Canon powershot G9

ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
edited September 19, 2008 in Cameras
I think im getting one of these black sweethearts!

I just have a question about the RAW format setting. I allways shoot in raw with my 20D and probably allways will..The thing is that i don´t really think that the old 20D gives me that much information to play with. The G9 is newer and has more pixels ( i know, pixels isnt everything ) but i jus thought that it might have more information?

How big are the rawfiles from the g9? and do they stand any processing?

Best regards // Arvid

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited September 3, 2008
    Arvan wrote:
    I think im getting one of these black sweethearts!

I just have a question about the RAW format setting. I allways shoot in raw with my 20D and probably allways will..The thing is that i don´t really think that the old 20D gives me that much information to play with. The G9 is newer and has more pixels ( i know, pixels isnt everything ) but i jus thought that it might have more information?

Best regards // Arvid

Arvan,

While the Canon G9 has some great attributes, don't underestimate the 20D.

The 20D is far better in low-light and high-ISO. The G9 is terribly convenient and does very well in good light and with flash used properly.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Arvan,

While the Canon G9 has some great attributes, don't underestimate the 20D.

The 20D is far better in low-light and high-ISO. The G9 is terribly convenient and does very well in good light and with flash used properly.

I am aware of that, but it is starting to fail me and dosnt work properly. So i thought i would get a G9 or a similair advanced p&s under the time il save up for a 5d mk 2 or a d700 setup.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Arvan wrote:
    I am aware of that, but it is starting to fail me and dosnt work properly. So i thought i would get a G9 or a similair advanced p&s under the time il save up for a 5d mk 2 or a d700 setup.
    Arvan, I own both the G9 and the 30d. Although I love my G9, it will never be a replacement for my 30d. As great as it is, it's not an SLR. Reasons include the relatively high noise on higher ISO (>100), shutter delay, and the way the controls are set up (normal for a P&S, but it takes more time and effort to change some things compared to an SLR).

If your 20d is starting to fail as you say, can you have it fixed? or stick it out long enough to have saved up for a new SLR?
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Arvan, the G9 is a great little camera but I can't imagine owning it as a replacement for a DSLR, I think you'll be disappointed having owned a 20D how it performs in certain situations, low light etc.

I would always consider it as a partner for a DSLR.

Charlie
  • Kilted1Kilted1 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 4, 2008
    I've been the happy owner of a G9 since July this year. I have no DSLR so this is my main digital camera at present.

Like a few have said here if you have a DSLR then you should concider the G9 as a back-up or some thing to use when you don't want to lugg too much stuff around.

I love the macro abilities of the G9 and the file sizes I'll check (I'm at work at present).

You'll be very happy with a G9 as long as you can live with the fact it isn't a DSLR
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited September 4, 2008
    Arvan wrote:
    ~11 to 12mb. They process very nicely, especially at iso 80 and 100, even 200 and 400 are quite acceptable. nod.gif

I love both my 30d and g9, and would have a very tough time deciding between them. I guess if I was forced to have one, I'd probably take the versatility and portability of the g9 (very personal though, hiking and motorcycling are two favorite activities, and they don't suit the bulky dslr well).
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Please note that the Canon G9 is listed as Out of Stock at Adorama and Discontinued at B&H, and those retailers who actually have some left have jacked up their prices. This had led to rampant rumors that a G10 or G11 is to be announced at Photokina this month.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    colourbox wrote:
    Please note that the Canon G9 is listed as Out of Stock at Adorama and Discontinued at B&H, and those retailers who actually have some left have jacked up their prices. This had led to rampant rumors that a G10 or G11 is to be announced at Photokina this month.

nod.gif Geo, anyone? Wider angle, standard (28mm, anyone?) Better digic, anyone? Gasp - larger sensor? ear.gif
    edited September 4, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    nod.gif Geo, anyone? Wider angle, standard (28mm, anyone?) Better digic, anyone? Gasp - larger sensor? ear.gif
    This was leaked a week ago, probably by accident:

http://img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=popphotog10leakql1.png
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    I've the 30D which has the same sensor and the processor as the 20D but only occasionally find the RAW lacking, usually with dynamic lighting or tonal gradation when shooting in the dark.

Can you be more specific about the troubles you are having?

Generally, I would suspect that the higher MP crammed into a tiny sensor will give you less leeway in terms of RAW processing.
    edited September 4, 2008
    colourbox wrote:

Well, given that I only bought a G9 about 6 weeks ago I would say you could almost guarantee it :cry

Charlie
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    Well, given that I only bought a G9 about 6 weeks ago I would say you could almost guarantee it :cry

Charlie

I bought my G9 a few weeks ago, despite the G10 rumors, and despite B&H having told me it was out of stock one day, but surprise, now we have 'em. Got mine as a companion to 40D, which I love but is just too big to carry around every day. Love the G9 - nice, sharp little camera, way more options than I'll ever use in my life time, fits in my bag, shoots in RAW. Only thing I don't love is no DPP. Sort of wish I'd waited, but sometimes, when you need a camera, you need a camera.
    edited September 19, 2008
    The G10 looks darn good, 28mm wide angle, and full manual controls on a P&S. I'm not thrilled about more megapixels, but it sure seems like Canon is placing a lot of faith in Digic 4, so I'm willing to try it. I've preordered it and hope to have one soon :D
    Andy wrote:
    The G10 looks darn good, 28mm wide angle, and full manual controls on a P&S. I'm not thrilled about more megapixels, but it sure seems like Canon is placing a lot of faith in Digic 4, so I'm willing to try it. I've preordered it and hope to have one soon :D

You don't have to rub it in :D

I'm also left wondering what my 1ds MKIII gives me over the 5D Mk II for the type of shooting I do. C'est la vie.

Charlie
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    Andy wrote:

The only miss for the G10 I see at the moment is the lack of a 2:3 format option, many of PS cameras offer that. It would be great to have on the job for quick candids, but only if I could mix those easily with DSLR shots. I hope the option is in there. Canon listed a wide format, but it is much wider than 2:3. I also wish it had a flip screen for very low shots or shots overhead on a monopod.
    patch29 wrote:
    The only miss for the G10 I see at the moment is the lack of a 2:3 format option, many of PS cameras offer that. It would be great to have on the job for quick candids, but only if I could mix those easily with DSLR shots. I hope the option is in there. Canon listed a wide format, but it is much wider than 2:3. I also wish it had a flip screen for very low shots or shots overhead on a monopod.
    It has 3:2 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_g10.asp

thumb.gif
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    Andy wrote:

If that's right sign me up, but Canon's site has a different list of image sizes on the G10 spec page. ne_nau.gif
    patch29 wrote:
    If that's right sign me up, but Canon's site has a different list of image sizes on the G10 spec page. ne_nau.gif
    Every new canon P&S I've used lately has the 3:2
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    Well..In my point of view..The panasonic lumix LX3 is just love at this time!

ONLY 10 megapixels = thank god!

neat format

good looking

good lens with f/2-2.8

3" screen

16:9

good noise capabilities

full manual controll just like the G10 and P6000..

Only flaw for me is that there is no viewfinder..But i can live with that =)
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    I am coming to the same conclusion about the LX-3 over the G10. I only wish they could combine the LX-3 with the G10's top panel dial configuration.