My Try @ a Sunflower

rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
edited September 4, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I took this last week end out in our garden. I used my Sony A700 and Sony 100mm f2.8 macro lens.
I hope you like it.

Ron

354235286_Wevs4-L-1.jpg
"The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95

Comments

• RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Vibrant colors, and well composed shot. The focus is a bit off though.
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Vibrant colors, and well composed shot. The focus is a bit off though.

15524779-Ti.gif

You may just need to sharpen it a bit.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Thanks for the feed back guys!! When you say the focus is off, is this because you would like to see the whole sunflower in focus?

Thanks, Ron

Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    ront wrote:
    Thanks for the feed back guys!! When you say the focus is off, is this because you would like to see the whole sunflower in focus?

Thanks, Ron
    Well, not necessarily the whole flower.

This was shot f/5 @ 1/125 sec. In this case the 1/125 sec. should have been enough to "stop" any movement of the flower. However the image looks as though sunflower may have been moving somewhat.

Even if it is not that you still were fairly close with that lens @ 100mm. So, at f/5 the DOF is going to be very small. Given the angle of the lens relative to the plane of the bloom there will be minimal DOF. In this case I would have closed the aperture to f/11 or more, and adjusted the ISO settings to compensate so that the exposure was still faster than 1/(focal length).
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Thanks David! I really appreciate the suggestions!

Ron

• jbrooksjbrooks Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 4, 2008
    Agree w/ focus.

Against a solid blue background like that, and given the angle from which you are shooting the subject, I was thinking it would look better in full focus. But, I might have to see it to know for sure.