it) - my lens is back.

Initial inspection shows it to be clean, the zoom mechanism works as it should.

Took it for a quick test drive, shooting the neighbor's tree, the shrub across the circle and the brick wall next to the front door of my house. Zoom and focus status - spot on!!! Life is good!!!

And, if you aren't quite clear on the concept, I'm happy with the service and the time it took to get it all done, especially considering that it was shipped from the east coast (VA) to California and back.
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    Yes, they're terrific
    Scott -

I've gone down there in person a few times - they're a little more than an hour's drive. Once I left stuff and had it back the next day. They are really helpful and go out of the way to take care of us. And while I am eligible to join CPS, I haven't yet and they still take great care of me!
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    wish i could go down in person...but then it maybe a good thing i cant....because i dont have anything nice to say to these people...
    i found three different employees rude, and have a careless attitude.ne_nau.gif

gerg.gif

sure glad ive given canon so much business.....NOT
    Aaron Nelson
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    Sounds like good service, but I'm a bit concerned that a lens that costs almost $1000 would have a zoom mechanism fall apart from under two years of use.

Did they give any explanation for that?
    edited September 8, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    Sounds like good service, but I'm a bit concerned that a lens that costs almost $1000 would have a zoom mechanism fall apart from under two years of use.

Did they give any explanation for that?
    You've got to remember that most of the $1K is in the glass, not the housing and the mechanicals. It's not an "L" - though I have used it like one - something in the neighborhood of 30K-40K actuations. I'm quite happy that it lasted as long as it did before it went south on me.
  • picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    I persoanlly have mixed feelings about their service. The 1st time I dealt with them was several years ago with my 10d. I don't remember exactly what was wrong with it but after getting it back from them it had big two deep scratches down the back of the camera and the LCD, I was shocked that something like that would happen in their shop :cry I never fought it because I knew it would be a he said she said thing.

My two other experiences have been good, the equipment came back fixed and in a timely manner, in fact I think total time my lens was there last time was less then 2 weeks from ship date to return date.

I am disappointed though that my $1100 17-55is was already broken after only a year and a half. Just out of warranty, the repairs cost about $94.00.
  • chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    Scott - Glad to hear you had a good experience.

Likewise, I just received my 70-200 f/4L IS from Canon Service via fedex about an hour ago. They had to repair impact damage, doh! The damage below was fixed for $207. It tooks almost 3 weeks, but I'm happy with their level of communication.

So far, so good...although i just noticed that the AF seems VERY slow when shifting focus from a far object to a close object (perhaps 2 meters away). I don't recall that happening before, but then again, I only had the lens for 1 week before it fell out of my backpack! Looks like I need to get my hands on my brother's copy and compare the AF activity.

351321898_pr39S-L.jpg
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

chrisdg wrote:
    Scott - Glad to hear you had a good experience.

Likewise, I just received my 70-200 f/4L IS from Canon Service via fedex about an hour ago. They had to repair impact damage, doh! The damage below was fixed for $207. It tooks almost 3 weeks, but I'm happy with their level of communication.

So far, so good...although i just noticed that the AF seems VERY slow when shifting focus from a far object to a close object (perhaps 2 meters away). I don't recall that happening before, but then again, I only had the lens for 1 week before it fell out of my backpack! Looks like I need to get my hands on my brother's copy and compare the AF activity.

351321898_pr39S-S.jpg
    Ouch - That's gotta hurt. Your poooooor baby!!

As for the slow focusing, the 70-200 has a focus limiting switch on the barrel. Make sure you have it set correctly for the distance range in which you are focusing.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2008
    I had a great experience with their New Jersey center and they checked and repaired all of my equipment for free. They have a service center right here in NY 20 minutes from me, but it requires you to mail your stuff and I don't have the guts for that. I'll drive it to New Jersey.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com