Sharing Secrets (DSS 7)

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited September 4, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well, idea 1 and 2 fell apart over the past 10 days so here we go at idea #3.

365142644_bKc2P-L.jpg

365142879_2ZLBg-L.jpg

Greatly appreciate any thoughts/comments/critiques!
E

Good? Bad? Keep Shooting??? 12 votes

1st photo
0% 0 votes
2nd photo
75% 9 votes
Go back to the drawing board
25% 3 votes

Comments

• VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Not my place to speak for others, but I've always stood by the mantra of not entering a similar photo of one already entered.

It was tough for me as I watched many of my own ideas being posted - with much more life than I could have given them. thumb.gif

I realized that it's helped me be more creative. wings.gif

P.S. I like #2. :D
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    #2 for me too!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Hey Velvt,
    I understand your point about posting similar shots as those already entered but have to disagree. When the theme was posted, I quickly thought of this shot and dismissed it as I figured it would be done by at least a half-dozen folks. I turned my sights instead on the other two ideas I had but both crashed and burned along the way. I may try to resurrect one but it probably can't be done well unless I can get down to shoot in Florida this weekend eek7.gif
    I think there is a fine line in these contests between coming up with similar ideas independently of each other and going out to copy someone's interpretation of the theme. This was an obvious interpretation of the theme (at least for me as the father of two kids) and hopefully won't come across as 'copying'. I don't think it is fair to consider posted entries as 'off limits'. There are those here who will post their entry immediately and modify it along the way and others who don't post until 1 hour til deadline. If both end up with similar takes on the theme, then it is up to the judges to decide on the better photo.
    Thanks for the comments and for choosing the second shot - I have to agree it is the better of the two. As it is, none of these shots came out exactly as I wanted but there is only so much direction that a 10 month old and almost-3 year old will takerolleyes1.gif
    E

ps - I just went into the entry thread to look at the posts and noticed that pemmett changed his title from the original Chinese Whispers to one with 'secrets'. The similar titles was not intentional - the only way I could get my son to play along here was to have him tell his sister a 'secret' which he kept trying to whisper into her ear. My title will be changed before entry.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    First off let me say that I would also go with #2.

As for posting a similiar image I think it is an individual choice to use a similiar idea or not. There are several images interpreting modern communications. Each one has their own value. If you have a good idea go for it. thumb.gif

regards,

Phil
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    The boys eyes in one totally say "ah, a secret", and he's thinking what he can do with it.

PS (males for sure)
    Growing with Dgrin

• VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    Hey Velvt,
    I understand your point about posting similar shots as those already entered but have to disagree. When the theme was posted, I quickly thought of this shot and dismissed it as I figured it would be done by at least a half-dozen folks. I turned my sights instead on the other two ideas I had but both crashed and burned along the way. I may try to resurrect one but it probably can't be done well unless I can get down to shoot in Florida this weekend eek7.gif
    I think there is a fine line in these contests between coming up with similar ideas independently of each other and going out to copy someone's interpretation of the theme. This was an obvious interpretation of the theme (at least for me as the father of two kids) and hopefully won't come across as 'copying'. I don't think it is fair to consider posted entries as 'off limits'. There are those here who will post their entry immediately and modify it along the way and others who don't post until 1 hour til deadline. If both end up with similar takes on the theme, then it is up to the judges to decide on the better photo.
    Thanks for the comments and for choosing the second shot - I have to agree it is the better of the two. As it is, none of these shots came out exactly as I wanted but there is only so much direction that a 10 month old and almost-3 year old will takerolleyes1.gif
    E

ps - I just went into the entry thread to look at the posts and noticed that pemmett changed his title from the original Chinese Whispers to one with 'secrets'. The similar titles was not intentional - the only way I could get my son to play along here was to have him tell his sister a 'secret' which he kept trying to whisper into her ear. My title will be changed before entry.

I appreciate how you feel. thumb.gif I think you're absolutely right about putting your own spin on a similar type photo and it be completely different.

I think everyone is unique in their own way. I've just always tried to keep my images from being similar to others because I couldn't take kind of competition as well as feeling like the gal on Prices Right always bidding $1 more than the very last guy. lol3.gif
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Hey E,

#2 is a stronger shot... though I think you could do much better, If you don't get a chance to shoot some more you could still play around with 2 in post... to me the conversion looks a little flat... you could brighten up your sons eyes, burn the highlights in the back ground and on your daughter's face which kind of blends with the BG now... there isn't a whole lot of dynamic range to play with in the shot because most of it is in shadow... but I still think you could tweek it... :D

Good luck!
    Winston