new guy needs help

Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
edited September 7, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Greetings,

I am new to posting here but have been lurking in he light for a little over a year, and have been amazed at the skill level of the members who post.

I finally decided to jumb in with both feet, I love these challenges, very exercise in creativity.

My problem, I worked on several ideas for the current challenge and now find myself vacillating on which one to enter.

My current choices include;

362936516_wRR9u-L.jpg

365610603_hZbY7-L.jpg

365610512_gSEqt-L.jpg

365362936_czBsC-L.jpg

Your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.

P
I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    I like 1 & 4, but prefer 1 (your original entry). Just one person's opinion.

Dan
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Welcome to the list and challenges.

I think the last two come close. Are you anywhere near this place? There's a great image waiting to be captured on that corner. I think you ought to go back and recompose. I'd take a fresh look at this corner from all angles and see what I could come up with.

My 2 cents.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Hi Roadie, I like 1 4, but like your current entry in the challenge...gives me a feel of the 1950's etc. Nice Capture
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    #4 for surethumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    I like 1 & 4, but prefer 1 (your original entry). Just one person's opinion.

Dan

Agree from a content standpoint, but I do prefer the generally higher contrast in image #2 vs #1. In particular, look at the "Read All About It" sign: grey in #1 and white in #2. By the way, that could be a good title for this entry
    edited September 4, 2008
    Halite wrote:
    Agree from a content standpoint, but I do prefer the generally higher contrast in image #2 vs #1. In particular, look at the "Read All About It" sign: grey in #1 and white in #2. By the way, that could be a good title for this entry

Good point thumb.gif
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    I'm gonna be the odd man(woman) out this time, I guess. lol3.gif

I absolutely love #3! clap.gif

Speaks for itself, IMHO. thumb.gif
    edited September 4, 2008
    OK, it's final, and conclusive 1,2,3,4 rolleyes1.gif
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    #1wings.gif

It's a great PJ shot with a three stories in it - the cashier and customer, mom and son and that guy in the back. I love that shot and had it in my top 3 after looking at the current entries...
    E
    edited September 4, 2008
    nobody is communicating in #1ne_nau.gif

i guess me and E see it far differently...thumb.gif

and velvet, im glad im not the only odd one...hahahathumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    nobody is communicating in #1ne_nau.gif

i guess me and E see it far differently...thumb.gif

and velvet, im glad im not the only odd one...hahahathumb.gif

:D
  • RebeccaHelmRebeccaHelm Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    Hi RoadDog wave.gif

I'm new to these challenges as well, and it's amazing how much great stuff has already been submitted. All these shots are fantastic, and obviously you have a lot of fans!

I personally like #1 and #4. If I had to pick, I'd say 4. Obviously there's a lot of variation in opinion out there (because they are all very good!), so I'll try and explain why I chose those two.

#1 It's busy and chaotic, a nice element, but as mentioned before there are a couple of great stories within the single image that stand out. It is well composed with the action moving from L to R, which is always nice.

#4 I really like this one. It is very well composed- with the empty corner on the R and the covered poll on the L. The black and white lends itself to the busy text and generates nice, aesthetically pleasing high contrast. The single man in the center frame draws the whole image together, lending an element of simplicity to the frantic background. The man does so in such a way that there is a great dialog between the background and the person, the two complement each other perfectly. It's modern, because the man looks like he's dressed for today's society, but it has a timeless element as well.

So, that's my 2 cents. Welcome and great job!!!
    edited September 5, 2008
    Hi RoadDog wave.gif

I'm new to these challenges as well, and it's amazing how much great stuff has already been submitted. All these shots are fantastic, and obviously you have a lot of fans!

I personally like #1 and #4. If I had to pick, I'd say 4. Obviously there's a lot of variation in opinion out there (because they are all very good!), so I'll try and explain why I chose those two.

#1 It's busy and chaotic, a nice element, but as mentioned before there are a couple of great stories within the single image that stand out. It is well composed with the action moving from L to R, which is always nice.

#4 I really like this one. It is very well composed- with the empty corner on the R and the covered poll on the L. The black and white lends itself to the busy text and generates nice, aesthetically pleasing high contrast. The single man in the center frame draws the whole image together, lending an element of simplicity to the frantic background. The man does so in such a way that there is a great dialog between the background and the person, the two complement each other perfectly. It's modern, because the man looks like he's dressed for today's society, but it has a timeless element as well.

So, that's my 2 cents. Welcome and great job!!!

Great critique. I also love your entry. Would you critique mine :D
  • chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    #4 is my choice.

Out of all the ads screaming for attention, one poster caused this man to stop what he was doing, face the wall, and read. Communication!
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    Thank you all for the comments, thoughts and ideas. I apoligize for not responding sooner, but shortly after my originally posting this thread I spent 24 hours in the hospital for some scheduled repairs. All is well.

1 and four or my favorites. I like them both alot but I am leaning towards #4 simply because I find that bit of motion blur in the area of the woman and boy to be a bit distracting.

But there is still time and, and as Jeff suggested I may venture back into the city Saturday or Sunday to try and hone one or both of these images.

Thanks again for your input, there are so many good ideas and images already posted for this challenge. I look forward to seeing more.thumb.gif

Regards,

P
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
    edited September 5, 2008
    ouch. im imagining the tinman in the wizard of oz
    Aaron Nelson
  • bsharpbsharp Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    Halite wrote:

I also like # 2 for these reasons:
    #1 is too busy. My eye keeps jumping around because there is no focal point in the image. Too many people doing too many things. #2 allows you to focus on the one man reading, facing into the rest of the image. My eye then scans the rest of the image. I barely notice the other woman in the shot.

With #3 and #4, the large posters at the top shout Sing Sing, which is very distracting. That is where your eye is drawn. If that had been cropped out, I think it would be a better image.

Between #3 and #4, I would have to go with #4 because it has a person in the image, which becomes the focal point. I think it would have been better if he had not been almost dead center.

Just some thoughts that are worth what you paid me.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    My eyes are focused on 1 and 4.

I'll try to be brief...lol (hard for me, cuz I tend to ramble..lol)

I love the business of #1, which in this day and age is a perfect interpretation of communication (to me at least)...We are overwhelmed by all the means of communication, but when you look at it, we are brought back to the basics of communication, READING. The world is a hustle and bustle sort of place and you have depicted it well in this. I like also how you brought in the cell phone and it brings us back to present day age....

I like # 4, but have to say I would like it much better if the photo was cropped in from the left, to about the white line running down the center of the pole, thus bringing your subject out of the center, and thus surrounding him with all the advertisements, then my eye (as a viewer) would not want to wander down the path behind the pole as it is now presented.

So, I hope, I was brief, and that you understand what I am trying to explain.

Nice Work, Kudos, and Good Luck with whichever you choose to enter.

Peace,
    Donna P.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote