Introduction and request for help with DSS #7

RebeccaHelmRebeccaHelm Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited September 7, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
(Thanks so much for all your thoughts! I've taken out the photos no one seemed to prefer. I took everyone's thoughts on composition and subject and took another photo last night with all these things in mind (#6). I'm very happy with how it turned out, but am open to criticism as it looks like today will be our last day of sun through Monday :)).
First- Hello all!!! My name is Rebecca and I’m really excited to be here. I’ve been at SM for about 6 mo and kept reading about these competitions, but never put 2 and 2 together as to where they were :) It’s great to be here at last and I’m so excited to be have my little photos next to yall’s amazing shots! <o:p> </o:p>
Next, I’m hoping you guys might be feeling up to giving a bit of advice. Yesterday was the first non-rainy day we’ve had in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Cape Town</st1:city></st1:place> since the challenge began, so I took a lot of pictures and now I’m torn as to what pic I should submit. (Or if I should try to take some more with a similar or different angle). Do any of the below particularly speak to you? Should I try taking more shots? The idea was a "message in a bottle" and the title would be either that or something like "a last hope".

<o:p> </o:p>
[FONT=&quot]Thanks so much in advance! It’s great to be here[/FONT]!!

365453733_ccEvD-XL.jpg

365453742_wLmDX-L.jpg

365453745_b9tjK-L.jpg

366030526_go3PB-XL.jpg

Comments

• peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Welcome aboard Rebecca.

For me, out of these there are three that stand-out, #2, 4 and 5.

They firstly get me because the theme is there, especially in #5 and they also attract me because aside from the theme, they are well composed and they have a good emotion to them. The conversion is also well done.

If I had to put my finger on one image in particular, it would be close between #2 and 5 and perhaps the idea of the message being received is stronger in #5, but I just keep coming back to #2 because I like it as an image.

I don't know how much Photoshop work you do, but the only thing I could think to make #2 stronger would be to have a look at this tutorial and then drop an SOS mark onto the bottle.

Good luck with your entry.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Hi Rebecca and welcome from another relative newbie. I think that you will enjoy being a part of this community. From personnal experience, you will definitely learn a lot by being here.

I like #2 and #4. I think #4 is a bit stonger than #2 because of the lightness (contrast?) of the surrounding sand. To me #2 seems just a tad dark. As far as titles go, "Message In A Bottle" works but if something else comes to mind I come back and post it later. Good luck!

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    wave.gif Hi Rebecca,

I find myself being pulled toward #5 because the hand reaching out to the bottle tells a story. Is is possible to bring some detail out on the paper inside the bottle?

Another favorite of mine is #4. I really like the perspective in that photo and how I can see the ocean through the glass but I keep wishing I could see the entire bottle. But that's just me. ne_nau.gif

#2 is another strong candidate. thumb.gif

You have several fine photos to choose from!! clap.gif
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Very cool idea. #4 is the strongest of the bunch for me.
    Welcome and good luck,
    E
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Love your idea, that was an idea I was playing with as well. For me I like #5 the best! Good luck!thumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    I like 2. I think the water drops on the bottle add to the whole composition. Nice work....and WELCOME
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    Hello, and welcome Rebecca! I can tell already that you will fare well in these competitions, great shots. My fav is # 2. I would like #4 even better if the sky had some clouds, and perhaps the full bottle was in view. I love the angle and ground detail thumb.gif
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • RebeccaHelmRebeccaHelm Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    Thank you everyone for all your thoughts! I took everyone's advice and tried to get a strong photo with all the elements that people said they liked (#6). I'm new to photoshop so aside from following the black and white tutorial I haven't done much. This weekend I'm going to try and remove that pesky little spot (bird?) over the bottle top, but wanted to post it quickly as a way to say "thanks" :) Also, I'd be open to any thoughts or criticism as always. And if I've got rosy glasses on and #6 is actually not so great, I'd love to hear that too :)

You guys ROCK!
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    From where I sit and look at it, #6 is a good development of the concept. There is a stronger link to the communication aspect because the message hasn't just been sent, it's now also about to be received, plus everything is highly visible in the high contrast area of the image.

Really works in my view and #6 is stronger than any of the earlier images.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    From where I sit and look at it, #6 is a good development of the concept. There is a stronger link to the communication aspect because the message hasn't just been sent, it's now also about to be received, plus everything is highly visible in the high contrast area of the image.

Really works in my view and #6 is stronger than any of the earlier images.

Regards,

Peter

15524779-Ti.gif
  • MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    I gasped when I saw this entry! A winner in my eyes. It's brilliant! I wish I had thought of it!
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    I still like #2.

I like the graycales on this photo and whites (highlights) not blown out.

The theme communication to me is all encompassing, so many varied thoughts on it, it amazes me. There is communication all around us, from the songs the birds sing, to the wind that rushes thru the trees.

Number two, along with the title "The Last Hope" makes me see beyond. I imagine someone stranded on an island, and this is their only hope of communication, when this person sent that bottle out to the sea, they could only Hope that it would be found. To see the bottle with the drops on it and the calm of the sea in the b/g makes me think even further, it makes my mind wander to the next thought...Will this primitive form of communication be found??

I believe photography should make a person think beyond sometimes and not just look at the esthetics and say "That is pretty", #2 did that for me.. I have a beginning without an ending and I am free to make up my own ending...:D

Nice work on all of them. Good luck with which ever you decide on.

Peace
    Donna P.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • RebeccaHelmRebeccaHelm Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    Tentacion wrote:
    I still like #2.

I like the graycales on this photo and whites (highlights) not blown out.

The theme communication to me is all encompassing, so many varied thoughts on it, it amazes me. There is communication all around us, from the songs the birds sing, to the wind that rushes thru the trees.

Number two, along with the title "The Last Hope" makes me see beyond. I imagine someone stranded on an island, and this is their only hope of communication, when this person sent that bottle out to the sea, they could only Hope that it would be found. To see the bottle with the drops on it and the calm of the sea in the b/g makes me think even further, it makes my mind wander to the next thought...Will this primitive form of communication be found??

I believe photography should make a person think beyond sometimes and not just look at the esthetics and say "That is pretty", #2 did that for me.. I have a beginning without an ending and I am free to make up my own ending...:D

Nice work on all of them. Good luck with which ever you decide on.

Peace
    Donna P.

Oh my Donna! You just said exactly what I was hoping the #2 photograph did! Now this is going to be a very rough choice! Thank you so much for sharing this with me. I've never had someone express exactly what I was hoping they would see with a photograph, I feel very honored.