New 24-70 IS?

Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited September 8, 2008 in Cameras
According to some DPReview members, Canon is whipping out the 24-70 L f2.8 IS! :bow

I hope this is true! ..even though I only bought my 24-70 three months ago..
Which means I might have to sell it to upgrade it! :rofl
Food & Culture.
www.tednghiem.com

Comments

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    According to some DPReview members, Canon is whipping out the 24-70 L f2.8 IS! bowdown.gif

Which means I might have to sell it to upgrade it! rolleyes1.gif
    Cool! A few weeks back I was really hoping my 24-70 had IS. I have thought about trading for the 24-105/4 instead, get the image stabilizer and more reach, but losing a full stop of light is... well... let's just say that fast glass is very addictive and very useful.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    That's the rumor I heard as well.
    It's about time they upgraded the lens. I hope they don't jack up the price too much.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    That's the rumor I heard as well.
    It's about time they upgraded the lens. I hope they don't jack up the price too much.

Me too.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    I bought the 70-200/2.8 L non-IS over the IS version because
    of its better wide open performance. The same thing will likely
    happen when there is a 24-70/2.8 IS that costs more and performs
    less than the previous version. IS isn't worth every tradeoff imho.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    According to some DPReview members, Canon is whipping out the 24-70 L f2.8 IS! bowdown.gif

Which means I might have to sell it to upgrade it! rolleyes1.gif

If this ends up being true I might change over to the 24-70... then I'd have full compatibility should the 5d Mk2 rumors be true and I end up upgrading to full frame...
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    If this ends up being true I might change over to the 24-70... then I'd have full compatibility should the 5d Mk2 rumors be true and I end up upgrading to full frame...

Welcome to the fold, Shima! :D
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • ajlipeajlipe Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 6, 2008
    I have the 24-70L and and am perfectly happy without IS.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited September 7, 2008
    ajlipe wrote:
    I have the 24-70L and and am perfectly happy without IS.

Hi ajlipe, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I have to admit that there are times I really do like the IS feature. I do like to remember that the IS can be turned off when I don't need it.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Hi ajlipe, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I have to admit that there are times I really do like the IS feature. I do like to remember that the IS can be turned off when I don't need it.

Yeah Ziggy, right on as always! It's all about options and the choices you make! Do I need IS right now? Sure do. Do I need it for this setting? I don't think so. It's all about options.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    For a lens of that focal length, I wouldn't think IS is mandatory... just bump the ISO.

Plus it's a boat anchor already... adding another 1/2 pound will make it pretty rough as a walk-around lens.

I can see it on the 70-200 (and on the 24-105 as it's an f4) but I won't be upgrading, I know that much mwink.gif
  • timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    This has to be one of the oldest running Canon lens rumors... I think it comes up every time PMA or Photokina are "in town". naughty.gif
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    cool... too bad i wont be able to afford either the new IS one or the old one...lol :D
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap