American driver in Sweden

BalzaniiBalzanii Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited September 6, 2008 in Sports
I visit a small place in south Sweden called Gislaved to watch speedway. The visiting team have an American driver from California. Greg Hancock one of the GP-drivers in the World Champions Leage. This is how I did see him everytime he raced, in the front

364914661_vpWQj-L.jpg
E-500, E-420, Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5,
Zuiko digital 14-45mm 1:3,5-5,6, Zuiko Digital 35mm F3.5 Macro

Comments

• fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Those guys are CRAZY! They used to have one of those tracks near my house but it never really caught on.

Now we have MotoGP coming to town so we'll see how that does. Should be fun!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    We get a lot of Speedway in the UK, we have a local team Poole Pirates, http://www.poolespeedway.net/ (who are top of the league at present). Speedway in the UK and Europe is very popular again with coverage of UK league matches, World Grand Prix and some Internationals.

Many riders of the other motorcycling disciplines respect the Speedway rider, how many other riders will race around an enclosed track at speeds approaching 70mph without any brakes while rubbing elbows with three other competitors. I have seen some horrifying crashes and the riders get up and walk away, gets on another bike and goes racing again.

I am thinking about contacting the promoters of the local team next year and see if I can get pass to go onto the centre green (inside the oval track) and take some pictures for one of the matches next season. Could be interesting.

Tim
  • fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    Heh. Centre green. I love how we speak the same language but never say the same thing. I buy a pit pass for access to the infield (centre green) when my uncle races at our local short track oval.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 5, 2008
    Used to be pretty big around here but the price of real estate drove the track owners out. Here is California.

Nice picture too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • BalzaniiBalzanii Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Used to be pretty big around here but the price of real estate drove the track owners out. Here is California.

Nice picture too.
    So thats the reason why they place all the tracks here in Sweden in the middle of nowhere.
  • BalzaniiBalzanii Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    There was a coupple of photographer in the centerfield of this track to.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 6, 2008
    Balzanii wrote:
    So thats the reason wy they place all the tracks here in Sweden in the middle of nowhere.

Most of the area (near San Jose, California) was agricultural. It was the middle of nowhere. Then came electronics followed by loads of people.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?